Scottish referendum - game on?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Charm_City, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Salmond is still trying to figure out how to get the result he wants.
    Support for independence is only 30% so he needs to stack the odds a bit more in his favour.

2. Cameron should just be done with it and offer a federal Union, with fully devolved powers to all three assemblies/Parliaments excepting Foreign/Defence issues, which would be decided at Westminster.

• Like Like x 3
  3. What do the Scots actually do for us other than consume benefits and **** up the banking system (Fred Goodwin) or the economy (Gordon Brown)? Kick them out of the Union and rebuild Hadrian's Wall, it'll cut off some chippy northerners too.

• Like Like x 4
  4. And I always think the 30% is a bit soft and may be a lot less when actually faced with a straight yes/no question. That seems to be what Cameron is aiming for.

5. Scottish Independence and alcohol levels.......................all on the same day, is there a connection?

6. Nah..

Just an excuse for giving even more power to a bunch of jumped up Toon Cooncelors and career politicians who have clearly demonstrated ( Pairlement Building & trams) that they could not run an empty whelk stall..

The UK population needs to understand that it is the weak, incompetant political class that has let us into the fine mess we are in at the moment. Yes, we need democratic mechanisms to prevent dictatorships forming, however the danger is that the system gets clogged up with "politicking" and needs a good clearout now and again.

Traditionally this happens by having a revolution, but these can be a bit messy! The UK's trick in the 18th & 19th centuary, when everybody else was tearing lumps out of themselves, was to run a politically light system that kept things moving, with a small central administration and lots of devolved power. Since WW2 this has changed, with an ever increasing political class supported by an overblown state sector which is consuming the lion's share of the country's resources..

My starter for 10...

1. Get rid of all the "local parliaments"..

2. Cut the number of MPs in the UK Commons by (at least) 1/3.

3. Remove politicoes from the upper house. Replace with nominees from industry, administration, military, science & the arts with a very tight limitation on the number of lawyers allowed to enter. House to have a fixed number of places replaced on dead men's shoes..

4. Introduce a mimimum age for election to public office of 40, with a maximum term of two elections.

5. Remove all proportional representation scams. First past the post at alll levels..

• Like Like x 4
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Hurrah. It's been at least three days since the last thread about this.

I was getting quite worried.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scotish Defence Force anyone?

9. Well, I sort of hoped that a new thread under the new regime might actually result in some serious discussion - but I'm still waiting for the cheque and have a funny taste in my mouth ...............

10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Good luck with that. I'd like to point you to post #4 above and predict that the majority of all responses will be as pointless and witless.

I'm just being grumpy as it'll be me that has to clean the thread up as it runs to form again.

However to address the point; Cameron and his party were staunchly against any referendum. Now that he thinks that the longer he leaves it, the better Salmond's chances of winning it, he's now a big fan of referenda (apart from the one on Europe that he promised to have)?

Give me a break. Pure naked political opportunism. Nothing more.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Do you get a medal with that and an SLR?

12. if Scotland left the UK would Cameron have a majority gov?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Exactly, because we all know that politicians cannot change their minds. Their very first idea must be the one they stick with. It matters not whether world events change, if the view of the electorate changes or if the opposition shifts the agenda.

Politicians! Bury your head in the sand and stick to your principles. To hell with the consequences, when it all goes to rat-shit, we will respect you for being able to say "I told you so!"

Unless you know some other way of skinning the cat of course.

14. Oh goody, another one of these threads. Not had one in oh..................... a week

Standards must be slipping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.