SCRDE tropical DPM Pre 1980's

Something you don't see everyday , a trial pair from the late 60's or early 70's of the tropical trousers

a.jpg
e.jpg
d.jpg
b.jpg

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Not sure whether to be impressed or take the piss...

Very late seventies I’d say.

In Guyana in 1975 and in Cyprus in 1976, we were issued with the olive green or OG trousers and shirts.

I left my battalion and the army in late 1977 and they went off on a two year posting to Hong Kong in early 1978.

Photo’s of the lads in Hong Kong show them wearing OG’s and later on during the Hong Kong posting, tropical DPM.

So I’d say timewise issued, definitely a little later than the 60’s given that 1RGJ must have been issued with them sometime in 1978 or 1979!

Just taking a shot in the dark, but I am guessing the op is the bloke who’s been buying all the trials pattern kit that Hogspears has been selling off on eBay recently.

Very late seventies I’d say.

In Guyana in 1975 and in Cyprus in 1976, we were issued with the olive green or OG trousers and shirts.

I left my battalion and the army in late 1977 and they went off on a two year posting to Hong Kong in early 1978.

Photo’s of the lads in Hong Kong show them wearing OG’s and later on during the Hong Kong posting, tropical DPM.

So I’d say timewise issued, definitely a little later than the 60’s given that 1RGJ must have been issued with them sometime in 1978 or 1979!
Snap. Singapore from '69 - '73 everyone was still wearing OG's.

1KOSB were issued them in 1977 for a Kenya exercise and retained them for a Belize tour beginning of '78... we were also issued OGs in Belize which were worn for Regimental Guard Mounting in APC... ISTR the Guard had to do a quick change into tropical combats immediately after Guard Mounting!!

Last edited:

JackSofty

Old-Salt
Tropical trousers were my go-to lower end garb for most scenarios and, as they were all a duller dpm than most issues of said kit, were tolerated by SNCOs and DS until a rather large Sandhurst Cadet limpet attached herself to our rabble sporting the brightest array of splodges North of 23.5’.
Cue crimson bloom and steam from DS WO1
“You! Fcuk off, get changed out of those effin’ tropicals and don’t get back until you can resemble a human being.”
“Hah, what a fool.” thinks I.
Inevitable pressure of steely gaze. DS points at self and a mate
“And you two herberts can fark off and do likewise!”

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Latest Threads