Scottish Train Derail

I am a bit of a railway fan. Mostly for the architecture and infrastructure, less so with rolling stock etc.

I am not sure they are correct in those videos. They are confusing "parliamentary trains" with "ghost trains". The former actually exist and carry passengers so they are hardly ghost trains. The reason for them is self evident, if seemingly burdensome.

I always understood ghost trains were just that. Non-existent phantom trains that were scheduled into railway timetables to maximise the efficiency of the timetable.

Extra trains such as football specials, royal trains, nuclear waste trains etc can then be slotted into the "ghost" spots without rescheduling the timetables.

I spent much of my early childhood leaning on railway bridges waiting for steam trains to pass underneath. The signals would change frequently despite no trains running through them. When I asked why I was given the "ghost train" explanation.
That may be so but in my experience (work involvement in a successful legal case and campaign to save a rail service in the 1990’s) the term “ghost train” was indeed used colloquially and in the media with the same meaning as “parliamentary train”..

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Under normal circumstances and injury free, walking a mile isn't difficult.

Do we know the physical and mental condition of the casualty who crawled from the wreckage?

I'm guessing that he may have been suffering from more than just slight discomfort and mild nausea, but there are a multitude of Biff's in the armed forces who are at deaths door when they have to run a BFT.
She walked to signal box.
Praise for ‘heroic’ Huntly woman who hobbled miles to raise alarm after Stonehaven train crash - Evening Express

rest of story behind paywall

Last edited:

Very commendable effort by that lady, it must have been a distressing experience, I hope she recovers soon.

It was also very lucky that she was there, because as a railway worker she knew what to do and where to go. I thought that most of the signal boxes in the UK were closed years ago, so having one only 3 miles away was also lucky.

Looks like a class 25 to me.

There are a few 47s knocking about, but not on mainline use. Some were converted to class 57s.
Most have been cut up.

There are plenty of mainline 47s. LSL have a number, ROG also have a number and West Coast Rail have a larger number, all of which are active on mainlines. Think there’s 35 of them at the moment, so more than the Class 70s.

There are plenty of mainline 47s. LSL have a number, ROG also have a number and West Coast Rail have a larger number, all of which are active on mainlines. Think there’s 35 of them at the moment, so more than the Class 70s.

I meant every day main line service use.
There are 47s about, but not every 30 mins like they used to be. It’s more of an event to see one now.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m not surprised. As I said earlier, those short formed HST sets are like a greyhound.

And given that the train was returning along the route it had just travelled along, perhaps the driver assumed track was still clear

I’m not surprised. As I said earlier, those short formed HST sets are like a greyhound.
Do they really need two HST power cars?

"Driver Van Trailers" that are used at the back-end of the East Coast Mail Line's newer "InterCity 225" electric trains, might be more appropriate . . . which would release the second HST power cars, to provide the power for yet more short formed HST sets?!

What have they done with the cars removed from the short formed HST sets?! Were/are they, the first-class, and "buffet" cars?!

Driving Van Trailer - Wikipedia

From that link, there still seems to be 12 x Mk3 DVT listed as "stored" . . .

1598048260474.png

From that link, there still also seems to be 22 x Mk4 DVT listed as "stored" ( . . . of the original 32 built)

1598048492126.png

EDIT: " From October 2018, Abellio ScotRail introduced former Great Western Railway HSTs on services between Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness, branded as "Inter7City" in reference to Scotland's seven main cities.[23][4][24] The Mark 3 coaches all have refurbished interiors and are fitted with powered doors. There will be 26 sets: 17 five-car and 9 four-car trains.[23] As with the Class 385s there have been delays getting the refurbished trains into service. As a result, some HST sets were pressed in to service without refurbishment to allow for others to have refurbishment completed. As of May 2020, ScotRail operates an entirely refurbished HST fleet".

Last edited:
Very commendable effort by that lady, it must have been a distressing experience, I hope she recovers soon.

It was also very lucky that she was there, because as a railway worker she knew what to do and where to go. I thought that most of the signal boxes in the UK were closed years ago, so having one only 3 miles away was also lucky.

It is a long time since I worked track side, but there are telephones on every signal post, and the direction to the nearest one is indicated on trackside hardware. The telephones are of the pick up and speak type, and connect to the nearest manned signal box automatically.

It is a long time since I worked track side, but there are telephones on every signal post, and the direction to the nearest one is indicated on trackside hardware. The telephones are of the pick up and speak type, and connect to the nearest manned signal box automatically.
I thought . . . that if you put something metal across the two rails, it caused a "shortage" (somewhere), and tripped all the lights to red ?!

Yes, I know not everyone carries an alloy step-ladder on their train journeys, but plenty of fencing-wire lining the tracks.

I thought . . . that if you put something metal across the two rails, it caused a "shortage" (somewhere), and tripped all the lights to red ?!

Yes, I know not everyone carries an alloy step-ladder on their train journeys, but plenty of fencing-wire lining the tracks.

Tool for the job:

Track Circuit Operating Clip | Sorbus International

"Driver Van Trailers" that are used at the back-end of the East Coast Mail Line's newer "InterCity 225" electric trains, might be more appropriate . . . which would release the second HST power cars, to provide the power for yet more short formed HST sets?!

Even if they fit together, which they probably won't, it'll be completely different controls for diesel and electric.

ExINASty

Old-Salt

What have they done with the cars removed from the short formed HST sets?! Were/are they, the first-class, and "buffet" cars?!

View attachment 498922

From that link, there still also seems to be 22 x Mk4 DVT listed as "stored" ( . . . of the original 32 built)

View attachment 498926

EDIT: " From October 2018, Abellio ScotRail introduced former Great Western Railway HSTs on services between Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness, branded as "Inter7City" in reference to Scotland's seven main cities.[23][4][24] The Mark 3 coaches all have refurbished interiors and are fitted with powered doors. There will be 26 sets: 17 five-car and 9 four-car trains.[23] As with the Class 385s there have been delays getting the refurbished trains into service. As a result, some HST sets were pressed in to service without refurbishment to allow for others to have refurbishment completed. As of May 2020, ScotRail operates an entirely refurbished HST fleet".
Some of the stored DVTs may be converted into locomotives. Short vid of the Artemis Intelligent Power prototype here.

View attachment 498922

View attachment 498926

I’m not sure DVTs are compatible with Class 43s.
They did use 43s as DVTs for a while in the 90s with the engine shut down. That’s why some have buffers fitted.
The DVTs work with TDM Time Division Multiplex jumper cables. I don’t think the 43 do.

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
It appears to have been a 125 and yes, usually there is a loco / power car at each end.
View attachment 496495

Hours-long gap between rail derailment and emergency call - reports
Emergency calls were made hours after the derailed train is believed to have gone off the tracks.

However there are varying reports on whether the train derailed shortly after the 20-minute journey between Aberdeen and Stonehaven around 7am, or closer to 9.43pm when emergency services were called.

Train derails with 'two dead' and serious injuries - all you need to know
class 43 hst

Can I ask a question that might seem totally stupid to those of you in the know but which has cropped up recently in a minor way at work?

Do we no longer refer to the big noisy thing at the front of a train with the engine in it as a "locomotive" as I had always thought they were called? Is "power car" the correct terminology now? I ask as I occasionally have to edit reports of a technical nature and I prefer to get these things right.