Scottish Politics Thread

And as I said, I am not sure.
However I would suspect that as it's a comment on the internet, it would be online.

If kids are not allowed to say things such as "that's so gay".
That any hint of calling someone a big poof because of a failed tackle is classed as abusive.
These are both examples quoted by Stonewall as homophobic then am pretty sure that they would not relish homosexual practice being called disgusting.
What he said wasn't, IMO, online abuse.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What he said wasn't, IMO, online abuse.

This is the difficulty, I agree that it was not abusive of an individual as such, however I would tend towards calling it homophobic in nature.

This is the difficulty, I agree that it was not abusive of an individual as such, however I would tend towards calling it homophobic in nature.
That is where we differ, her and I and her son and husband, as I have just asked them as they are visiting, doesn't. They both say that is his opinion and are not offended by it.

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt
Reported, you really are obsessed with disgusting homosexual practices.

ETA As for the SNP’s ability to handle finances, they cannot even manage to ring-fence £600,00of the indyref donations. In Scotland’s future for the once in a generation indyref it was stated that the organs of the Scottish state could be set up for £600 M, but it cost £180M to set up the Scottish Farm subsidy system. Frankly my dear chap they just don’t have a clue.
What he said was "disgusting homosexual practices" he didn't say all homosexual practices are disgusting - He might believe that only some are..... - This discussion really needs to go into the snowflake thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What he said was "disgusting homosexual practices" he didn't say all homosexual practices are disgusting - He might believe that only some are..... - This discussion really needs to go into the snowflake thread

I did not think he'd been in the Navy. :)

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
I agree with FF. If a group of people are having a convo and one of them makes a comment that upsets the one gay person in the group then that is homophobic. You can not put any quantity on how many have to be offended before it becomes acceptable. Banter is no excuse. :cool:
Good grief! And all those rugby songs we sang over the years.... :rolleyes:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good grief! And all those rugby songs we sang over the years.... :rolleyes:

Indeed, what was acceptable decades ago is not so today.
Mind you, I seem to recall that some were not acceptable then!

Applies to race, gender, sexuality etc.

Questions that wont get answered,

E0KEjD6XMAwRllm

shellbackmac

War Hero
Some got done near Aviemore however what the crayon sookers didnt bank on was a trail camera set up and catching them at it.
I drove up the A9 to Inverness on Saturday and back down today from just South of Perth to Inverness there were numerous Tory boards in fields, not many SNP with the exception of someone near Aviemore who has a Drew Hendry 2019(!) GE poster on their garden fence...southbound I spotted a vandalised vote Ewing SNP sign North of the Drumochter Pass, some pretty dedicated sign defacing going on! Inverness was full of every parties sign on every bloody lampost. Loads of Tory signs roundabout Ft George. There were a couple of Green SNP-liters manning a table in Inverness on Saturday and that was that.

Inverness itself was pretty depressing, I love the place but every bar I visit on football trips was shut, boarded and desolate. God help us if this is the proposed 'Lets be different to England and keep social distancing for ever' mode that seems to be the way ahead from Sturgeon. Bizarre rules on entering some shops, massive places only letting 6 people in with large queues outside whilst other smaller establishments letting people in. If this is the new Scottish normal you can shove it. Edit to add: I forgot about the ALBA Noddy car driving around the town centre on Saturday. Stirring stuff being shouted at by a bloke with a loud hailer from a small woad painted Volkswagen.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I drove up the A9 to Inverness on Saturday and back down today from just South of Perth to Inverness there were numerous Tory boards in fields, not many SNP with the exception of someone near Aviemore who has a Drew Hendry 2019(!) GE poster on their garden fence...southbound I spotted a vandalised vote Ewing SNP sign North of the Drumochter Pass, some pretty dedicated sign defacing going on! Inverness was full of every parties sign on every bloody lampost. Loads of Tory signs roundabout Ft George. There were a couple of Green SNP-liters manning a table in Inverness on Saturday and that was that.

