Scottish Troops to pioneer Army’s new Ranger Regiment

Who believes this dribble?

Ah yes, and where will 1 SCOTS be based? That very Scottish city known as Belfast.
Don’t worry, within a year and a half it won’t be very 1 SCOT-ish at all. With all the predicted droves of extra special soldiers from ALL cap badges queueing up to do the RANGER cadre, it soon resemble……frankly, who knows what? Fred Karno, where are you when most needed?
And as for Belfast? Yup, I can see hordes of newly qualified steely-eyed dealers of death putting that down on their PPPs as first choice when the rest of the so called regiment is in the Shot and sniffing distance of the fleshpots of southern England.

I bet one or two readers got a semi at the mention of Pioneers! :)

Just looking at the “New” Cap badge, anyone else think it’s been nicked from Action Man, or a film starring Sylvester Stallone ?
In my eyes, it looks cheap tat! And where’s the Royal Crown? How is something that looks like it’s come out of a Xmas cracker, supposed to install Esprit de Corps!

In my eyes, it looks cheap tat! And where’s the Royal Crown?
I believe the royal suffix (and crown) is in the gift of the sovereign, usually in recognition of the distinguished past service of the corps or regiment. It is hardly likely to be awarded to some johnny-come-lately mob before it is out of nappies.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just looking at the “New” Cap badge, anyone else think it’s been nicked from Action Man, or a film starring Sylvester Stallone ?
In my eyes, it looks cheap tat! And where’s the Royal Crown? How is something that looks like it’s come out of a Xmas cracker, supposed to install Esprit de Corps!

I believe the royal suffix (and crown) is in the gift of the sovereign, usually in recognition of the distinguished past service of the corps or regiment. It is hardly likely to be awarded to some johnny-come-lately mob before it is out of nappies.
The Crown and ‘Royal’ do not necessarily go hand in hand. Some Royal regiments do not have a crown and other non-Royal ones do! Two that spring to mind are the PWRR (Royal/no crown) and the Int Corps (Crown/non-Royal).

I've seen the new badge for the first time today. The Nazi refernces don't seem that obvious to me (The Nazis would have come up with something altogether more stylish). But it does have the look of some fantasy first person shooter video game about it. Who normally designs these things?

The Crown and ‘Royal’ do not necessarily go hand in hand. Some Royal regiments do not have a crown and other non-Royal ones do! Two that spring to mind are the PWRR (Royal/no crown) and the Int Corps (Crown/non-Royal).
Yes, I know (the AAC, for example). Perhaps I should have put 'Royal suffix or crown'.

ETA: And there is also the example of Queens Park Rangers

Last edited:
I know we still have them, but I now think it’s be better expanding the Army Commando Force, than using the American Ranger title.
4542108A-3384-4908-941B-E63A971310E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads