Scrap rules

I have access to a load of scrap materiel. What r the rules for selling it off and using the proceeds?
Note that this is a finance question and not about knicking anything of profiting myself (too close to pension).

Green_Homer

War Hero

When you go to a scrap dealer you'll need to provide photo ID. It's not exactly necessary, proof of ownership of the scrap. Once they've weighed the scrap you'll probably be given a cheque.
Hope that helps.

Narrow down " scrap materials " ?

A load of busted washing machines
The main transformer for the District line which was stolen tomorrow.
What it is sin't relevant. The scrap will generate funds that I wish to manage. There is MOD legislation around this, do you know what I need to read etc to understand the rules?

Army scrap, or civvy scrap?

I hope none of it is weapon scrap.

What it is sin't relevant. The scrap will generate funds that I wish to manage. There is MOD legislation around this, do you know what I need to read etc to understand the rules?
Unless you have been contracted to remove the scrap and profit from it, that scrap still belongs to the MOD. Anything else is probably going to be regarded as theft (qv pension)

I have access to a load of scrap materiel. What r the rules for selling it off and using the proceeds?
Note that this is a finance question and not about knicking anything of profiting myself (too close to pension).

This will be you next week....................... ;)

1575606924642.png

Green_Homer

War Hero
The link I sent you is regarding selling scrap and the regs... If you have 'acquired' scrap from the MOD then you will need to have permission from them to own it (in writing), otherwise it's almost certainly theft / unlawful possession of Her Majesty's stores (Public Stores Act - Public Stores Act 1875 ). PSA is largely superseded by the Theft act but has a few little niches to it ;)
If you have legitimately own the metal then fill your boots - the scrap regs were brought in to provide an audit trail to deter metal theft by strangling the disposal point.

Last edited:

dontenn

War Hero
It is theft shit bust. I have witnessed careers end for less.

When you go to a scrap dealer you'll need to provide photo ID. It's not exactly necessary, proof of ownership of the scrap. Once they've weighed the scrap you'll probably be given a cheque.
Hope that helps.
When the current mrs_mush and I renovated a buy-to-let, we ended up with a fair bit of copper and lead scrap. Yes, photo-id was required but also a UK bank account for the payment to be made into, in the same name as the photo-id. No cheques, no cash. Oh and the reg number of the van we used to transport it was also recorded.

If it is MoD scrap, i.e sourced from government funds, it isn't yours to dispose of.
Your QM will have an account with a local scrappy and arrangements for funds to be returned to the unit.
If you think you can use the money for something you want, even if you think it will benefit your sub unit, that way Colchester lies. It belongs to the CO/QM.

Latest Threads