Screw-retaining-intermediate-firing needle-withdrawal- lever

Discussion in 'RAC' started by liverpool49, Jan 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey All
    Any of you old tankies remember what it was??

2. Hmmm...was it a screw that prevented the withdrawal lever that acted on the intermediate firing needle from disengaging?

Something like that anyway...

Bored on a Saturday - off for a run...

3. Mmmmmmmm was it on the Saladin 76mm, then later on the Scorpian?

4. life just does not get any sadder
    [​IMG]
    :thumleft:

5. or this

6. Yes, but the longest named part in your regiment was 'saddle' :)

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Do we care or can you find it on a bottle of Carslberg :numberone:

8. Now I heard, although I cant say if it's true, that all things can be found if enough Carsberg bottle botoms are looked at. I think it's called 'a six pack beauty queen' but I than again, who knows.

9. Good job 'Butler' a master sleuth if ever there was one!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Core blimey you kids with your Dinky toys. No wonder these latter day MBT's ie, Chieftan, and Challenger are like kiddies pedal cars designed by the Early Learning Centre ........... Do they run a day course, I found that you just steer them,.........REAL tank driving NEEDS REAL MEN. Screw retaining etc, etc, was first used in the Centurion main armament breech block, the rounds were fired electricaly and all susequent main armaments. The afore mentioned screw, retained the lever that withdrew a firing needle ( as it did'nt have a firing pin), because the needle was in contact with the base of the round it could be damaged if it was not drawn clear when the breech opened. When the breech closed. the firing needle moved forward again into a firing position. :cheers:

11. Core blimey you kids with your Dinky toys. No wonder these latter day MBT's ie, Chieftan, and Challenger are like kiddies pedal cars designed by the Early Learning Centre ........... Do they run a day course, I found that you just steer them,.........REAL tank driving NEEDS REAL MEN. Screw retaining etc, etc, was first used in the Centurion main armament breech block, the rounds were fired electricaly and all susequent main armaments. The afore mentioned screw, retained the lever that withdrew a firing needle ( as it did'nt have a firing pin), because the needle was in contact with the base of the round it could be damaged if it was not drawn clear when the breech opened. When the breech closed. the firing needle moved forward again into a firing position. :cheers:

12. Cor blimey, 2 rounds, same lay.

Is that a double tap?

13. I remember the last 12 Centurion dryclads out in Hong Kong.......with C Sqn 16/5L. They had the honourous duty of driving them down to Kowloon in the middle of the night to get them onto an LST to go for resale. I sort of remember there was a bit of a hoohar about the road damage!!!!... "Honest Gov...it must hae been construction equipment...we've got CVR(T)!!!!!!!

14. wasnt their something about a dogs head in the left track as well??? remember someone from C Sqdn telling us that?

15. actually I believe it was Jus**n Or***le Clem**t Sh****y Po**er Joh***n
    a very nice chap and he never touched a saddle :highfive: