Screen problems during boot-up

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Tartan_Terrier, Mar 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi troops,
    My computer/screen is playing up and it's driving me insane!

About three times out of four when I try to switch on my computer my screen dies during the boot sequence. There's still power to the screen, but it's as if it loses contact with the computer, and goes into stand-by mode.

Once it's past the start phase, the screen works fine, and can quite happily stay switched on for hours at a time, and it usually does (mostly because I can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to switch it back on again if I switch it off).

I'm at a bit of a loss at to what it could be, my first thought was that it was a virus, but I've scanned it a shedload of times and haven't found anything.

Have any of you computer gurus heard of, or experienced anything similar?

Any suggestions as to a cure?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Is it onboard graphics? or pci or vga?
    IF its onboard try a vga card or vice versa, sounds if your graphics is on its way out.
  3. If it is a graphics card, have you updated the drivers recently(ever)?
  4. msr

msr LE

Is the cable in tightly at both ends?

5. Most screens have a button to access the default settings. If you press that, does it light up when the screen is working normally and when it isn't?

6. Check leads....

if not....

Can I suggest 'Borrowing another screen and trying the computer with that

Screens are pretty strieght forward objects and swapping and changing
    is a piece of cake as they are usually Plug & play

(that said your computer might question the new hardware and find the best possible driver etc)

see if you can then illiminate if the screen is the problem or not?

if problem continues....

Could be the graphics card - either a conflict (new game added recently?)

or graphic cards fcuked - new one £60+

Depending on your computer skills I would hand it in to a local dealer and let him sort it as it could also be the motherboard...
  7. Hi again,
    I've now got a new computer, and in the meantime the old one has died completely. Unfortunately though, I've still got a load of stuff on it that I'd like to keep.

I was thinking about borrowing a card, emptying the computer and than binning it, but I'm not sure how easy that'd be. Are graphics cards usually plug and play?

If not, are there any other ways of retrieving the files? Can it be done by simply connecting the two with a usb lead?
  8. Cow

Cow LE

Put the old harddrive in the new computer, quickest way to transfer all the old stuff. You can then fomat it once finished with and have more space to save 'movies'.
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

TT, just open the old PC, remove the hard drive, then install it in your new PC and theres all your old data. And a spare hard disk.

Beaten to it by Cow :)
  10. Nice idea, but my new computer is a laptop.
  11. Vaseline, a large hammer and a jemmy will assist you.
  12. Yes indeed, that sounds like a typical Saturday night.

But what about the computer?
  13. Buy an external HDD caddy, put it inside, and connect it to your laptop via USB

Use google and search for "external 5.25" hdd caddy"

Plenty out there. You'll then have an external HDD to use as storage.
  14. One of these?
  15. msr

msr LE