Scousers - can they sink any lower?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Two completely different races. Manchester consists of an amalgam of various small towns that were melded into an amorphous blob by their expansion following (as you state) the impact of the cotton trade. The Lancastrian accent was altered by infiltration by outsiders.

Scouseland is a true mongral of a race. Irish who didn’t go all the way to the US (or who ran out of money to go any further to work on the canals). Lancastrian’s were probably the origins of the accent. Add to that the Welsh (an eisteddfod was held in Liverpool n 1929 - perhaps all that singing altered it or some thought their valleys weren’t all that green and decided to stay) plus whatever detritus jumped ship back when it was a port of importance to the Empire and the world.

There is noted difference in South and North Liverpool accents too - god only knows how that glottal stop became a feature. I still pack a ball gag if I am in the city and looking to pull - despite coming from the place I am not a fan of the accent.

In the words of Christopher Brookmyre “an Oasis cover band? I thought Oasis were a cover band.”
I was brought up on Scottie Road and then Kirkby. I can tell the difference in accents between different areas. If you think a Liverpool accent is bad, try Kirkby.

True dit: I was on site at a certain MOD site down south when I heard a very familiar accent.
"Where are you from?" I asked.
Liverpool.
Where about in "Liverpool"
Kirkby.
Thought so.

Turned out that he had lived literally around the corner from me although about 5 years older and I didn't know him.

I can just about cope with a liverpool accent, but when I hear a Kirkby accent I want to throw up.

I was brought up on Scottie Road and then Kirkby. I can tell the difference in accents between different areas. If you think a Liverpool accent is bad, try Kirkby.

True dit: I was on site at a certain MOD site down south when I heard a very familiar accent.
Liverpool.
Kirkby.
Thought so.

Turned out that he had lived literally around the corner from me although about 5 years older and I didn't know him.

I can just about cope with a liverpool accent, but when I hear a Kirkby accent I want to throw up.
Similar here. I used to be able to tell the difference between a Bootle-Marsh Lane, and a Bootle-Miller's Bridge accent. Not any more though, been away too long.

Agree with your last sentence though

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Plod are normally parachuted in, because who in their right mind wud be a f*cking grassing bizzy.

Yep, as suspected Heswel, practically a f* cking manc, the dirty thieving non Scouse, over the water c*nt ^~
What’s all this slagging off a Manc on a Scouse thread then:???:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Liverpool.
Kirkby.
Thought so.

Without wanting to derail the thread, it amazes me, our English accents, here in Oz, was camping in a National Park (Barrington Tops) so not really a tourist area, get talking to a bloke, and I guessed he was north west, Lancashire out near Blackpool (my town) and he was from Southport not 10 miles away.

That's a harsh sentence. What did you steal to get life in Colchester?

Good grief! A thought occurs to me. How did you count that high? Are you one of those polydactyls I've read about?

I can count to at least 9, because that’s how many promotions I have had (without demotion). Let’s hear about your amazing military career then ^~

Without wanting to derail the thread, it amazes me, our English accents, here in Oz, was camping in a National Park (Barrington Tops) so not really a tourist area, get talking to a bloke, and I guessed he was north west, Lancashire out near Blackpool (my town) and he was from Southport not 10 miles away.
Was it his accent, or the that he moaned about the fact that it's long been overrun by scousers on the rob that gave it away.

Only by boat, surely? Or do they still fly from the beach at Southport?

(I recall flying around a hovercraft in a 10 AEF Chipmunk over what ISTR was the Ribble estuary)

Oh, I was fairly certain of that before. But I guess I guess rule out suckophancy, now ...

To quote someone on here:

If you'd written that in some form of comprehensible English(*), I might have understood it.

(*) And I might have got the gist of it in German, French, Latin, or Russian - possibly even Double-Dutch. But for mine own part, it was Greek to me.

To quote someone on here:

If you'd written that in some form of comprehensible English(*), I might have understood it.

(*) And I might have got the gist of it in German, French, Latin, or Russian - possibly even Double-Dutch. But for mine own part, it was Greek to me.

Why, thank you. It's nice to know one's work is appreciated.

hqdefault.jpg

... even if it is only by a Scouser.

suckophancy - a form of sycophancy involving the giving oral pleasure.

Why, thank you. It's nice to know one's work is appreciated.

hqdefault.jpg

... even if it is only by a Scouser.

suckophancy - a form of sycophancy involving the giving oral pleasure.

Saved me a job, and you know what the ill informed say about us awesome scousers and jobs ^~

Latest Threads