Scottish Politics Thread

I totally agree and what you have suggested has been discussed with all the leaders just after the 2014 neverendum and again bore the recent election. Some senior elements within Labour attribute their failures in Scotland post 2014 to their working together with SC&U. I believe this to be wrong and have argued that losing popularity has very little if anything to do with that but they don't agree.

For that reason alone, Labour is highly unlikely to agree to almost anything that involves getting into bed with "toxic tories"

In a couple of conversations with a number of Liberals I got the impression that they believe that the Liberals could go back the the levels of popularity they had in Victorian times because the Tories are toxic, Labour is on the decline everywhere and only idiots would vote for the SNP. A suggestion that they adopt a tactic of selective canvasing in areas where they stood no chance of obtaining a seat was met with a resounding NO.

The Tories - they tried to get the other unionist parties to work together but they don't have the leadership in Scotland anymore that would install confidence in a ladies tea party.

I therefore don't hold out much hope that a unified counter to the SNP could happen...
Why I sense, it should come from Westminster and the party leaders themselves should sit down in London and hammer out a deal. If the local parties want to argue against the unionist parties then they're should be expelled and new people found in Scotland to represent a more robust Unionist Party (for scottish devolved elections)

Why I sense, it should come from Westminster and the party leaders themselves should sit down in London and hammer out a deal. If the local parties want to argue against the unionist parties then they're should be expelled and new people found in Scotland to represent a more robust Unionist Party (for scottish devolved elections)

the trouble is, Scotland is not really that important for everyone, less the SNP. Things like Covid, the economy, Health and Education, Woke pish, the EU, global terrorism etc are far more important and up front in peoples minds than the SNP Independence nonsense - and that includes the majority of Scotland!

It is more than clear that after years of her calling wolf! Sturgeon may shout a lot but has no intent to do anything because quite simply she a. knows she wont win indy 2 and b. she still hasn't got a workable plan where Scotland would be self sufficient and sustaining nation. Her plan is to continue shouting an stirring hatred to receive the funds from London to continue the bribes that she gives the cult and to cover the increasingly large GDP to deficit gap - its worked for her for years and the cult re too gullible to see through it.

As I have said before, give the vote to the rest of the Union, I think the result might surprise people.

So, end of the UK for you then?

The EU will be delighted.
Not sure if it would be the end of the union
the title would probably be the United kingdoms of england Wales, and Northern Ireland

really can't see the Taffs or Micks jumping ship

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

pete49

Old-Salt
I’m not sure giving the rest of the uk a vote on Scotland getting independence would work , the people would vote no just to watch the SNP meltdown, we,re a stubborn, piss taking country , remember boaty mcboatface

HE117

LE
Perhaps giving anyone of Scottish birth the vote?

(...not that I am in favour of giving anyone the vote on this!)

Now that the FM has stated that she will bring forward the legislation for indyref2, I urge you all to write to your MSP to ask them to affirm that they will fight to ensure that ALL Scottish members of HMF, and their families, are permitted to vote in the Referendum wherever they are posted around the world.
My letter will be going off tonight.

I’m not sure giving the rest of the uk a vote on Scotland getting independence would work , the people would vote no just to watch the SNP meltdown, we,re a stubborn, piss taking country , remember boaty mcboatface
folk would vote NO just for an end to it,they are sick to death of the shit stirring ungrateful few making all the noise,a real police force would be treating some of it as hate crime but it seems its okay as its the English picked on,Others have said it before it may come as a surprise but a LOT down here do not give a ****,all they want is a hard border GDR style when it happens.

Whatever would wind up the SNP the most

the trouble is, Scotland is not really that important for everyone, less the SNP. Things like Covid, the economy, Health and Education, Woke pish, the EU, global terrorism etc are far more important and up front in peoples minds than the SNP Independence nonsense - and that includes the majority of Scotland!

It is more than clear that after years of her calling wolf! Sturgeon may shout a lot but has no intent to do anything because quite simply she a. knows she wont win indy 2 and b. she still hasn't got a workable plan where Scotland would be self sufficient and sustaining nation. Her plan is to continue shouting an stirring hatred to receive the funds from London to continue the bribes that she gives the cult and to cover the increasingly large GDP to deficit gap - its worked for her for years and the cult re too gullible to see through it.
Big believer in copying your enemy, when they're have a tactic that works. The EU likes to plaster its rotten flag on places it finances and perhaps amend the formula and create a separate fund in relation to levelling up and introduce more direct payments to local councils in devolved areas who wish to participate in the 'Union Levelling Up funding'.

oldbaldy

LE
I heard we Nicola say that with independence there would be no problems for people moving backwards & forwards over the border as Scotland is part of the CTA, but as the CTA is an agreement between the UK & Irish Republic & Scotland would no longer be part of the UK I wonder if she has asked the UK government if they would agree to that.

Wee Krankie seems to have a distorted view of what independence actually is, for me as an Englishman it is:

1. Hard Border - Passport control and customs checks required.
2. No Funding - All funding cut off from the rest of the Union
3. Deficit - Scotland takes on it's share of the UK's debt
4. Defence - Faslane will close, Scotland will have the Scottish Regiments and a share of the Navy and Airforce, but they will have to finance that themselves. Also Intelligence may be disrupted.
5. Immigration Status - All current Scots living in the rest of the Union will be seen as illegal immigrants, and vice versa.
6. Currency - The pound will not be allowed to be used, so welcome the Scottish$ with a perverse exchange rate.
7. All Civil Servant jobs will move South, especially Army Records in Glasgow

So let them go ahead with it, had enough of the whinging and e want freedom, cut the bastards loose and wave farewell.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I heard we Nicola say that with independence there would be no problems for people moving backwards & forwards over the border as Scotland is part of the CTA, but as the CTA is an agreement between the UK & Irish Republic & Scotland would no longer be part of the UK I wonder if she has asked the UK government if they would agree to that.
My Scottish mate would be overjoyed if they shut the border. His life is now in London due to work, his kids all live and work in London, his parents are both dead so he has no reason to "go home", plus with the house he inherited, he would have a holiday home to go to :rofl:

My Scottish mate would be overjoyed if they shut the border. His life is now in London due to work, his kids all live and work in London, his parents are both dead so he has no reason to "go home", plus with the house he inherited, he would have a holiday home to go to :rofl:
He would be an illegal immigrant and shoved back over the border.

Latest Threads