Scout problems

In the mid '60s I was being checked out on either a Scout or an Allouette (my memory's not that good any more!) and there was a persistent problem with the engine start relay. An erk with a small hammer was required to tap the aforementioned object to make it work and spin up the turbine. I was told the electrical cables were too small causing the voltage to drop below the operating requirements of the relay.
Does anyone else remember this or is it just a delusion brought on by old age and an excess of blood in the alcohol stream?

It was the Scout and many a chuckle I had at the passenger's expense when asked by the pilot to jump out of the cab and tap the solenoid with the handle of my knife.

Thanks, Trahere, no-one would believe me and I was wondering if I'd at last gone loco!

C

cloudbuster

The 3N & 3N2 on the Whistling Chicken-leg would also catch you out, usually when picking up a VIP, or about to deploy on Active Edge. This was rectified by giving the donk a sharp nudge, causing the whole airframe to shudder as if it'd been clipped by a panzer.

Never flew a gazelle - nice looking aeroplane though...

C

cloudbuster

The Scout was nice to operate, in a Massey Ferguson sort of way. I spent a lot of time on Gazelles, before being forced, at the end of a pointy stick, onto Lynx having run out of forward CofG.

Too many mess dinners, eh? :D

By the way, did you do any local dawn patrols? I dropped into one (it may have been Lydd) in a Skeeter but they said I was cheating! :wink:

These sort of problems aren't unknown still. I was FTO on a Seaking Mk4 in about 2004 when the Pilots couldn't get the engines to start. A biro rammed into roof panel to engage the slightly dodgey relay and we are up and running.

Funniest look on a passengers face ever....similar to the one when the pilots decided to do practice engine failures on the way back to base without realising that the 2 passengers weren't on the same headset circuit.

S_R

Oh Scout for sure.
Left hand side of Nimbus middle of, in both length and height, er weak memory says Fuel system bypass, tho it could well be 'engine start relay'.
A 'Rivit' had been inserted to close off when No P? air was circulating.
Rivit could stick in closed position on low air pressure and the 'Unofficial' way was to clear with a Sharpe tap, wheel jacking handle was favourite tool.
I have done it with Brigade commander on board, excuse Sah, just need to borrow.
john
What the Fudge is an erk ? You ex crab ?
Try asking on the AAC website some real old spanner benders on there, make me look like a young pup.

Don't want to divert the thread (much), but I had a happy afternoon quite a few years ago flying over Otterburn standing on the skids of a Scout - nothing to hold onto except the back of the pilot's seat. Is that sort of thing still allowed, or has the Health and Safety at War Act killed it off?

C

cloudbuster

Hobo-Ken said:
Don't want to divert the thread (much), but I had a happy afternoon quite a few years ago flying over Otterburn standing on the skids of a Scout - nothing to hold onto except the back of the pilot's seat. Is that sort of thing still allowed, or has the Health and Safety at War Act killed it off?
Glad you enjoyed it, but these days I doubt if anyone would contemplate a repeat peformance - apart from hot extractions, obviously.

Can't have people equating 'fun' with 'flying', can we?

cloudbuster said:
Hobo-Ken said:
Glad you enjoyed it, but these days I doubt if anyone would contemplate a repeat peformance - apart from hot extractions, obviously.

Can't have people equating 'fun' with 'flying', can we?
It was a lot of fun, that's for sure. Someone told me that centrifugal force meant there was no real chance of falling to an early grave. Was this true, or was it a touch on the dodgy side by modern standards?

C

cloudbuster

Hobo-Ken said:
Someone told me that centrifugal force meant there was no real chance of falling to an early grave.
Not quite sure how you might have got that impression. Gravity makes a pretty good job of spoiling your day. That, and the sudden deceleration at the end.

I was young and gullible back then - worked on the assumption that if the Army said it was safe it probably was. Mind you, they said the same thing about the Confidence Course and that never seemed a good idea either. Are you trying to tell me I could have got hurt??

We always used the little crow bar alongside the seat to belt the ignitor

Had a ball flying scouts in the late 70's early 80's 9 Regt first and then 1 Regt when we had gone on to Lynx but had to go back to Scouts for a 6 monther in the Far South.

Don't remember having to tw@t engine bits to get them going but do remember breaking them quite a lot, got some great pictures of scouts over slinging sea kings out of Goose Green and Kelly's Garden after various mishaps.

Liked the scout more than the Lynx though, (Broke a few of them too)

Recall a clever boy doing a muffled start up on a scout rapidly followed by a clanging noise as the discus got fired off the trouser legs!

Went out to fly a scout in Detmold one day, signed the 700 and on arriving at the aircraft found the belly panel with the landing light sitting on the co-pilot seat, and another one with a spanner on the Hyd acc, and so on, aahh happy days.

Didn't fly the Whistling Chicken Leg much except at Wallop, reckon I was too hamfisted so they put me straight on Scout!

Anyone else remember any tech incidents??

pongo6863 said:
Too many mess dinners, eh? :D

By the way, did you do any local dawn patrols? I dropped into one (it may have been Lydd) in a Skeeter but they said I was cheating! :wink:
A Skeeter, have you BF'd your zimmer frame :wink:

I recall from my ACM course that the Scout's fuel cutoff control was dangerously close to the left hand seat, and that positive control over the occupant thereof was vital.

IIRC the Fuel cut off was right next to the cabin heat control, forward and slightly left of the sky gods left knee, the gotcha was, that you could turn off the mighty nimbus accidentally, thinking you were turning the heater on!

SLF not allowed near the Heater controls!!

snaproll said:
IIRC the Fuel cut off was right next to the cabin heat control, forward and slightly left of the sky gods left knee, the gotcha was, that you could turn off the mighty nimbus accidentally, thinking you were turning the heater on!

I thank you.

still21inmymind said:
snaproll said:

I thank you.
When did you do the Acmn course?