Scousers - can they sink any lower?

Tango 15

Clanker
Only by boat, surely? Or do they still fly from the beach at Southport?

(I recall flying around a hovercraft in a 10 AEF Chipmunk over what ISTR was the Ribble estuary)
One used to take money from unsuspecting holidaymakers on Southport beach in the 1960s in order for them to make 'pleasure flights' flying off the beach in Southport, but the bloke who did the flights was based in Liverpool - sorry!

One used to take money from unsuspecting holidaymakers on Southport beach in the 1960s in order for them to make 'pleasure flights' flying off the beach in Southport, but the bloke who did the flights was based in Liverpool - sorry!

Speke? I have a very vague recollection of seeing it when I moved to Southport,. Some way south of the pier? A Moth of some kind?

OTOH, my memory is such that I may simply be recalling a photo I saw.

Saved me a job, and you know what the ill informed say about us aweloathsome scousers and jobs ^~

Yes(*). Even Goebbels, Minitrue, and Argentinian newspapers would baulk at the idea of claiming that a Scouser had a job. :thumright:

(*) Having gone through the tedium of correcting you yet again.

Tango 15

Clanker
Speke? I have a very vague recollection of seeing it when I moved to Southport,. Some way south of the pier? A Moth of some kind?

OTOH, my memory is such that I may simply be recalling a photo I saw.
Indeed - 'twas a Foxmoth, and it was south of the pier (with two wings) the aircraft, not the pier, and piloted by one Harry Patterson, painted bright yellow and red. The aircraft, not Harry :)

I was brought up on Scottie Road and then Kirkby. I can tell the difference in accents between different areas. If you think a Liverpool accent is bad, try Kirkby.

True dit: I was on site at a certain MOD site down south when I heard a very familiar accent.
"Where are you from?" I asked.
Liverpool.
Where about in "Liverpool"
Kirkby.
Thought so.

Turned out that he had lived literally around the corner from me although about 5 years older and I didn't know him.

I can just about cope with a liverpool accent, but when I hear a Kirkby accent I want to throw up.

Don't tell @CAARPS, but one of my friends was from Kirkby. Unfortunately, he had a somewhat deleterious effect upon the rest of us in our small detachment. Before he arrived, none of us in the office swore. However, within a fortnight, every other F*** we uttered was a word.

He really was the exemplar of the Cheekie Chappy personality and make f-ing and blind-ing sound relaxed and normal. It was somewhat cognitively challenging to get used to the idea of a strongly-accented Liverpudlian being an engineering officer, let alone having a job(*).

OTOH, as a pair, we were unbeaten at snooker in the Mess. He was a reasonably good and consistent player, whereas I used to specialize in the "impossible" shots. It was always amusing to watch people's faces when I swapped hands to play a snooker or pot a difficult ball. Of course, unless it was at the other end of the table, I couldn't hit a barn door if it was a straight shot ...

(*) My second boss in the post was a Geordie with a refined accent, and my next boss was a very astute Brummie. I didn't want to risk the next challenge to my list of stereotypes joining the office, so I got a posting. The inhuman mind can only take so much.

Last edited:
I can count to at least 9, because that’s how many promotions I have had (without demotion). Let’s hear about your amazing military career then ^~
Nine promotions? Just realised that you are a woman with strong knees

Nine promotions? Just realised that you are a woman with strong knees

I am just f*cking awesome and being born in the independent Republic of Liverpool makes me even more so. Woolybacks wilt in my presence ^~

Don't tell @CAARPS, but one of my friends was from Kirkby. Unfortunately, he had a somewhat deleterious effect upon the rest of us in our small detachment. Before he arrived, none of us in the office swore. However, within a fortnight, every other F*** we uttered was a word.

He was really was the exemplar of the Cheekie Chappy personality and make f-ing and blind-ing sound relaxed and normal. It was somewhat cognitively challenging to get used to the idea of a strongly-accented Liverpudlian being an engineering officer, let alone having a job(*).

OTOH, as a pair, we were unbeaten at snooker in the Mess. He was a reasonably good and consistent player, whereas I used to specialize in the "impossible" shots. It was always amusing to watch people's faces when I swapped hands to play a snooker or pot a difficult ball. Of course, unless it was at the other end of the table, I couldn't hit a barn door if it was a straight shot ...

(*) My second boss in the post was a Geordie with a refined accent, and my next boss was a very astute Brummie. I didn't want to risk the next challenge to my list of stereotypes joining the office, so I got a posting. The inhuman mind can only take so much.

You have a friend? ^~

You have a friend? ^~

Yeah, and I didn't have to steal them, either. :-D

Luckily, the detachment was a pretty friendly place even with a couple of turnovers of personnel. I have a personal beef with Gorbachev for letting the Wall come down when it did, as one of my mates from the det was later in the process of poaching me for a slot in Berlin when it happened. No Wall, no unit, no posting ... (Cheers, you not-so Commie bastard, Mikhail).

Of course, the first thing the thieving Scouse fire service did was nick it reallocate it to a more needy area and give Southport some wreck they were probably about to junk.
Appropros of nuffink...

Our village 1930's fire engine,paid for, and maintained by Grt Grandad (Alderman of Lancs blah, blah)ended up in the Botanic Garden Museum then of our Parish
IN LANCASHIRE.

Post '74 it became Miseryside but no great problems until Sefton Council started looking for casualties.....

Anyhow, as a reward to my Owd Fella's half century of Public service, and with the cooperation of the new owners of the local Hall,also keen to repatriate the piece of local history to where it was originally based and operated from, enquiries were made......

"Feck off, it's ours" was the gist of the response....

It now holds pride of place in
Merseyside Fire and Rescue HQ.

Institutional appropriation I think one letter read!

Last edited:

Latest Threads