Scottish Politics Thread

I’m torn as to whether this offer is just to get one over on the proposed industrial action south of the border or whether they realise the Unions have them by the balls.

Either way if they are to have seen to buckle easily (which they appear to have), or the Scotrail workers vote no and they have to pay more for Scotrail accept it in the short term, as now public sector workers, the SG are opening the flood gates re pay for every other public sector worker to follow suit at which point they may live to regret this take over of the rail network.

I’m torn as to whether this offer is just to get one over on the proposed industrial action south of the border or whether they realise the Unions have them by the balls.

Either way if they are to have seen to buckle easily (which they appear to have), or the Scotrail workers vote no and they have to pay more for Scotrail accept it in the short term, as now public sector workers, the SG are opening the flood gates re pay for every other public sector worker to follow suit at which point they may live to regret this take over of the rail network.
Excellent point.

• In March 2021, there were 579,400 people employed in the public sector in Scotland, accounting for 21.9% of total employment[1].
  • In March 2021, employment in the public sector was 16,810 (3.0%) more than in March 2020.
1 in 5 and rising employed in the public sector in Scotland. How many would that be in an independent Scotland? One of the many unanswered questions. As for how they would all be paid.......................?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Excellent point.

• In March 2021, there were 579,400 people employed in the public sector in Scotland, accounting for 21.9% of total employment[1].
  • In March 2021, employment in the public sector was 16,810 (3.0%) more than in March 2020.
1 in 5 and rising employed in the public sector in Scotland. How many would that be in an independent Scotland? One of the many unanswered questions. As for how they would all be paid.......................?
20% is relatively high. Of course many of Scotland’s public sector employees work for the central government on activity relating to the rest of the UK and their jobs would be going south post independence.

As you say. Not sure how the SG would pay for the one’s staying.

20% is relatively high. Of course many of Scotland’s public sector employees work for the central government on activity relating to the rest of the UK and their jobs would be going south post independence.

As you say. Not sure how the SG would pay for the one’s staying.
In the now, how will they pay for the wage increases for other public sector workers who go to the unions and ballot for strike action after Scotrail have set the bar at a minimum of 4.2%.

In layman’s terms that’s an increase of over £2k (before overtime). That will not sit well with many who earn half of what a train driver earns……. I foresee serious
trouble ahead (so inevitable that only the SG couldn’t see it).

johnboyzzz

On ROPS
On ROPs
In the now, how will they pay for the wage increases for other public sector workers who go to the unions and ballot for strike action after Scotrail have set the bar at a minimum of 4.2%.

In layman’s terms that’s an increase of over £2k (before overtime). That will not sit well with many who earn half of what a train driver earns……. I foresee serious
Starting with the RMT. Since the ASLEF are getting 4.2, if they accept it, then like you say that will be the minimum they, and others, will want.

Sounds simple if drivers are needed to cover all shifts regardless of Overtime
Then why not increase the staffing level and budgets or is that too easy ?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
I foresee serious

What did the NHS get this year, 9.4% followed by a similar increase the following year? Now the rail drivers want a big increase. HGV haulers MacPherson worker's union just secured 20% for their 300 workers (that'll ultimately get passed on to the consumer). It's one big domino effect waiting to happen and those of us who aren't 'essential' or aren't part of a union that can wag the dog are really in for it.

I'm just glad I'm in a low stress job (for now) where I can rack up the hours because we all know what's coming.

Last in the door and ScotRail workers have elevated themselves to top dog position in the Scottish public sector. These Tier 1 storm troopers have put the ‘hats in their place without firing a shot in anger.
Will the ‘hats just roll over and accept rail workers are the dogs and deserve more than them?
Would I? Not a hope in hell, if ScotRail get a lift then everyone gets a lift.
SNP/SG must be confident the rest of the sector will remain loyal to the cause and forget the inclusive society pledge.
Strike brothers, you are being discriminated against and your worth devalued by £50,000 pa train drivers.

we all know it will be the english at fault

cannot see that going down well, was D&G not an area that was a NO
Yes, it also returned conservative MP and MSP.
The local elections (12 wards) returned 16 conservatives, the most seats but not a majority.
Every ward had one if not two Tories - all frozen out.
The No SL voters must be proud their representatives are now SNP monkeys.
The trough is messy down DG way.

Sounds simple if drivers are needed to cover all shifts regardless of Overtime
Then why not increase the staffing level and budgets or is that too easy ?
Use MACP, or whatever it's called now, (I'd return to the colours for £50K+).
I've already watched this

its basically a dodgem; a go handle and a stop handle

Am just leaving this here, as someone in ScotGov have a similar lightbulb moment

5CA2F7F1-5D96-4BE5-B188-9C7E93B52283.jpeg

Did the bairns in Scotland ever get their free laptop computers?
My nieces n nephews haven’t yet

Whom is guilty

help needed or is it a case of tight purse strings

Excellent point.

And of the 78%, how many pay any tax?

Latest Threads