Scottish Politics Thread

1627494597002.png

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Dredd

LE
I see they have announced free bus passes for all under 22 year olds.
Presumably that will help them get to all the jobs they are going to get

Sooooo, will that mean that there is no one who will actually be buying tickets to travel on buses now? Companies will be delighted with that. Just bill the State for it. Watch how the passenger numbers will miraculously increase shortly.

Hopefully the consultants looked at the SG and their track record of publicly owned companies.
There isn’t a definitive list but here are some examples:

Skills Development Scotland
Prestwick Airport
Scottish Futures Trust
Ferguson Marine Engineering Ltd (FMEL)
Caledonian Maritime Assets.
David MacBrayne.
Highlands and Islands Airports.
Scottish Canals.
Scottish Water.
Burntisland Fabrications

There are some there that are not doing too well so best leave the power industry alone - the private sector seem to be doing OK.
Tonight’s news:

Video:

Making waves: World's most powerful tidal turbine gets to work Making waves: World's most powerful tidal turbine gets to work

eta - spell, add video

Last edited:

syrup

LE
Sooooo, will that mean that there is no one who will actually be buying tickets to travel on buses now? Companies will be delighted with that. Just bill the State for it. Watch how the passenger numbers will miraculously increase shortly.

I thunk that happend down here with the pensioners pass

Pensioner gets on to go two stops to the shops
Driver records it as all day travel (which a bus pass is) and pensioner sits down
Same on the return journey

Only problem is pensioner has done about £1.20 worth of travelling but Council has spent £11 on it

Driver records it as all day travel (which a bus pass is) and pensioner sits down

Only problem is pensioner has done about £1.20 worth of travelling but Council has spent £11 on it
All bus services, including both commercial operators and community bus organizations, receive government subsidies based on their annual fuel costs.

Data from 2010-2011 indicate that the total amount of these subsidies was over £3 billion - I doubt we could attribute much of that to the bus-traveling seniors - maybe the 68p is in there somewhere :)
Actual figure: £3,064,362,570.68​

:-D

(Parody account)
Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd (CMAL) is a public body wholly owned by Scottish Ministers. It owns the ferries, ports and harbours and infrastructure necessary for vital ferry services serving the West coast of Scotland and the Clyde Estuary.

Scottish Ministers own Highlands and Islands Airports Limited (HIAL) which operates airports in Barra, Benbecula, Campbeltown, Dundee, Inverness, Islay, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Sumburgh, Tiree and Wick.

The 'Tories' you say Mr Blackford..............hmmmmmm

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt

I can’t vouch for the rest of Scotland, but on Borders Buses you tap your bus pass on the reader and tell the driver where you are going. The driver prints a ticket showing the journey but with a price of £0.00.

There is no option of an ‘all-day’ ticket as you have to scan your pass and get a new ticket issued each time you get on a bus. Inspectors (admittedly, very rarely seen) will expect to see, for the journey you are currently on, a valid bus pass and a £0.00 ticket . One isn’t valid without the other.

The system is set up like that to avoid bus companies carrying out scams like that listed above.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Drugs deaths up again.

A complex issue.

The overall figure includes both overdoses and those with historic abuse issues who have finally succumbed.

Latest Threads