Scottish Politics Thread

homeworker

War Hero
I'm afraid i have to disagree mate, as seen recently in the USA, wall to wall 24/7 lies and negativity on one candidate and the general situation in the country, whilst actively promoting the other candidate and suppressing any bad news stories on them is pretty effective - particularly when mainstream combines to work in concert with social media.

The situation here in the UK/Scotland is not yet as extreme wrt bias, as the USA but I think its pretty much undeniable that the MMS has consistently failed to investigate/challenge the SNP/Sturgeon narrative and has thus allowed them a pretty easy run when compared to the likes of BoJo or the Tory/Labour party's.

I personally believe that much of this is plain and simple ignorance and a lack of interest from the London based media on Scottish matters at the same time as large swathes of the Scottish based media seem to be pro SNP. The only time in recent years I saw the media put sturgeon under any major scrutiny was the recent Salmond enquiry where they quickly lost all interest after 2 weeks of her masterful obfuscation, time wasting and lies which allowed her to ride it out.
I must admit that if a labour/Tory leader went through an enquiry (and subsequent interviews) peddling the i don’t remember/I don’t recognise that situation/I don’t have a record of that - including her response to a financial question of ‘our planning is out of date so I cannot answer’ the media frenzy would be like chucking meat into a Brazilian river but she just gets left alone.

I'm afraid i have to disagree mate, as seen recently in the USA, wall to wall 24/7 lies and negativity on one candidate and the general situation in the country, whilst actively promoting the other candidate and suppressing any bad news stories on them is pretty effective - particularly when mainstream combines to work in concert with social media.

The situation here in the UK/Scotland is not yet as extreme wrt bias, as the USA but I think its pretty much undeniable that the MMS has consistently failed to investigate/challenge the SNP/Sturgeon narrative and has thus allowed them a pretty easy run when compared to the likes of BoJo or the Tory/Labour party's.

I personally believe that much of this is plain and simple ignorance and a lack of interest from the London based media on Scottish matters at the same time as large swathes of the Scottish based media seem to be pro SNP. The only time in recent years I saw the media put sturgeon under any major scrutiny was the recent Salmond enquiry where they quickly lost all interest after 2 weeks of her masterful obfuscation, time wasting and lies which allowed her to ride it out.
The old media game of coordinated campaigns of smoke and mirrors, isn't enough by itself these days to unseat an incumbent. You referenced Trump and it took Covid to unseat him(with full media support) and the inverse to that process, was the EU Referendum to end the old London conceit on our relationship with Europe (without media support).

A Scottish referendum is something the SNP should deeply fear, as it becomes an event they're can't wiggle out of.. The MSM will be forced by events to support Johnson and the independence media will break themselves on the contradictions in the cults prospectus. Another failure would be the metaphorical equivalent of Boris(Hadrian) building a palace over the shrine to Scottish independence.

It really doesnt matter how much Sturgeon/SNP/cult want Scotland to be Independent we will never be able to sustain ourselves unless oil and Gas regains its pre 2014 value and the Govts around the world stop/reverse all of their Green pish

So if wee Nicky doesn't get a majority, will there be a referendum to give control back to England and dispense with the Scottish Government?

shellbackmac

War Hero
Master F was certainly finding places to drink in the last week!

And walking down the street opposite the castle was full of tables outside bars and restaurants. Mind you all folk were well wrapped up!

The outside bars were thronged as you say despite the weather but the days of a pub crawl around snugs and saloons are so far off in Scotland it will surely be the death of most of them. Add to that gigs, nightclubs, theatres and cinemas and you can see why the SG is being taken to court. At least Ingerlund are trialling nightclubs (packing thousands in this weekend just gone) and sporting events indoors (full house at the snooker) and also getting supporters back into grounds. EURO 2020 in Glasgow will be the ultimate non-event up here with more Scotland fans in Wembley than at Hampden.

So if wee Nicky doesn't get a majority, will there be a referendum to give control back to England and dispense with the Scottish Government?
Be interesting if the Scotgov had the same rule over petitions as Westminster does, then introduce one on the benefits of Scotland renouncing their right to devolved government status :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The outside bars were thronged as you say despite the weather but the days of a pub crawl around snugs and saloons are so far off in Scotland it will surely be the death of most of them. Add to that gigs, nightclubs, theatres and cinemas and you can see why the SG is being taken to court. At least Ingerlund are trialling nightclubs (packing thousands in this weekend just gone) and sporting events indoors (full house at the snooker) and also getting supporters back into grounds. EURO 2020 in Glasgow will be the ultimate non-event up here with more Scotland fans in Wembley than at Hampden.
Don't bank on it, us English may just ban Scottish fans for shits and giggles :mrgreen:

Capture.JPG

Be interesting if the Scotgov had the same rule over petitions as Westminster does, then introduce one on the benefits of Scotland renouncing their right to devolved government status :)
It would also be good if we had the the right of recall of MSPs, then you would not have had Deek trousering his pay for doing nothing!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Aren't they? Mine says it quite a lot. And she is gay.

Screenshot_20210504-173304_Drive.jpg

According to Stonewall "that's so gay" or "you're so gay" is the commonest homophobic language in use.
Screenshot_20210504-173252_Drive.jpg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And due to Covid, there will be no over night counting and the result is unlikely to be finalised until Saturday.

May I just ask, if I said "I am gay" is that acceptable (I'm not, by the way), or is drawing attention to the statement homophobic?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
May I just ask, if I said "I am gay" is that acceptable (I'm not, by the way), or is drawing attention to the statement homophobic?

If you mean happy then perfectly acceptable but open to interpretation, as you aware as you put in clarification.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just think, we now live in a world where someone (or some consultancy) will have been paid a large wedge of dosh to churn out that guff!

Stonewall is a very influential organisation in terms of the impact it has on the public sector.
It has the ear of all Governments and councils in the UK.
Every health board is a fan as are all local authorities.

Stonewall is a very influential organisation in terms of the impact it has on the public sector.
I’m not having a pop at Stonewall - but the self licking Industry that has grown year after year, as Organisations try and keep up (and comply with) Government Legislation. I recall a few decades back when we were all being encouraged to write ISO9000 Policy Documents in order to get that ‘must have’ logo on our letterheads.
It has got steadily worse over the years, creating a whole Industry that churns out volumes of unreadable documents on a myriad of subjects, at great expense, which no one on the shop floor ever reads!

If kids are not allowed to say things such as "that's so gay".
That any hint of calling someone a big poof because of a failed tackle is classed as abusive.
These are both examples quoted by Stonewall as homophobic then am pretty sure that they would not relish homosexual practice being called disgusting.
Not like the government and public sector to allow minority, single issue pressure groups to be the arbiters on what’s considered acceptable speech, even out of the mouths of children. As someone erudite said, No one has the right not to be offended.

Latest Threads