Scottish Politics Thread

mrboo

LE
This keeps popping up. what a lovely woman she is..

Snap 2022-08-06 at 14.29.36.png

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
View attachment 683415

If it happens we may at last see the SNP failings on msm for a change
The media may just start to report fully what is happening north of the border. This may just be the start of the loosening of the grip the Murrells have over SNP and through them ScotGov. Might even be a few genuine inquiries with outcomes.

Old and Grumpy

War Hero
The media may just start to report fully what is happening north of the border. This may just be the start of the loosening of the grip the Murrells have over SNP and through them ScotGov. Might even be a few genuine inquiries with outcomes.
Who are you kidding? The Westminster TOAAAAAAAAARIES are electioneering. As soon as one of them gets into No.10 all this will go very quiet again. It's nothing but a few good sound bites to keep themselves in the press.

As LT said - NS should just be ignored - and that is precisely what they will do for all the issues regarding Scotland going forward as soon as the party membership votes are cast.

Their are no (or very few) votes up here for them when it comes to general elections which could have any effect at all on their prospects of retaining power and thereby keeping their noses in the Westminster trough and they therefore just don't care.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Who are you kidding? The Westminster TOAAAAAAAAARIES are electioneering. As soon as one of them gets into No.10 all this will go very quiet again. It's nothing but a few good sound bites to keep themselves in the press.

As LT said - NS should just be ignored - and that is precisely what they will do for all the issues regarding Scotland going forward as soon as the party membership votes are cast.

Their are no (or very few) votes up here for them when it comes to general elections which could have any effect at all on their prospects of retaining power and thereby keeping their noses in the Westminster trough and they therefore just don't care.
They are not running a GE, just a poll of Tory members, quite a few of whom live north of Berwick upon Tweed! If there are votes to be picked up in Scotland then maybe some time will be laid aside to lay into the SNP. It will take a strong Scottish Secretary though.

Old and Grumpy

War Hero
They are not running a GE, just a poll of Tory members, quite a few of whom live north of Berwick upon Tweed! If there are votes to be picked up in Scotland then maybe some time will be laid aside to lay into the SNP. It will take a strong Scottish Secretary though.
A strong Scottish Secretary? Not many Scottish MPs to choose from and which of them would be capable of even installing confidence in a ladies tea party?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A strong Scottish Secretary? Not many Scottish MPs to choose from and which of them would be capable of even installing confidence in a ladies tea party?
There are several Tories who are Scots but holding English seats. IDS being one.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes - I can see the headlines already "Tories govern Scotland through an MP who has emigrated". Really???

Own Goal me thinks!!!
As I said, a strong ScotSec would bat that right over the boundary at first ball. Think those words will go down well oop north?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hmmmm technicality
Why technically? Born, brought up and schooled in Aberdeen. Tertiary education may have been in England, but doesn't make him any less Scottish.

shellbackmac

War Hero
I was visiting my mates record shop in Glasgow yesterday. Walked onto Argyll Street afterwards and realised, due to the counter-demonstration by a group of Union Flag wavers, AUOB were marching through the town. B*ll*ks I thought, as I was parked up by Buchanan St bus station and would have to wait for the Nats to march past to cross. No dramas at all! Estimates were that just over a hundred took part, the FB page of the "a force for good" pro-Union counter-demonstrators states that the procession took 47 seconds to pass them at the junction of Argyll and Queen Streets. Down from10,000 on the same march in Jan 2020. Didn't look like the "settled will" of the Scottish people from where I watched.

Saw this on the ache of face from Hope Blamire Artist

1659877095031.png

An island catastrophe.

In the past five days, only one ferry has brought passengers into Tarbert, Isle of Harris from the mainland. Four days of no new trade for local businesses. Five days of cancellations. That’s seven missed ferries with a capacity of more than 3500 passengers and nearly 400 cars.

As many more families with young children sat in their cars for up to ten hours in Stornoway today in the hope of securing a place on the 10.30pm ferry to Ullapool, many others were sleeping in cars across the water tonight awaiting the 3am sailing from Ullapool, only to find that CalMac have closed the office and toilets.

