Scottish Politics Thread

But it’s all the fault of Tory austerity. If only they had the freedom to raise their own funds they could spend the amount of money needed.

Unfortunately healthcare is a bottomless money pit. It could always spend more.

It could also be a lot more efficient in a lot of areas.

Anyone who mentions Brexit should be ashamed of themselves. We have been stripping staff from poorer countries for years. It never should have happened. Sadly we’re still doing it to non-EU countries.

We need to be training homegrown medical, busing and AHPs not importing cheap labour.

Don't be silly. They won't be able to justify full privatisation of the NHS until they finish the work started by Cameron, Osborne and Hunt!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I drove up Leith Walk on Sunday afternoon and it was a veritable desert with miles of fencing punctuated by the infrequent crossing points.

Even when cars are eventually allowed back, it will be devoid of much of the bustle of a normal functioning community because the once busy, broad boulevard (sorry) will be reduced to a narrow road with much wider pavements, little if any parking and the empty ruddy trams plying up and down. Lots of cars potentially means lots of customers but that is something ignored by eco-loons and traffic planners.

Edinburgh used to have a perfectly decent suburban train system which my father used to use to get from his home in Morningside down to Leith Nautical College and most of the routes are still there but used by cyclists.
Edinburgh Cooncil does not want cars in Edinburgh!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
From those that have been on this site for many years, especially the Scottish Political threads will know my previous support for NHS Scotland and its previous good standing.

I honestly thought that I would end my working life there.

Mrs F says it's been years since she has seen me as happy and content with work as I am now.
I am really pleased for you FF and I hope that quality of life continues.

Our local council has a new SUSTRANS officer appointed, he's an utter headbanger, not even out of Uni and determined he's going to set the world on his vision, an annoying twat of a lad too. Point is,the eco uber-left brigade are getting more and more imbedded and given huge amounts of our money to put this pish in place.

ETA: If anyone is curious, here's the Twatter profile of our new SUSTRANS "officer" have a look, see how nuts he is. These are the folk who are giving you what's happening on Leith walk.

I genuinely hope these people drive this country into the ground harder than a suicidal Chinese pilot does with their 737.

Allegedly.

We get the government we deserve.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
We need to be training homegrown medical, busing and AHPs not importing cheap labour.

My understanding is that for those professions which require university level training, the numbers are agreed at a UK level rather than Scottish.

Draconian punishments and laws which are rigidly enforced. Spitting on the pavement is almost a capital crime because you're spitting on Singapore.
It would never work in the UK, too many deeply entrenched human rights.
Remember many a time, on the flight in, having to surrender any Chinese medicine and chewing gum to the stewardess.

The cycle route from Oban to Fort William is 3.0m wide, cost a fortune and seldom used. If you're a touring cyclist you use the roads as the cycleways are all up hill, down dale and round the corner.

I had public transport dumped on my lap at the end of my sojourn in the local authority and quite the most boring thing I've ever been involved in. We used to have meetings in Helensburgh where one of the individuals worked for SPT and always travelled by said public transport. He was always late, but hey, it's the principle.

Mrs F says it's been years since she has seen me as happy and content with work as I am now.

I'm not at all surprised, considering the vast majority of the islands inhabitants are the proud possessor of a bill/beak with little charge on dental resources, with only a teensy minority possessing fangs requiring the attention of a farrier.

The work life balance must be superb...

JB

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
My understanding is that for those professions which require university level training, the numbers are agreed at a UK level rather than Scottish.
I agree it’s a UK problem but I haven’t seen the SG suggest or offer any solution other than lots of migrant labour.

This is a massive problem in all areas of the NHS. Just about every single department is chronically and sometimes dangerously understaffed. This, quite rightly, is newsworthy. Brexit is indeed a contributory factor but I notice that they are reluctant to report or ignorant towards the SCOTGOV stealth cuts.

Marketed as "financial improvement" in the name of efficiency and value for money but they're cuts. Conscious of PERSEC and leaving myself open to repercussions but my part of the NHS is way in the red and expected to make tens of millions of pounds worth of financial improvement savings as dictated by SCOTGOV. Heard from one of the big bosses that they're now casting their eye over the staffing budgets because there's no fat to be found anywhere else (except there is, but that's a different story and pretty much exactly the same one as MOD procurement).

