Scottish Politics Thread

“Council refuses to quiz children on sex
A local education department is refusing to distribute a Scottish government questionnaire that asks pupils about their sex lives.
Pupils aged 14 and over are being asked about their sexual relationships, drinking, smoking and drug-taking habits in a health and wellbeing census.
One question for pupils from S4 to S6 says: “People have varying degrees of sexual experience. How much, if any, sexual experience have you had?” The multiple choice answers include oral sex, vaginal and **** sex.
Secondary school pupils are also being asked how old they were when they first had sex and about the methods of contraception they use.
West Lothian council has refused to issue the questionnaire, which it said “brought up significant concerns”.
Parents and others voiced their concerns on social media. One woman tweeted: “Scotgov are out of order asking for personal intimate info from children — adults wouldn’t answer these questions — it’s private info.”
Others disagreed, with one user saying that “teenagers, even those underage, have sex . . . pretending it doesn’t happen helps no one”.
Jo Bisset, of the parents’ group UFT Scotland, which campaigns against the enforcement of mask-wearing and other Covid-19 measures in schools, said that the Scottish government’s “desire to force kids into growing up too quickly” was “puzzling”.
Meghan Gallacher, children and young people spokeswoman for the Scottish Conservatives, said: “Parents will be questioning the appropriateness of the topics aimed at relatively young children. Parents know best about the emotional maturity of their child and may prefer to discuss sensitive subjects like drugs or sex at home.”
Questions about sex, relationships and drugs are directed to teenagers in S4 and above, while those on alcohol and tobacco are given to pupils in S2 and above.
Children in the final three years of primary school are being asked about their sleep patterns, social media, body image, bullying, health, physical activity and wellbeing.
The Scottish government said: “The census is providing information about the health and wellbeing of children and young people to help improve support. While the government has worked with stakeholders to design a set of questionnaires, it is for local authorities to determine which questions they ask. Parents and carers can opt out from their child taking part.”
West Lothian council said: “We carried out a review of the proposed survey and this brought up some significant concerns. We have advised the government we will not issue it to West Lothian young people in its current format.”

Treade a worme on the tayle, and it must turne agayne. Heywood, 1546

Basically the guidance is to split the patients into 2 pathways.
A nice easy treat as pre Covid or all the PPE and fallow time etc.

However, as we don't have access to PCR tests, then nobody's going to be classed in the first category.

Do you reckon there is any chance of Dentists getting back to doing routine check ups any time soon. Those guidelines are a bit sketchy.
I have always had my 6 monthly check ups and now i think its been almost 18 months to 2 years since my last.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do you reckon there is any chance of Dentists getting back to doing routine check ups any time soon. Those guidelines are a bit sketchy.
I have always had my 6 monthly check ups and now i think its been almost 18 months to 2 years since my last.

It's a bit of a catch 22.

Check ups are months behind. And reasonably easy to do under current guidance.
But as you do them, you find work needing doing. These appointments take longer and are being booked months in advance. They then fill the appointment book leaving no space for recalls, so they fall behind.

Then add in dealing with those with toothache and pain who will get seen but often require a follow up appointment or 2.

There's no simple solution.

There's also a huge debate on how we should be paid.

It's a bit of a catch 22.

Check ups are months behind. And reasonably easy to do under current guidance.
But as you do them, you find work needing doing. These appointments take longer and are being booked months in advance. They then fill the appointment book leaving no space for recalls, so they fall behind.

Then add in dealing with those with toothache and pain who will get seen but often require a follow up appointment or 2.

There's no simple solution.

There's also a huge debate on how we should be paid.

Cheers. So no check up any time soon.

If i get an indulgence flight down there, can you see me next week? :D

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cheers. So no check up any time soon.

If i get an indulgence flight down there, can you see me next week? :D

You might be cheaper just phoning your dentist and asking where they are with recalls.

Another reason, practices are falling further behind is that they are doing increased private work as the demand for it goes up due to SNAFU that is NHS dentistry.

I don't fully understand the implications of the BDA document FF linked up page as the dental situation appears in a state of flux, though I contacted my dentist last month with an emergency, was seen and treated that day and then had a routine check up booked for ~6 weeks later, with subsequent NHS and private apps booked for mid-Jan onwards.