Inverness itself was pretty depressing, I love the place but every bar I visit on football trips was shut, boarded and desolate. God help us if this is the proposed 'Lets be different to England and keep social distancing for ever' mode that seems to be the way ahead from Sturgeon. Bizarre rules on entering some shops, massive places only letting 6 people in with large queues outside whilst other smaller establishments letting people in. If this is the new Scottish normal you can shove it. Edit to add: I forgot about the ALBA Noddy car driving around the town centre on Saturday. Stirring stuff being shouted at by a bloke with a loud hailer from a small woad painted Volkswagen.

Master F was certainly finding places to drink in the last week!

And walking down the street opposite the castle was full of tables outside bars and restaurants. Mind you all folk were well wrapped up!

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
'Big poof' is the language of English public school Tories. In Scotland the culturally superior, protected phrase is 'big Jessie'.
Oh, I don't know. Used to work with a gay bloke who told an extended self-deprecating story. His finishing words were, "Not bad for a big, fat poof."

Righto, on with the politics. A few Tory posters started to spring up, with so far no LibDem, while Oban had one Andy Wightman poster.

I fear the result of this election has turned into an election of personalities, between Sturgeon and Johnson

stirred up of course by the "unbiased" UK media

think about it for a minute, , our entire future `in Scotland depends upon an industry that hates one , and seems to love (if not love , tolerate) the other

as have said on quite a few sites , we get the government we vote for , and when it all goes tits up, WE are the people responsible

(some of us have an exit plan should it go wrong, the ones who elect the shower of shit that looks increasingly like they will get their way,probably don't, and are totally responsible for the shit storm that is approaching)

I fear the result of this election has turned into an election of personalities, between Sturgeon and Johnson

stirred up of course by the "unbiased" UK media

think about it for a minute, , our entire future `in Scotland depends upon an industry that hates one , and seems to love (if not love , tolerate) the other

as have said on quite a few sites , we get the government we vote for , and when it all goes tits up, WE are the people responsible

(some of us have an exit plan should it go wrong, the ones who elect the shower of shit that looks increasingly like they will get their way,probably don't, and are totally responsible for the shit storm that is approaching)
The media can't swing an election anymore. For instance I doubt more than half the country now believes its version of the truth absolutely. But its still very powerful and as you say a battle of personalities plays well on the doorstep, which is handy when your trying to influence the electorate on polling data.

I am personally unconvinced myself about the weekend polls. both the SNP and Labour nationally the poll rises are too consistent and looks like a body of don't knows have been counted into the SNP/Labour column. The thing of it is the election day is the important one and I stick by trends, rather than a bad weekend.

In Summary;
My view remains the same; the SNP will win the popular vote but will finish below 46% and the latent dislike we have for cocky types hurts Boris in the polling, but will hurt the SNP on voting day.

Dredd

LE
And as I said, I am not sure.
However I would suspect that as it's a comment on the internet, it would be online.

If kids are not allowed to say things such as "that's so gay".
That any hint of calling someone a big poof because of a failed tackle is classed as abusive.
These are both examples quoted by Stonewall as homophobic then am pretty sure that they would not relish homosexual practice being called disgusting.

Aren't they? Mine says it quite a lot. And she is gay.

The media can't swing an election anymore

I'm afraid i have to disagree mate, as seen recently in the USA, wall to wall 24/7 lies and negativity on one candidate and the general situation in the country, whilst actively promoting the other candidate and suppressing any bad news stories on them is pretty effective - particularly when mainstream combines to work in concert with social media.

The situation here in the UK/Scotland is not yet as extreme wrt bias, as the USA but I think its pretty much undeniable that the MMS has consistently failed to investigate/challenge the SNP/Sturgeon narrative and has thus allowed them a pretty easy run when compared to the likes of BoJo or the Tory/Labour party's.

I personally believe that much of this is plain and simple ignorance and a lack of interest from the London based media on Scottish matters at the same time as large swathes of the Scottish based media seem to be pro SNP. The only time in recent years I saw the media put sturgeon under any major scrutiny was the recent Salmond enquiry where they quickly lost all interest after 2 weeks of her masterful obfuscation, time wasting and lies which allowed her to ride it out.

Latest Threads