Scottish Politics Thread

View attachment 604855

"Forget £350 million a week for the NHS; an independent Scotland would be forced to find a huge £8.5 billion down the back of the sofa due to their 8% deficit. A report by the Institute for Government warns it would also “almost certainly be more expensive for Scotland to borrow than for the UK” as a result of higher interest rates."

And there's more. Link to full post: Sturgeon's £8.5 Billion Austerity Drive in Event of Scottish Independence

I think that might be out of date

Scotland‘s deficit more than doubled to £36.3bn, or 22.4% of GDP in 2020-21, the highest yearly figure since devolution, but it should not be an obstacle to making the case for independence, according to Scotland’s finance secretary.

Some of the comments are a thing to behold, I don’t know quite how no one manages to get sacked from the SNP for failures, only ever for scandal…….

Pressure is certainly ramping up, however suggestion of the reopening of the Glasgow Covid hospital to ease problems within NHS (Scotland) may not be feasible as I think it is on or certainly near the site of COP21 venues which means access may prove to be difficult for a number of valid reasons.

I think that might be out of date

Kate Forbes is surely going to become a drugs death statistic as she has to be on ‘Crack’ to be able to come out with that pish and actually think it’s feasible.

Probably more likely just stringing along the gullible party faithful with dreams of the utopia that would be an independent Scotland.

A more pertinent question to would be Indy voters is “how low are you realistically willing for your standard of living, benefits or wages to drop and how much tax would you be willing to pay to realise your dream”.

Some of the comments are a thing to behold, I don’t know quite how no one manages to get sacked from the SNP for failures, only ever for scandal…….

Pressure is certainly ramping up, however suggestion of the reopening of the Glasgow Covid hospital to ease problems within NHS (Scotland) may not be feasible as I think it is on or certainly near the site of COP21 venues which means access may prove to be difficult for a number of valid reasons.
This comment nails them:
1631885177131.png

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I am going to take issue with the call to take back comments regarding thinking twice before calling an ambi. We all know that A&E is a hang-out for any number of personality types, not all of whom have an emergency regardless of whether or not they have had an accident. Don't really want to get into a debate on why some are there because of poor service options elsewhere which "forces" them to this as a last resort, but there are always going to be a number there who really have no actual need for it.

The same applies to calling an ambi and it is the same lack of consideration that this is an emergency service, not a medical taxi. What would be instructive is how many times they get called back not to bother, or arrive and triage the casualty to find they are not needing medical treatment in a hospital environment - I don't know if there are stats on this but it might be quite illuminating.

It was emphasised that the wagon with the sparkly roof-rack should only really be called if you have a real emergency, you cannot make your way to A&E yourself or would benefit from immediate care during transit to same - such as suspected heart attack or a stroke. Mind you, the story this morning on porridge radio about the elderly woman who had fallen and had suspected hip / upper leg fracture was a definite ambulance case so that call would have been highly appropriate. That it took 8 hours to get there was for a completely different reason but one has to wonder how many of the pressing calls they had been dealing with between times may have turned out to be a WOFT. People need to be made aware that their selfish behaviours can and do have a direct effect on the service - which is why hoax 999 calls need to be properly investigated and where necessary prosecuted. Get the message across that this is NOT acceptable.

Having said that, I would expect that the number of calls where it really did not need an ambulance may be a very low percentage compared to those that do, so any effect in change in that may only be slight. There are far more fundamental problems involved, but it does not mean he should not ALSO draw attention to it. Of course, that may be assuming a certain level of intelligence in those receiving the message . . .

Again over the last few years, there's been an initiative to educate the public on seeing the correct health professional.

GPs, dentist, community pharmacist.
NHS 24

It's called Right care in right place

Again over the last few years, there's been an initiative to educate the public on seeing the correct health professional.

NHS 24

FF that is the first I have heard of it, even though it is common sense,I am sure I am not alone in that.

I don’t know quite how no one manages to get sacked from the SNP for failures, only ever for scandal…….
They dont get sacked, they just get moved to another post so they can **** that up too, eg. Humza Useless who has pretty much failed in every role he has been in charge of. As long as they stay in Sturgeons good books and kiss her ass, they are safe,

They dont get sacked, they just get moved to another post so they can **** that up too, eg. Humza Useless who has pretty much failed in every role he has been in charge of. As long as they stay in Sturgeons good books and kiss her ass, they are safe,

It does seem like she surrounds herself with incompetents so she always has someone else to blame and can look marginally competent in comparison

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt

NHS 24

You said the right care in the right place - the right one, I would say that that should be the one that does the necessary job, on time, as and when required. Can't say anything about dentists as I've thankfully only had good experiences but as for the rest: (exceptions excluded (but there are increasingly few of them))

GPs - Its not a profession or vocation anymore - It's all about how much they can screw out of the system in the minimum possible time before they take early retirement on massive pensions. It's a "95 to 5" job at best (or worst for them if they actually have to work a full day. Home visits - a thing of the past. My nearest (and only) doctors surgery is an hour away with a bus going once a day. If I have to see a doctor I have to get an appointment that is somewhere between 09.00 and 14.30 and spend the remaining time sitting in a bus shelter. - Didn't used to be like that but the new contracts they got are all about them and not the service doctors used to provide.

