Scottish Tories admit defeat and surrender?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BrandySoured, Sep 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Scottish Tory leadership favourite 'to disband party'

Given the proposal to disband the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party what will the new mob be called? Both Scottish Democratic Party or Scottish Democratic Unionists will obviously be out as the thin skinned of Scottish society would see things that are not there and, as it seems to me, that this indicates that they are preparing to fight their corner in a more independent (small I) Scotland there will be no mention of Union in the new name at all. It will also take at least a generation before, whatever rises, for them not to be known as Tories.

To your average Scottish voter the Tories are not to be trusted because of Thatcherism so how does the new lot come up with a name that will distance themselves from the Rifkind and Forsyth era? I have a few but as it's the serious bit, I'll hold my wheesht.

And for those who have links blocked:

Scottish Tory leadership favourite 'to disband party'

_54843387_murdo_fraser.jpg
    Mr Fraser said his plan could boost Tory support at Westminster

The frontrunner for leader of the Scottish Conservatives has said he will disband the party if he wins the leadership election next month.

The MSP Murdo Fraser says the Conservatives carry too much baggage in Scotland and claims a new centre-right party would attract more voters.
    The party would sit with the Tories in the Commons but have its own policies.
    Mr Fraser said David Cameron was aware and the idea had the support of several senior Conservatives at Westminster.
    He told the BBC: "What we have to do is get many more people elected from Scottish constituencies to support David Cameron and a future UK Conservative government and the best way to do that is to create a new progressive centre-right with a Scottish identity."
    He added: "I think that will be much more attractive to many people in Scotland who share our values."
    Leadership pitch
    The Conservatives have failed to revive their fortunes in Scotland since the 1997 general election, which saw them lose all 11 of their Westminster seats.
    At last year's election, they only managed to retain one MP, David Mundell in Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale.
    Mr Fraser says the party has been in continual decline in Scotland since the 1960s and the best option was to create a new party.
    But he can expect some opposition with the former Secretary of State for Scotland, Lord Forsyth, calling the plan a "ludicrous idea" which amounts to raising the white flag in the face of opposition from the SNP.
    Mr Fraser says his campaign slogan in the Scottish Conservatives leadership race was a "new party for Scotland".
    "This is the central plank of my leadership pitch," he said.
    "And what I'll be saying effectively is there is a lot of interest in centre-right values amongst people in Scotland but they don't vote for the Conservative Party."

2. More like 'Scottish Torys accept you can't bring enlightenment to the heathen'

• Like Like x 1
  3. ...and cue another thread full of anti Scottish sentiment, because England is just full of intelligent, hard working, enlightened people and is the land of milk and honey. :roll:

4. Now, now, no McJealousy!

5. That's very nice of you. Thank you. ;-)

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Scottish Tories to disband - who would notice? Anyway, the electorate did that to them years ago!!!

7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Strange to think that years ago they were the party of power in Scotland.

8. More like Scottish Conservatives prepare to go covert and morph into a new shape to fool the more gullible members of the electorate.

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I'm not denying that for the sake of political plurality Scotland does need a centre-right party.

However, I don't think that the Scottish electorate is going to see a new centre-right party as anything other than the "Tories", for at least the next 25 years. Conservatism in Scotland is shafted, and has been since they were handed their heads by the electorate over the Poll Tax. Unionism, other than something for the Orange Lodge to hang their sash on won't last either.

So Scotland will have a mix of Labour and SNP governments for the forseeable future.

10. Population movement; for generations intelligent, open minded Scots have been moving to work in England. Leaving behind those too stupid to get a job or to xenophobic to leave.

So there are plenty of Scottish Conservative supporters, they are just all in England.

Conversely the majority of people remaining in Scotland get their income from the state; so they are never going to vote for anything other than far left.

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Irony: It's not just for metallurgists.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

But it is sometimes better than "silvery" and "goldy".

13. Rebranding and nothing more. They're not changing policy in any way.

That's why they'll continue to be unelectable to the majority of Scots, not the name of their party.

• Like Like x 1
  14. It would be a shame if that nice Mr Salmond was ousted from power wouldn't it?

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It would indeed. Given that the majority of voters think that he and his party are doing a good job and he's blessedly free of the Scottish Cringe so beloved of Unionists.

• Like Like x 1