Scout problems

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by pongo6863, May 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the mid '60s I was being checked out on either a Scout or an Allouette (my memory's not that good any more!) and there was a persistent problem with the engine start relay. An erk with a small hammer was required to tap the aforementioned object to make it work and spin up the turbine. I was told the electrical cables were too small causing the voltage to drop below the operating requirements of the relay.
    Does anyone else remember this or is it just a delusion brought on by old age and an excess of blood in the alcohol stream?
  2. It was the Scout and many a chuckle I had at the passenger's expense when asked by the pilot to jump out of the cab and tap the solenoid with the handle of my knife.
  3. Thanks, Trahere, no-one would believe me and I was wondering if I'd at last gone loco!
  4. The 3N & 3N2 on the Whistling Chicken-leg would also catch you out, usually when picking up a VIP, or about to deploy on Active Edge. This was rectified by giving the donk a sharp nudge, causing the whole airframe to shudder as if it'd been clipped by a panzer.
  5. Never flew a gazelle - nice looking aeroplane though...
  6. The Scout was nice to operate, in a Massey Ferguson sort of way. I spent a lot of time on Gazelles, before being forced, at the end of a pointy stick, onto Lynx having run out of forward CofG.
  7. Too many mess dinners, eh? :D

By the way, did you do any local dawn patrols? I dropped into one (it may have been Lydd) in a Skeeter but they said I was cheating! :wink:
  8. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

These sort of problems aren't unknown still. I was FTO on a Seaking Mk4 in about 2004 when the Pilots couldn't get the engines to start. A biro rammed into roof panel to engage the slightly dodgey relay and we are up and running.

Funniest look on a passengers face ever....similar to the one when the pilots decided to do practice engine failures on the way back to base without realising that the 2 passengers weren't on the same headset circuit.

9. Oh Scout for sure.
    Left hand side of Nimbus middle of, in both length and height, er weak memory says Fuel system bypass, tho it could well be 'engine start relay'.
    A 'Rivit' had been inserted to close off when No P? air was circulating.
    Rivit could stick in closed position on low air pressure and the 'Unofficial' way was to clear with a Sharpe tap, wheel jacking handle was favourite tool.
    I have done it with Brigade commander on board, excuse Sah, just need to borrow.
    What the Fudge is an erk ? You ex crab ?
    Try asking on the AAC website some real old spanner benders on there, make me look like a young pup.
  10. Don't want to divert the thread (much), but I had a happy afternoon quite a few years ago flying over Otterburn standing on the skids of a Scout - nothing to hold onto except the back of the pilot's seat. Is that sort of thing still allowed, or has the Health and Safety at War Act killed it off?
  11. Glad you enjoyed it, but these days I doubt if anyone would contemplate a repeat peformance - apart from hot extractions, obviously.

Can't have people equating 'fun' with 'flying', can we?
  12. It was a lot of fun, that's for sure. Someone told me that centrifugal force meant there was no real chance of falling to an early grave. Was this true, or was it a touch on the dodgy side by modern standards?
  13. Not quite sure how you might have got that impression. Gravity makes a pretty good job of spoiling your day. That, and the sudden deceleration at the end.
  14. I was young and gullible back then - worked on the assumption that if the Army said it was safe it probably was. Mind you, they said the same thing about the Confidence Course and that never seemed a good idea either. Are you trying to tell me I could have got hurt??
  15. We always used the little crow bar alongside the seat to belt the ignitor