Screensize Question, affecting those using old monitors

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Opinion from those on old monitors please (1024 x 768, probably an old style CRT monitor rather than a flat screen TFT/LCD)

I was looking at a site issue when I realised how poor the site is to use on old 1024x768 pixel monitors. The sidebar takes up too much space, ads overlap and so on. It's very quick to change this so that the side bar drops away off the screen to the right and the main column fills the monitor. The only disadvantage is that the header also hangs off to the right.

Would you prefer the first screenshot (IMHO improved), to the 2nd, which is as it is now?

2. Not just confined to old 1024x768 pixel monitors. My netbook settings (widescreen) look like the second screenshot, and I would prefer if it looked like the first.

Edited to add; It's the same on my Windows Phone.
  3. When using my iPad, the 'likes' counter at the top of the page covers up the thread page numbers.

Not a massive pain, but I reckon with your (upper) screen shot, this would cure it.

No problems with my PC Monitor, currently set at 1280 x 1024

But I'm voting for change. (If in fact there is a vote!)
  4. This is my screen 1680 x 1050:

My screen.jpg
  5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks Emsav, but I'm concerned with small monitors on this thread rather than large ones. You have the option to reduce your browser size if the column width bothers you, but those on smaller monitors obviously can't do the reverse.

I'm going to make the change and we can always change back if there are cries of protest
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

If it generally gets the thumbs up and when I have time, I'll look at making the header adjust itself, but that's not such a quick job.

This will cause some issues on 800px wide monitors as the main column will be wider than the monitor, but they are now very rare, except on some smart phones, like mine in fact so I'll see how I find it.

Mobile issues will be addressed with a mobile template shortly.
  7. Just taken a photo of my iPad showing the squashed/overwritten problem. Not sure if that helps at all?

8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Should be Ok now if you force a refresh (clear cache). I forgot about ipads.
  9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hold on i've got a flat screen and now it's too big and i've to scroll to the right to see the right side of pages?
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Ditto!
  12. This might sound stupid but I had a similar problem, it was not until my grand-daughter altered the resolution of my monitor for me that I was able to see the full width of the page. Might be worth a try - do not know how she did it..
  13. Why are concerning ourselves with poor people struggling along with old technology..the way forward is to pander to those of us with mega large screens that have a myriad of options..'choice' is the buzzword..I thank you sir..
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Looks great on the main site, but in the groups section the main page still hangs off the right side making it hard to read the thread! :)
  15. Yes it appears worse on the groups page, but look at the bottom right hand side of this page it's the same.