The people of Harris are in a critical situation.
- Cancer appointments missed.
- Other critical medical appointments missed.
- Delays in delivery of essential goods.
- Decrease in tourism numbers.
- Many, many thousands of pounds lost for each accommodation provider, catering establishment and retail outlets, amongst many other local businesses.
- People suffering from stress from the above issues.
- A gentleman had to contact his MSP to secure a ferry place to attend the funeral of his 43 year old brother on the mainland.
- For five days, the daughter of a gravely ill man has been unable to reach Harris to see her father.

A local resident said, ‘I don’t think people on the mainland realise just how devastating the impact on our small communities is. The tourist season is short here anyway but it’s the income generated during the short summer months that sustains the smaller businesses throughout the rest of the year. This year I don’t know how some will survive and that affects everybody. Also, it might seem trivial but when you can’t even buy milk or bread because deliveries aren’t getting through, it’s a truly bad state of affairs. My daughter thought I was joking when I asked her to send me some milk!’

One coach tour company who said they couldn’t risk the chance of the ferries not running, cancelled 18 weeks of accommodation and coach tours through the Western isles. A devastated local hotel owner has said that he has lost tens of thousands of pounds, and that’s only one business.

This is such a magical place which makes it so hard to see the communities being so badly served. Please support the islands in any way you can. Keep planning your trips. Don’t give up. That warm Hebridean welcome will be waiting for you.

Dread

LE
Saw this on the ache of face from Hope Blamire Artist

View attachment 683629

An island catastrophe.

In the past five days, only one ferry has brought passengers into Tarbert, Isle of Harris from the mainland. Four days of no new trade for local businesses. Five days of cancellations. That’s seven missed ferries with a capacity of more than 3500 passengers and nearly 400 cars.

As many more families with young children sat in their cars for up to ten hours in Stornoway today in the hope of securing a place on the 10.30pm ferry to Ullapool, many others were sleeping in cars across the water tonight awaiting the 3am sailing from Ullapool, only to find that CalMac have closed the office and toilets.

The people of Harris are in a critical situation.
- Cancer appointments missed.
- Other critical medical appointments missed.
- Delays in delivery of essential goods.
- Decrease in tourism numbers.
- Many, many thousands of pounds lost for each accommodation provider, catering establishment and retail outlets, amongst many other local businesses.
- People suffering from stress from the above issues.
- A gentleman had to contact his MSP to secure a ferry place to attend the funeral of his 43 year old brother on the mainland.
- For five days, the daughter of a gravely ill man has been unable to reach Harris to see her father.

A local resident said, ‘I don’t think people on the mainland realise just how devastating the impact on our small communities is. The tourist season is short here anyway but it’s the income generated during the short summer months that sustains the smaller businesses throughout the rest of the year. This year I don’t know how some will survive and that affects everybody. Also, it might seem trivial but when you can’t even buy milk or bread because deliveries aren’t getting through, it’s a truly bad state of affairs. My daughter thought I was joking when I asked her to send me some milk!’

One coach tour company who said they couldn’t risk the chance of the ferries not running, cancelled 18 weeks of accommodation and coach tours through the Western isles. A devastated local hotel owner has said that he has lost tens of thousands of pounds, and that’s only one business.

This is such a magical place which makes it so hard to see the communities being so badly served. Please support the islands in any way you can. Keep planning your trips. Don’t give up. That warm Hebridean welcome will be waiting for you.
That'll be the Isle of Harris that overwhelmingly voted for the SNP?

Fück 'em.

Let them kill a few seals and use the skins to make canoes to get to the mainland.

hoofie

Clanker
I had a read of the latest Calmac Board meeting minutes. Extremely heavily redacted under various provisions but basically no obvious discussions of fleet serviceability or availability unless of course redacted.

One has to wonder why the board are not considering their positions at the moment.

Old and Grumpy

War Hero
I had a read of the latest Calmac Board meeting minutes. Extremely heavily redacted under various provisions but basically no obvious discussions of fleet serviceability or availability unless of course redacted.

One has to wonder why the board are not considering their positions at the moment.
What a silly question - they have their noses in the trough and aren't about to voluntarily deny themselves the benefits their positions give them......

Latest Threads