NHS 24 - usually a very well intentioned nurse that unfortunately can usually hardly speak any English - and throw in a highland West Coast accent and she it totally f**cked. If it's decided that you need an ambulance then trying to spell addresses is a nightmare as they just don't have a clue about where anything is...

999 - Still seems to work in rural areas - but as my nearest ambulance covers 3 peninsulas you have to time it right or you could be waiting for 4 or 5 hours if it's away somewhere else or if one has to come from the hospital.

The Local GP - he used to call round and if you needed to go to the hospital you would get bundled into his car and meet the ambulance on the road to the hospital.......

But hey - we now have 1000s of administrators who, according to the salaries and bonuses many of them get would seam to be doing a great job......

Read a paper some time ago that the NHS is the most expensive health system in the world per procedure and the higher the "rank" of the "professional" the less they care......

They learned that from the British Army :)

What are the SNP doing wrong in our schools? - why did we have a massive covid spike after the summer holidays and the English haven't? - is sturgeon testing our kids and they are not? our lot are wearing masks are they? - the problem when you have a rogue devolved regime doing its own thing in a pandemic is that you end up with confusing outcomes that are hard to decipher

You said the right care in the right place - the right one, I would say that that should be the one that does the necessary job, on time, as and when required. Can't say anything about dentists as I've thankfully only had good experiences but as for the rest: (exceptions excluded (but there are increasingly few of them))

GPs - Its not a profession or vocation anymore - It's all about how much they can screw out of the system in the minimum possible time before they take early retirement on massive pensions. It's a "95 to 5" job at best (or worst for them if they actually have to work a full day. Home visits - a thing of the past. My nearest (and only) doctors surgery is an hour away with a bus going once a day. If I have to see a doctor I have to get an appointment that is somewhere between 09.00 and 14.30 and spend the remaining time sitting in a bus shelter. - Didn't used to be like that but the new contracts they got are all about them and not the service doctors used to provide.

NHS 24 - usually a very well intentioned nurse that unfortunately can usually hardly speak any English - and throw in a highland West Coast accent and she it totally f**cked. If it's decided that you need an ambulance then trying to spell addresses is a nightmare as they just don't have a clue about where anything is...

999 - Still seems to work in rural areas - but as my nearest ambulance covers 3 peninsulas you have to time it right or you could be waiting for 4 or 5 hours if it's away somewhere else or if one has to come from the hospital.

The Local GP - he used to call round and if you needed to go to the hospital you would get bundled into his car and meet the ambulance on the road to the hospital.......

But hey - we now have 1000s of administrators who, according to the salaries and bonuses many of them get would seam to be doing a great job......

Read a paper some time ago that the NHS is the most expensive health system in the world per procedure and the higher the "rank" of the "professional" the less they care......

for the love of god dont try to put doctors in charge of running it! - contrary to belief doctors are really clever people at fixing you but not so good at logistics, planning or budgets! and that not including the politics so many now have - if I had my way it would be military staff and planners running the NHS so that it gets done right and efficiently

fecking useless SNP feck it up for Scotland again - greenports WTF!

Mind you I'm enjoying the fact that the UK Govt is now ignoring the SNP - I just wish the SNP would do something for the benefit of the Scottish people and not their own demented agenda

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

From my experience with GPs in my area, they do plenty of house visits as well as manning both local hospitals and minor injuries units.

NHS 24 nurses work off the algorithms developed for them. I have yet to encounter one who did not speak English. And some of the place names up here baffle everyone!

Yup, was located on the COP21 venue. Totally gone now and resources reallocated or scrapped. So no possibility of reopening. Used for SFA, bit of step down about a year ago then as a vaccine hub.
for the love of god dont try to put doctors in charge of running it! - contrary to belief doctors are really clever people at fixing you but not so good at logistics, planning or budgets! and that not including the politics so many now have - if I had my way it would be military staff and planners running the NHS so that it gets done right and efficiently

You'd be amazed how many doctors I know are of the opinion that they should run things. The phrase fiscal responsibility means absolutely nothing to them. The ones I unfortunately have to deal with seem to think the answer is always throw more money and warm bodies at it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yup, was located on the COP21 venue. Totally gone now and resources reallocated or scrapped. So no possibility of reopening. Used for SFA, bit of step down about a year ago then as a vaccine hub.

You'd be amazed how many doctors I know are of the opinion that they should run things. The phrase fiscal responsibility means absolutely nothing to them. The ones I unfortunately have to deal with seem to think the answer is always throw more money and warm bodies at it.

Speaking as a clinician, I think part of the problem is that we aren't given responsibility or budgetary control until quite far up the structure.

So there's no progression, it's straight in at deep end.

Speaking as a clinician, I think part of the problem is that we aren't given responsibility or budgetary control until quite far up the structure.

So there's no progression, it's straight in at deep end.
Valid point and I suspect a big part of the problem. By the time medics (at least the ones I know in a hospital setting) have to give any consideration to anything as trivial as a budget they've already spent a considerable amount of time calling the shots from a clinical perspective. Some of them get very angry when you tell them to go away and come back with a business case.

Latest Threads