Was amused when I heard the receptionist telling someone over the phone that they weren't taking on new NHS patients regarding Sturgeon's pipe dream of free treatment for U26, and I think it's fair to observe my practice isn't the busiest if apps are every 6-7 weeks in light of the covid back log.

it must be a local problem in your area, my dentist has been doing check ups and temp fillings etc since about halfway through last year plus dental hygienist appts using manual tools as opposed to the normal 'power tools' that could create aerosols - I've had 2 check-ups, 1 temp filling because my crown fell out and 1 hygienist appt so it looks like different dentists have different attitudes - and my dentist is nhs not private but as soon as she could open up last year, she did.

You might be cheaper just phoning your dentist and asking where they are with recalls.

Another reason, practices are falling further behind is that they are doing increased private work as the demand for it goes up due to SNAFU that is NHS dentistry.

Just called my dentist only to get an automated message telling me how delighted they were to be getting back to doing routine examinations however...… Don't call to book an appointment.......they will contact you when the get round to it. :rolleyes:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't fully understand the implications of the BDA document FF linked up page as the dental situation appears in a state of flux, though I contacted my dentist last month with an emergency, was seen and treated that day and then had a routine check up booked for ~6 weeks later, with subsequent NHS and private apps booked for mid-Jan onwards.

Was amused when I heard the receptionist telling someone over the phone that they weren't taking on new NHS patients regarding Sturgeon's pipe dream of free treatment for U26, and I think it's fair to observe my practice isn't the busiest if apps are every 6-7 weeks in light of the covid back log.

I did some locum work before flying out.
Patients seen in September 2021 were being given follow ups in August 2022.

It all depends if practices have managed to retain staff.

Due to Covid, no one graduated last year and the VT year (first year qualified) are having to do an extra year. This combined with Brexit means a severe shortage of associates.
A lot of places are under manned

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just called my dentist only to get an automated message telling me how delighted they were to be getting back to doing routine examinations however...… Don't call to book an appointment.......they will contact you when the get round to it. :rolleyes:

Sounds about right

I saw this morning that apparently Nicoliar is ‘pure raging’ because BoJo chinned her off for a 4 nations COBRA meeting regarding the new Covid variant, clearly Westminster has decided they need to see what happens and have accepted you can’t control the virus mutating and have to get on with it. Her need to appear relevant now and drag Covid out is clear and present and can only help delay her in chasing another referendum and of course it plays to the rabid Nats that it’s all against Scotland’s interests/will.

I imagine the embarrassment of Humza Useless having to say we are following the U.K. Gov model regarding the new variant yesterday must have a sabre rattled at it.

I then saw a couple of interesting articles which show she is painting herself into a corner again, which I suspect is what BoJo has forced her to do as her rhetoric is always the same.

I imagine the clock is ticking before her departure from post and the night of the long shanks will be coming ever closer but Humza as FM……….. the thought is actually terrifying, I can’t think of anyone more inept who would be in a position within the party for the post, and is he ‘Indy enough’ for the core support.

“In the course of next year, I will initiate the process necessary to enable a referendum before the end of 2023”​

“There has long been a dispute over whether the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood has the power to set up an independence referendum without the backing of the Westminster government.
In any case, Nicola Sturgeon has been clear that she wants the backing of UK ministers - as happened in 2014 - to ensure that any vote is recognised as a legitimate and binding one.

Last time, the power to hold a referendum was transferred to Holyrood after then-Prime Minister David Cameron signed a "section 30 order" - a technical term referring to the section of the Scotland Act which allows members of the Scottish parliament to pass laws in areas normally reserved by Westminster.
However, the current UK government has rebuffed Ms Sturgeon's requests for a similar deal.

If the first minister does table legislation at Holyrood without Boris Johnson's blessing, it is possible a challenge would be mounted at the UK Supreme Court to settle whether it goes beyond devolved powers.
If judges were to raise concerns about parts of that legislation, it could either be sent back to Holyrood to be amended - or scrapped altogether, if the problems are fundamental.”

