Scottish Poppy Appeal?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by FARMBOY, Oct 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is not intended as a "State of the Union" question more one of clarification.

I've just been through Glasgow airport and noticed collection boxes for the "Scottish Poppy Appeal" Is this part of the RBL or is this a new organisation?
  2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Instead of a poppy you get a Thistle. There were loads of them on the Somme. :wink:
  3. I was there yesterday too. I'm not sure, but the poppies are different, they don't have the leaf, and a have a pin me on you metle bit.
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's not part of the RBL. It's on behalf of the The Earl Haig Fund (now PoppyScotland). It does much the same work but uses a different poppy which has four leaves instead of two. They're made in Canonmills in Edinburgh and employ ex-servicemen to make them.

Here's the link.
  5. Yes the poppies are quite a different shape. I couldn't find anything on the collection box that mentioned the RBL or gave much detail about the charity. I shall use the tinterweb to investigate.
  6. Sixty

Or you could just click on that link up there ^
  7. Cheers Sixty

Sorry I just missed your post there. I shall be wearing mine with pride.

8. Sixty

No worries mate. I live not far from Lady Haig's poppy production place in Edinburgh and it's a cause close to my heart.

The company I work for place boxes of them in the reception of each of our offices in the city each year and sell a huge amount.
  9. Lets hope that this year you sell even more. I just cannot believe it's less than a month to go to till 11th November. It comes around quicker every year for those of us that are lucky enough to still be here.

I'm selling Poppies for the first time this year and am very much looking forward to it.
  10. Now I is getting all confuddled.

The black bit in the RBL-sold poppy used to be inscribed "Haig Fund" but looking at some from last year, they're inscribed "Poppy Appeal". (Haven't seen any this year, so don't know what is on them).

So what happens?

Does all the cash received from RBL and Poppy Scotland get pooled in the Haig Fund for distribution throughout UK?
    Does Poppy Scotland only fund ex-servicemen north of the border?
    Does RBL not fund Scottish ex-servicemen?
    Does RBL not operate in Scotland?
    Are there fights between poppy distributors of different backgrounds?
    Would it be considered racist to set up a Poppy England organisation?

edited to add:
    Even more confused as I've now discovered RBL Scotland, which doesn't make mention of Poppy Scotland but does have the four-cornered poppy on its website
  11. Sixty

You're right, it is quite complicated. Firstly the RBL technically only covers England, Wales and Ireland. The RBL Scotland is a separate organisation (but still part of the RBL 'family')

They share a building with the Haig Fund who are effectively the fund raising wing. The only poppies sold in Scotland are the four leafed ones and the money raised is used to help ex-servicemen in Scotland (as the RBL ones do in England, Wales & Ireland).

This is my understanding of it at least.

My head hurts.
  12. I would pay into the Scottish Poppy Appeal if they take Gordon Brown back!
  13. If you look on the 'links' page of RBLScotland you will see that it links to Poppy Scotland :D
  14. Sorry, to clarify, it doesn't obviously appear to have an affiliation with Poppy Scotland, suggesting that there are two different organisations vying for donations.

In response to Sixty's reply, I'm shocked, having been brought up to believe that the Poppy Appeal (under whatever guise) was a single nationwide organisation. I find it a horrible concept that benevolent organisations operate on a postcode basis. There may well be Scottish regiments, English regiments, Irish regiments, Welsh regiments and even Gurkha regiments, but they're all part of the British Army and I would have expected that benevolence wouldn't discriminate on the basis of address.

Right, which one is most in need of funds?
  15. Sixty

A little clarification as I wasn't sure I was correct. Just off the phone and was directed to the FAQs.

Much as the RSPCA and NSPCC don't cover Scotland I suppose.