Cant you get rid of some managers, hr, equality and diversity staff, that way the loss will be unimportant

Cant you get rid of some managers, hr, equality and diversity staff, that way the loss will be unimportant
Actually, getting rid of HR staff has been an absolute cluster f**k. HR bods exist to carry out basic admin functions, our board has been binning them left right and centre. So now, all those basic HR functions have been passed on to managers and staff to perform (believe it or not, you need some managers). So now, instead of some lower banded HR drone filling in all the guff forms, you've got band 8 managers sitting doing it instead of what they're actually paid for. Hardly VFM. Getting rid of HR bods has undoubtedly been one of the worst decisions my HB has made.

Problem with HR isn't the bods, it's the labyrinthine policies. Couldn't agree more with you re the E&D mob, as well as countless other non jobs.

Part of the problem is how many that we're currently training who immediately Foxtrot Oscar somewhere else. I've talked about this before, combination of greed from the universities and taking foreign students along with better pay and conditions abroad.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Actually, getting rid of HR staff has been an absolute cluster f**k. HR bods exist to carry out basic admin functions, our board has been binning them left right and centre. So now, all those basic HR functions have been passed on to managers and staff to perform (believe it or not, you need some managers). So now, instead of some lower banded HR drone filling in all the guff forms, you've got band 8 managers sitting doing it instead of what they're actually paid for. Hardly VFM. Getting rid of HR bods has undoubtedly been one of the worst decisions my HB has made.

Problem with HR isn't the bods, it's the labyrinthine policies. Couldn't agree more with you re the E&D mob, as well as countless other non jobs.
It’s the same as putting accountants in charge. You need them to run the accounts but not the whole business.

One of the things that gets on my thrupennies about BBC Scotland, is that Reporting Scotland, our 'local' evening news programme, is increasingly covering 'national' news. This provides a duplication of the main item on the 'national' news, but with a 'Scottish slant', tonight being 'Partygate' (again).

Despite having a London-based reporter who appears on the programme almost daily, they sent down a Glasgow-based reporter to harangue MPs outside the Commons and report from Parliament Green, same place as the other gadgie.

It suggests the intention of the national broadcaster is to convey an impression of Scotland going it's own way by providing independent coverage despite these items being 'British'.

I'd rather they reverted to covering local events no matter how thinly spread they may be and leave London to provide national and international news, no matter how biased their coverage of that may be.

It’s the same as putting accountants in charge. You need them to run the accounts but not the whole business.

To update Shakespeare:

First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers....
then we gouge out the eyes of the accountants....
cut out the tongues of the advertising execs...
burn all media executives...
and, finally, castrate/sterilise all politicians.

It's a start.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
To update Shakespeare:

First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers....
then we gouge out the eyes of the accountants....
cut out the tongues of the advertising execs...
burn all media executives...
and, finally, castrate/sterilise all politicians.

It's a start.
I think Douglas Adams put the telephone sanitisers, account executives, hairdressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards, public relations executives, and management consultants in an Ark and sent them off into space.

seat_sniffer2

Old-Salt
Just seen the local 'Lesser Spotted Scotrail train' whizz past - on it's way to it's nocturnal perch probably? Will likely not see any more tonight? You'd think with the longer days they might spend more time visiting places e.g. festival venues/ late night shopping/ etcetera.

Rant mode on/ While I am quite willing to accept train drivers have a responsible job.... They seem to be paid a fair wage for what they do, sitting down in relative peace, and keep going in one direction etc. They joined up to be drivers ffs. Given their pay + other perks, incl concessionary rain travel for them & family in UK, & beyond. Probably free parking at stations. Compare this with SNHS nurses who might have to look after said 'driver' if he/ she is in dock due to sitting about and not exercising enough. Said nurses paid a lot less & having no such perks, busy noisy wards, working through meal breaks, and having to pay for parking at the unit where they work. FFS get just over themselves!! Rant mode off/ - though it might pop up again.

Latest Threads