The next generation candidates the first minister has publicly identified in the past are Health Secretary Humza Yousaf and Finance Secretary Kate Forbes.
Ms Forbes has let it be known that she does not want the job, considering herself too young and inexperienced and Scotland's political culture too harsh.
Mr Yousaf, by contrast, has made clear his desire to be "captain of the team" one day but his credentials are being severely tested by the challenge of managing the NHS through its current crisis.
Other potential candidates - including Constitution Secretary Angus Robertson, Westminster leader Ian Blackford and Deputy First Minister John Swinney - have been around a long time.
While some of her senior colleagues may wonder how long the Sturgeon era will last, there is no serious challenge to her leadership right now.
Her future appears to be in her own hands. As one MP put it: "Nicola's it until she decides she's not".

That last quote is interesting, I do wonder if, in time, she will have a choice in the matter for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
it must be a local problem in your area, my dentist has been doing check ups and temp fillings etc since about halfway through last year plus dental hygienist appts using manual tools as opposed to the normal 'power tools' that could create aerosols - I've had 2 check-ups, 1 temp filling because my crown fell out and 1 hygienist appt so it looks like different dentists have different attitudes - and my dentist is nhs not private but as soon as she could open up last year, she did.

It is indeed very variable, and much depends upon the practice and their willingness to take a financial hit in the short-term.

Some can not and have had to restrict their operations accordingly.

It can also be as simple as what the ventilation is in the surgery. This affects Air Changes per Hour, which affects length of fallow time or if you can see patients at all.

I did some locum work before flying out.
Patients seen in September 2021 were being given follow ups in August 2022.

It all depends if practices have managed to retain staff.

Due to Covid, no one graduated last year and the VT year (first year qualified) are having to do an extra year. This combined with Brexit means a severe shortage of associates.
A lot of places are under manned

Wow.

There are a couple of new faces at my practice, which has been established for decades so perhaps the owner has been able to replace leaving dentists more readily than other practices.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wow.

There are a couple of new faces at my practice, which has been established for decades so perhaps the owner has been able to replace leaving dentists more readily than other practices.

When work permit was doubtful, I put out my CV.
While I am experienced, my skillset is perhaps not best suited for every day NHS type work.

It's safe to say that everywhere I sent the CV responded with a when can you start, no interview required.

I saw this morning that apparently Nicoliar is ‘pure raging’ because BoJo chinned her off for a 4 nations COBRA meeting regarding the new Covid variant, clearly Westminster has decided they need to see what happens and have accepted you can’t control the virus mutating and have to get on with it. Her need to appear relevant now and drag Covid out is clear, and present and can only help delay her in chasing another referendum and of course it plays to the rabid Nats that it’s all against Scotland’s interests/will.

“In the course of next year, I will initiate the process necessary to enable a referendum before the end of 2023”​

So it was a 3 nations COBRA meeting then or..? :-D

The other rhetoric is the only other thing that really registered with me half listening to her yesterday. I get it's probably for the benefit of the minority rabid SNP supporters tuning into the news, though I would imagine referendum chat was met with a collective eye roll by those more curious as to what authoritarian restrictive preventative steps would be taken in relation to omicron.

including Constitution Secretary Angus Robertson,

What's his job ?

Is he busy writing this ?

First Minister and SNP leader Alex Salmond has told BBC Scotland that an independent Scotland should have a written constitution enshrining the rights of its citizens.

It might just be me - But I would have thought that in the event of trying to gain Independence, the written constitution that you keep mentioning would be the flagship and standard bearer for any Independence Referendum.

Perhaps it has already been written - And wee nippy cannot recall where it was put for safekeeping :D :D

( Psssst - Try the same place as the £600k )

So it was a 3 nations COBRA meeting then or..? :-D

The other rhetoric is the only other thing that really registered with me half listening to her yesterday. I get it's probably for the benefit of the minority rabid SNP supporters tuning into the news, though I would imagine referendum chat was met with a collective eye roll by those more curious as to what authoritarian restrictive preventative steps would be taken in relation to omicron.
From the glimpse at the front page when I was grabbing milk I’m sure it stated four nations; she’s obviously is going down the line England grrrrr, Scotland, Wales and NI.

A wee search reveals I am not wrong and my eyes did not deceive me.

“Boris Johnson has dismissed calls by Nicola Sturgeon to hold a four-nations Cobra meeting to discuss precautions against the new Omicron covid variant.”

Last edited:

Latest Threads