Scottish whisky is rubbish - official proof.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Japanese Whisky has been winning top awards for their whiskies for well over a decade now. If the DM thinks this is a wake up call, they must have fallen asleep back in the 80s.

And yes, Yamazaki is lush.

If you had nearly died of alcohol poisoning at the ripe old age of 15 (as I did), imbibing too much of it, then ANY Whisky is gash. I still can't past the smell of the stuff, 45 years later.
I've been told many times since that I am missing out on the pleasure of a classy single malt, but I've learnt to live with it and console myself with a decent wine instead. "One mans poison ...."

That's if you believe a word Jim Murray has to say, he is in the business of making money, selling books, apps, and speaking engagements. Maybe the Scots distillers have not increased their freebies in line with international sweetener inflation?
As an aside, I went on a whiskey diet once, lost 3 days in a week. (Tommy Cooper's joke).

Blogg

LE
Not all rubbish. Some of the single malt offerings are not very special though, premium pricing for pretty cardboard outer seems to be the game.

Rerun of what happened with the French and New World wines.

A load of pish.

Sherry cnuting casked. What's that all about then when it comes to whisky?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Japanese Whisky has been winning top awards for their whiskies for well over a decade now. If the DM thinks this is a wake up call, they must have fallen asleep back in the 80s.

Have you woken up in the 90s ?

If you had nearly died of alcohol poisoning at the ripe old age of 15 (as I did), imbibing too much of it, then ANY Whisky is gash. I still can't past the smell of the stuff, 45 years later.
I've been told many times since that I am missing out on the pleasure of a classy single malt, but I've learnt to live with it and console myself with a decent wine instead. "One mans poison ...."
Mine was and still is the smell of Southern Comfort and for the same reasons.

2/51

LE
Wait for the rise of Chinese whisky.

They are already producing some pretty special Malts, it's not going to be long before they take top prize.

Mine was and still is the smell of Southern Comfort and for the same reasons.
When I first lived in London almost every party I went to was a "Southern Comfort" one; you had to bring a bottle of the stuff. Put me off it for evermore. If only they'd been "Drambuie" thrashes...

Agree that lots of blended Scotch now is very unremarkable, the result of chasing the market come what may. The good Islays remain at the top in my opinion, though. I've never bothered to taste the Japanese products, and have no liking for the Canadian, American etc brands. Having been suckered a few times by fakes I also know what really, very bad whisky tastes like. The ultimate worst came in a plastic satchet, labelled "Wiskie", next to the little plastic bags called "Konyagi", made in a Dar-es-Salaam backstreet.

Edit: "...changes which have altered the face of whisky". What the hell's he on about? I don't want a 'new' whisky, just a consistently good one.

A load of pish.

Sherry cnuting casked. What's that all about then when it comes to whisky?

It adds flavour, you Godless little heathen. It also adds colour. Whisky would be white without it.

philc

LE
I like a good Islay, however its getting bloody expensive overall. However imitations just don't seem right, are the Japs going to do to whiskey what they did to the car industry, hope not.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Ardbeg's my current favourite... although every bugger around me says it smells like TCP.

Like many, I had that experience at 17 of talking to God on the Great White Telephone, courtesy of too much Famous Grouse. I was off it for over 20 years. Good single malts are a far cry from blends, though, and there're those who'll add ice, a little water, or insist on neat. It's to the taste, and each to his own.

Ardbeg's my current favourite... although every bugger around me says it smells like TCP.

Like many, I had that experience at 17 of talking to God on the Great White Telephone, courtesy of too much Famous Grouse. I was off it for over 20 years. Good single malts are a far cry from blends, though, and there're those who'll add ice, a little water, or insist on neat. It's to the taste, and each to his own.
...and so are pure grains, but I haven't seen one for years.

Had a glass of 'Prince of Wales' genuine Scotch whisky given me in Germany in '83.
Distilled and bottled in Japan. It was ok.
Never seen it since.
How the hell do you inovate on something that has been made in the same way for over 150 years?

philc

LE
What, it into an efficient, well made product?
No kill of the old industry with a cheaper version then increase the price once the old industry no longer exists.

Latest Threads