Scrapping Trident nuclear missiles 'would save £83.5bn'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rayc, Mar 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rayc

Rayc RIP

• Like Like x 1
  2. when the rest of the world stop building them for some reason, and they are not required as a deterent in a world that see's the crusader as liable for all wrong doings, we vcan get rid of them, but until then please calculate the cost of london turning into glass ?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Why not for once consider national security as a priority over the security of an easy life for those who can't be bothered to get out of bed in the morning? How about that for a novelty?

Not going to hang around waiting for happen but it was a nice thought.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Agree'd, defending the Country instead of abused/increased welfare payments, oh hold on the abused, not needed payments for some only account for a small percentage.

Mind you the Social bill isn't a political football, all the amendments going threw the lords/commons is tangible evidence of that.
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Those who think that the Treasury would allow the savings from scrapping a major programme to be spent elsewhere in defence would have another think coming.

And those who think a credible deterrent could be based on a much shorter range missile (and therefore a more detectable platform) have missed the whole point of the exercvise - the credibility is based on the utter inability of any enemy to interdict the platform.

Oh dear we've been over this SO often ever since we worked out that V-bombers with Blue Streak couldn't cut it because of the vulnerability in spite of dispersal arrangeents etc. Groundhog day again and again.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. The biggest chunk of money (65%) from the DWP goes on Pensioners, maybe it's time for a seasonal cull...!
  7. Or we could just shut down the NHS for four or five months and have a whole new Trident system for a couple of decades.
  8. £1.86 billion a year.
    Its a bargain really. Take it off the EU contributions, sack a couple of nurses, I don't care, but Trident (and its replacement) is a bargain.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. When the idle masses turn up with fictitious ailments and injuries, just shoot the ***** and wheel 'em straight down to the morgue..
  10. How did I guess upon seeing the title that this would be a Guardian link? In other news scrapping the armed forces would save £33+ billion p.a. If the Guardian's position that is it's justified to scrapping things just because they are expensive I suppose it is time to start rounding up and shooting the needy. I bet those NHS hospitals would burn well too.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Scrapping Trident does make sense, in a world like this where we have bent over backwards to support the USA its about time that they paid us back by either giving us shedloads of the stuff for free or covering our arses for free. Its not as if we can use the stuff without their say so, so why spaff money away on soggy rockets when we cant afford to put tanks out to play?
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

And I wholeheartedly support pulling out of the Eu and sending all the visitors home so we can force our idle to do those jobs!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I think it should be a case of "use it or lose it". Next time Iran, N Korea or some jihadi shithole kick-off again, lets just mallet them properly with a big T instead of pissing around with whats left of our conventional forces. Bet that would make the world sit up and take notice that GB hasn't quite gone down the plughole yet....
    • Like Like x 9
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

**** yes 100%
    • Like Like x 2