Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Train Derail

I was on duty at Stafford on the day of the Hixon rail crash and got called out with the rest of the duty team to assist. What a mess. Spent two days on scene; the biggest problem was the sightseers and the press coming across the adjoining fields to gawp at the scene. ATV was jumping up and down because they wanted to put a tv camera tower right beside the casualty clearing point. It didn't help that the countryside was locked down due to a big foot and mouth outbreak.

Every time there's a nasty rail smash, I have the fullest sympathy for those that have to sort through the wreckage.

Daily Mail has photos of Coastguard landrovers and a digger driving along the track, having accessed it from a level crossing, if that helps? I presume they are using the Coastguard's clifftop winching expertise for access down the hillside.
That would be the level crossing further south (circled in blue at foot of map). It looks like the rescue services were gathered on Elf Hillock which had metal trackway in place already as part of access for ongoing track improvements.
1597251471989.png

Looking at the pictures of the carriages, if this had taken place under normal (ie non-lockdown) commuting level of passengers, the casualty situation would have been a lot grimmer.

If the reports of 1 driver, 3 crew and 6 pax are to be believed, that's a huge amount of moving parts just to get 6 bods to work.
Likely another factor challenging the economics of rail in such areas.
You have to keep them running else the engines and other moving arts get unhappy then costs ££££'s down the line (think 1970's Chieften tanks and the fuel crisis).
BAE at Warton just down the road here are flying their shuttle aircraft (regional passenger jets) twice a week to keep them tikkety-boo. All they are doing is going around Morcambe Bay and Bowland for an hour or so each time. Far cheaper than light pres and maint later on.

Last edited:
Terrible accident.

I wonder if there is a difference in crash behaviour between trains like the Class 43/HST125 with locos at either end, and those with only leading or trailing locos? Just thinking to myself, if the leading loco hits something or otherwise derails, you've got the trailing loco powering the intermediate coaches forward, until the motor quits, and also the inertia of a locomotive, vs just a coach.

A Class 91 set for example with motor at one end only would not have the back end powering forward when London bound. When northbound and being driven from the DVT, it would. Other (older) passenger loco types and coach rakes not formed into multiple unit sets with cabs at both ends would always have the loco leading, so less force from behind, whether power or inertia.

To be clear, I'm not saying there is (or isn't), nor speculating, just the thought occurred to me that they may be different, and in the case of the 91 sets, may be different whether north or southbound. From memory, the power cars were generally at the King's Cross end.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
A typical quote from Mick Cash the leader of the RMT Union about the fact they are there to help all drivers and staff affected. Not a peep about any passengers and he hopes they are okay. I bet they turn it into a not enough guards on the train thats why we strike ballacks. Union scum.

That's what a union's for. To look after its members.

A typical quote from Mick Cash the leader of the RMT Union about the fact they are there to help all drivers and staff affected. Not a peep about any passengers and he hopes they are okay. I bet they turn it into a not enough guards on the train thats why we strike ballacks. Union scum.
Aye, right. Cash's actual statement was widely reported, my bold:

"RMT is aware of the major incident at Stonehaven and our reps are liaising directly at senior level with both Scotrail and Network Rail.
"Our priority at this time is to support our members, their colleagues and their families and to do all that we can to assist the rescue operation which RMT members are currently involved in.
"The facts behind this incident will need to be established in due course but at this stage we are focused on support and assistance and our thoughts are with all those impacted by this tragedy."

Perhaps I've got that misremembered, it's been a while, but I do remember them all being the same way at King's Cross. Same question arises though, just going the other way.

That might be a question best answered on one of the rail fan forums.

"The facts behind this incident will need to be established in due course but at this stage we are focused on support and assistance and our thoughts are with all those impacted by this tragedy."
Interesting choice of word there, 'affected' might have been better.

No. It's an opinion.
One of the news reports earlier stated that the train was reversing slowly.
They would never reverse. The driver would have changed ends and then proceeded in the 'wrong' direction under caution until he reached the crossover mentioned by @psychobabble . Once he'd crossed over onto the other other line he'd be travelling in the 'right' direction and would then be able to accelerate to full line speed.

cymraeg

War Hero
******* grim time. Thoughts and prayers to all.

It's all right, the Arrse Accident Investigation Branch can stand down. According to David Shukman on the BBC's web-site, the cause of the accident is.......climate change!! CA rules prevent me from saying something naughty.

They would never reverse. The driver would have changed ends and then proceeded in the 'wrong' direction under caution until he reached the crossover mentioned by @psychobabble . Once he'd crossed over onto the other other line he'd be travelling in the 'right' direction and would then be able to accelerate to full line speed.
Which is what I said.... the crash site is about a mile from the crossover so the train wouldn’t have been at full line speed there.

Is network rail national or devolved?

There are a lot of accusations and finger pointing. I’m guessing this will lead to an enquiry and wondering at what level it will be.

Latest Threads