Scottish Politics Thread

I don't think that there should be another referendum.

All I am doing is trying to counter some of the rhetoric on here that the results were not as pro Union as folk are making out. it was finely balanced.

Each side is grasping to take anything positive out of it and are presenting results as they see fit.

Posts above mention finding the facts for yourself. That is what I trying to do.

I'll be honest Fang, as disappointing as it is, I recognise that the SNP have come very close to having a credible case. Personally I think not quite close enough but I accept that both sides will claim a victory of sorts

So the subtext is - Didn't get majority that we shouted loudly we needed, but no matter, going to keep shouting anyway.

Exactly as predicted.

I suspect little Nicola might be in for a bit of a surprise

Boris and HMG have succesfully managed Brexit (mostly anyway) and the vaccine roll out means Kung Flu is largely under control unless the Chinks release another variant
HMG can now focus on countering the SNP's hate campaign and fixing the Union.

I sincerely hope that Boris is now making sure that all necessary resources are focussed on the problem.

With a little luck the SNP may just have blown their last chance, hopefully anyway.

One thing Is certain, the SCU & LiDems need to find common ground. Labour wont play ball, the recovery talked about planned for has to include reversing the cuts recently imposed by GCC.

Any suggestions on e-commerce working in conjunction with high street footfall. I went for a walk in the rain yesterday, six shops got my cash.
physical currency that feels real proving that cash is king.

All I am doing is trying to counter some of the rhetoric on here that the results were not as pro Union as folk are making out. it was finely balanced.
While I agree that the for and against numbers may be roughly 50-50, I'm pretty sure that in order for the referendum to be shown to be positive for devolution it has to be something like 75% in favour. So a finely balanced poll is not really relevant

By the finest of margins in the constituency vote.

If you then examine the regional vote, more voted fro pro indy parties than Unionist, again by teh finest of margins
Half the bastion of rabid nationalists, half the home of people fearful of going it alone.
Now factor in the dire economic prognosis for an independent Scotland. sturgeon would be wise to get out fast and leave the rising tide of ordure for robertson. I predict a riot. I predict quite a few.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One thing Is certain, the SCU & LiDems need to find common ground. Labour wont play ball, the recovery talked about planned for has to include reversing the cuts recently imposed by GCC.

Any suggestions on e-commerce working in conjunction with high street footfall. I went for a walk in the rain yesterday, six shops got my cash.

The LibDems are still suffering up here from their Coalition with Conservatives in Westminster. It has been their death knell. They are slowly drifting out of existence,
Their 4 seats were all constituency wins and based on personality rather than Party grounds.
They picked up nothing in the regional lists.

shellbackmac

War Hero
That was more draining than the usual day of voting and night of counting! I was duty so haven't had a drink and am now waking up sober to Groundhog day. A nationalist majority the same (plus 3 seats from 2016) as it has been since 2011. Independence roughly split 50/50. What's to look forward to? Zero, 5 more years of open warfare on the hated Tories in Wastemonster from the SG and the melon munchers with the SNP in the HOC taking the opposite stance on anything and everything just for the sake of being anti-English. Meanwhile the kids can't read or write properly, the roads around Dunfermline are full of holes and the NHS is still in the same godawful mess. Even if there is another referendum and the Nationalists lose the result will in no way be respected and I will be sat here with you lot in 5 years time talking about Sturgeon's democratic demand for Indyref 3, the roads around Dunfermline will be full of holes, the kids still won't be able to read or write.................

Last edited:
The LibDems are still suffering up here from their Coalition with Conservatives in Westminster. It has been their death knell. They are slowly drifting out of existence,
Their 4 seats were all constituency wins and based on personality rather than Party grounds.
They picked up nothing in the regional lists.

I would also add that our LibDem MSP also gets out and about in the community and has done a good jobs so far.

As for Lib Dem policies, a bit vanilla but a good middle ground.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Echo chamber? I’ve got to have somewhere to go, to escape the cloying adulation and free pass that Sturgeon gets up here.
If you want comment from other sections of society then perhaps a British Army forum isn’t the best place to look.

There was plenty of discussion from both sides pre IndyRef 1.

Over the years, it has slowly morphed into a very one sided affair.

I'm glad that Boris is being the bigger man and inviting Nicola - PBUH! - to the, "Team UK" meeting,

After all, he needs someone to make the sandwiches and coffee. ;)

HE117

LE
This whole process needs a disconnect and fire break.. whichever side you take, the status quo is damaging Scotland and the Scots and needs to stop. The current political context is toxic and is only favouring the wide boys, thugs and chancers within the community, who are frankly taking liberties..

The past decades of political idiocy have created voids in all parts of Scottish society, in particular the civil service, police, education and the media, all of whom have been following primary school levels of proberty and competency. If Scotland was ever to become an independent state, these agencies would Beirut the situation right from the get go.

The fundamental problem was that the original Blair/Smith/Dewar devolution plot was fatally flawed in that it never seriously acknowledged the deep and significant fissures in Scottish Society, and believed that the Labour party could always control the Glasgow/Dundee caucus and curb their brooding resentment. Believe me, these folks have chips (.. and vinegar) on all parts of their bodies.. they can do "brooding resentment" at world beating levels, as even a cursory glance at history will show!

