Scrap rules

Just_plain_you

War Hero
If it's a small amount of scrap it's probably not worth the effort. If it's a large amount the person who knows the policy will be dealing with it.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you think you can use the money for something you want, even if you think it will benefit your sub unit, that way Colchester lies. It belongs to the CO/QM.
Er, no....it belongee Queenie-in-big-house.

Their worships the Commanding Orifice and the Queue are accountable to Her Madgeness for safeguarding her property.

To be fair, it was rarely anyone deserving that profited from handling scrap. Whilst there was lots of Christmas parties funded by the scrapie, there was no doubt a lot more retirement funds built up.
I wish that were the case!!!

Where have the days of "it's a big firm" gone? It is well known that the British Soldiers finest skill after winning battles was in the art of "procurement".
It stopped the day I retired.

It is well known that the British Soldiers finest skill after winning battles was in the art of "procurement".
Something I used to refer to as employing one's "Soldierly Instincts" !!

It stopped the day I retired.
What has happened to the training regime? I think that is where the problem stems from. Do company commanders no longer ORDER the retrieval of rival companies trophy cabinet contents? ORDER a side of ham, cheese and bread from the cookhouse? flags, mess silver, vehicles........the list goes on. It was sport and if you got caught, either way you got battered or extras for a good few weekends for bringing the company/bty into disrepute!
I have been out since 97 and only run out of Fospro last year, alot of my toolbox contents seems to have crows feet on (apart from that britool shit that I wouldn't nick if I was paid)
Where have all the " Soldierly instincts" as quoted gone?

What has happened to the training regime? I think that is where the problem stems from. Do company commanders no longer ORDER the retrieval of rival companies trophy cabinet contents? ORDER a side of ham, cheese and bread from the cookhouse? flags, mess silver, vehicles........the list goes on. It was sport and if you got caught, either way you got battered or extras for a good few weekends for bringing the company/bty into disrepute!
I have been out since 97 and only run out of Fospro last year, alot of my toolbox contents seems to have crows feet on (apart from that britool shit that I wouldn't nick if I was paid)
Where have all the " Soldierly instincts" as quoted gone?
They went a long time ago along with kidnapping for laughs, raiding the female accommodation, and dance of the flaming assholes (which never really disappeared), oh and being able to go whoring.

They went a long time ago along with kidnapping for laughs, raiding the female accommodation, and dance of the flaming assholes (which never really disappeared), oh and being able to go whoring.
No wonder we are undermanned! I was reading your response? Do I know you? as I can tick all four boxes and still do three, however kidnapping only involves the pub nowadays as I seem to be short of live runways to dump people on! If the pig board has gone the country is fcked :)
Back to the scrap though, there is no such thing as scrap or thieving it is re appropriation of materials and in todays society when recyclabes is a key phrase should be encouraged and not frowned upon...........

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

theinventor

Old-Salt
If all else fails, fall back on asking yourself: if the kit was still in service and broke, who'd be expected to buy a replacement? That's often a good indicator of whose budget still thinks they "own" it.
Should pass the Daily Mail test with that.

In the good old days it was called legitimate spoils of war, or booty..
There was, I believe a distinction between looting of equipment and possessions on the battle field and the subsequent taking of a town to enable payment of troops etc in previous centuries. I think the distinction was that once the fighting had ceased we were responsible for the maintenance of good order and there were plenty of antiquities being looted from the Messopotamian museums via Isreal and Lebanon into the antiques market-eyes passim- not to mention fakes that people like me had to look out for under cultural heritage licences. Even in previous centuries IIRC the limitation on Looting was laid down by CiC's.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
There was, I believe a distinction between looting of equipment and possessions on the battle field and the subsequent taking of a town to enable payment of troops etc in previous centuries. I think the distinction was that once the fighting had ceased we were responsible for the maintenance of good order and there were plenty of antiquities being looted from the Messopotamian museums via Isreal and Lebanon into the antiques market-eyes passim- not to mention fakes that people like me had to look out for under cultural heritage licences. Even in previous centuries IIRC the limitation on Looting was laid down by CiC's.
Spoilsports

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Many years ago, when my Bn was in Hong Kong, a delegation from the People's Liberation Army came over to view their future patch. One of them commented on the lovely silver dragons on the mantelpiece in the Mess, to be told that they were 'liberated' from the Emperor's summer palace in 1860. A diplomatic incident promptly kicked off when a demand for their return was given a robust response.

Latest Threads