Screen resolutions

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Litotes, Aug 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I plug my laptop into my HD telly (1920*1080 pixels) and remember to set it to HDMI output (look, I'm an IT biff and it only took me 3 days to work out that was the fault...) which is 1280*800, then my desktop occupies about 2/3rds of the television screen.

Remembering that I am an IT biff, am I correct that, in order to drive the telly at maximum resolution, I will have to buy a bigger and better laptop, capable of driving the HDMI output at 1920*1080?

Grateful for any advice!

2. Whats the make and model of the laptop? And what operating system?

Likely you should just need to go into display settings and slide the resolution slider alll the way across.

Also if that resolution is the same as your laptop display, it could be you've set it to duplicate your laptop display, which will limit it to the resolution of your lappy display. If you choose just to output to tv, or extend desktop, on nearly any laptop you should be able to get it displaying to full resolution for your tv

3. It's a Samsung R510 which appears to have a maximum resolution of 1280*800.

I take your point about the HDMI resolution being limited to the laptop screen. I hadn't thought of that and will have a go switching off the laptop's screen.

4. Thats hopefully thr problem, as that laptops display card should be more than capable (unlike my spelling)

Sent from the crapper using crappatalk
  5. Bingo!!!

Thank you, Stapd, it works beautifully!