In my opinion, the whole affair is mind bendingly stupid.. whatever your feelings, this level of division in a western society is not necessiary or justified, and is ultimately self destructive. I am a loyal Scot, but if my nation is guilty of one thing, it is being far too easily led. From William Wallace, to Charles Edward Stuart and Nichola Sturgeon, we have a history of falling in love with individuals whose personal agendas do not stand much close scruitiny and who have led us off various cliffs at full tilt, with NO consideration of the consequences.

There is no doubt that the economic situation has not favoured Scotland over the past forty years, and that it suffered much from the collapse of manufacturing industry in the seventies and the shredding of the banking and finance businesses in the past decades. The same however could be said for the rest of UK north of Watford. The need for "levelling up" is at last becomeing understood in London, which is finally beginning to understand that its wealth is not delivered by fairies.. This exercise needs to include Scotland if these islands are to survive as a going concern..

My view is that we need to get to an agreement whereby we call a halt to any consideration of independence for a generation. I suspect that this will not be achievable in a transparent manner, however the "British Way" is to have an agreement between the real stakeholders and buy them off. I think this is achievable; Nichola must understand that if she actually got independence, history suggests her chance of being assassinated within ten years is entirely possible and this is somewhere she really does not want to go. This I suspect is actually what the "fish fight" was about, and that it was Salmond who was trying to drive the project off the cliff.

With a bit of luck, Boris is now so powerful that he can afford to really play hard ball and put the frignteners on the Scottish civil service, police, Fiscal etc and put them back in their boxes to allow a period of calm to return whereby we can sort our lives out in comparative peace for a bit...!

Last edited:
That was more draining than the usual day of voting and night of counting! I was duty so haven't had a drink and am now waking up sober to Groundhog day. A nationalist majority the same (plus 3 seats from 2016) as it has been since 2011. Independence roughly split 50/50. What's to look forward to? Zero, 5 more years of open warfare on the hated Tories in Wastemonster from the SG and the melon munchers with the SNP in the HOC taking the opposite stance on anything and everything just for the sake of being anti-English. Meanwhile the kids can't read or write properly, the roads around Dunfermline are full of holes and the NHS is still in the same godawful mess. Even if there is another referendum and the Nationalists lose the result will in no way be respected and I will be sat here with you lot in 5 years time talking about Sturgeon's democratic demand for Indyref 3, the roads around Dunfermline will be full of holes, the kids still won't be able to read or write.................
This is, unfortunately, very true and I've decided to walk away from discussion on the land of my birth as its clear that the SNP is what the Scots want. Well good luck with that, I'm out.

This is, unfortunately, very true and I've decided to walk away from discussion on the land of my birth as its clear that the SNP is what the Scots want. Well good luck with that, I'm out.
Ditto. I put a post on my FB page last night. I have both unionist and nationalist friends. I'm letting Scottish politics go, as I'll drive myself to insanity trying to understand why my fellow countryfolk are happy to see Scotland fall deeper into the crap of the last 14 years.
I respect everyone's choices, as that's democracy (something the SNP have never followed), but it doesn't mean I agree with it, or understand it.
Myself and the missus are lucky in the fact that we can afford to move to England if it gets worse, something we have been discussing for a while.

FHA

LE
There was plenty of discussion from both sides pre IndyRef 1.

Over the years, it has slowly morphed into a very one sided affair.

That’s because pre Indy Ref 1 there was some semblance of competence from the S.G.
Since then they’ve had another 7 years proof-of-concept and, guess what? They’ve got sh!t at the day job, it’s that simple. That’s the recurring beef with most of the posters on here.
I enjoy your analysis, it’s really good (I’ll come here first for it, rather than go straight to the news) but that high functioning brain of yours misses the point sometimes.

Half the bastion of rabid nationalists, half the home of people fearful of going it alone.
Now factor in the dire economic prognosis for an independent Scotland. sturgeon would be wise to get out fast and leave the rising tide of ordure for robertson. I predict a riot. I predict quite a few.
I suspect your correct. If they got independence and the financial gravy train stopped just wait until all the minkers and scroungers (core support) started getting ‘their’ money stopped; Police Scotland has neither the staff, capability or training to deal with the public order issues.

They don’t have enough staff trained in public order to cover COP 21 in November as it is (they needed 1500 extra trained in house), and that’s notwithstanding the fact they will get mutual aid from English forces to help and that’s pretty much for one major city - remember G8 anyone?

Post independence the English would tell us to feck right off and would deploy their staff for potential issues at the new border and let the place tear itself apart.

It would be like a national ‘Old Firm’ game without the Police on a good day and more like a civil war on a bad one. If that’s the sort of ‘progressive policies’ they want to pursue then I’m out........

All their tactics to gain support thus far mirror Germany in the 20’s/30’s and that went toxic pretty fast. I’d go as far as to say that it’s half way their - the venom spat out when mentioning ‘Tories’ or ‘Boris’ actually means the English to half their bigoted racist little cult.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And that seems to be the Nats way of working, gnawing away at the opposition until it goes away, leaving just Nats. What Scotland needs is more people willing to put St Nic (pbuh) back in her box rather than just run away from her.

the only time I've spent 'cash' since the pandemic occurred has been on 3 occasions this year and that was to buy 3 x 6 quids worth of chinese carryout - on the other hand, I have spent far too much money using my card in the supermarkets and on Amazon and other on line retailers. I highly suspect that my experience is the norm and yours is the exception

Latest Threads