Scottish Politics Thread

Is that your honest opinion ?

Scotland...pop. 5.46million. 2.6 million vaccinated...2nd dose 634.422.

England...pop. 67.61million. 31.4 million vaccinated...2nd dose over 5.2million

Forget all about percentages anmd, SNP propoganda,she is still doing shite !
Stats n ratios can always be skewered, vaccinations are politically prominent

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FF have you discovered who in your profession was consulted about the new policy and do you have any idea of how much it will really Cost?

There's various factions at play.

The Scottish Dental Association seems to be gaining the ear of the Chief Dental Officer but as previously posted, he told them very recently that there would be "conversations" before changes.

The Scottish Dental Practice Owners group have been assured that they will be listened to.

The SDA and the SDPO seem to hate each other for some reason.

But the only official recognised union type body for such negotiations is the British Dental Association.

It would appear therefore that not one of those 3 were consulted.

And given the CDO's remarks the other week, it is unclear if he was even consulted.

The first group to be entitled to free treatment is 18-26 year olds who have been in care.
However I am pretty sure that that had already been announced.
It's a very small group.

To work out the potential cost is slightly complex, and don't have time today but it will be substantial given that most people currently pay 80% of the fee.

There was meant to have been a new model of care and thus payment system but covid has completely knackered that.

When lockdown 2 came into force, the minimum work load was removed from the entitlement to NHS monies. It will shortly be reinstated at 20% of pre Covid output.

That's about the capacity under current NHS regulations. This is why many dentists are increasingly doing private work.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is that your honest opinion ?

Scotland...pop. 5.46million. 2.6 million vaccinated...2nd dose 634.422.

England...pop. 67.61million. 31.4 million vaccinated...2nd dose over 5.2million

Forget all about percentages anmd, SNP propoganda,she is still doing shite !

Our steer is definitely more towards second doses than continuing first ones. Especially since the magic 50 year old group were done.

But it can be slow work. Last Monday was housebound. Myself and a colleague, pretty much all day, just to do 18 jags.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Are there many more cuckoos waiting to be released?

My favourite is Scapa Flow will become the new Singapore.

Scapa Flow has been a safe anchorage for full tankers for many years. Oil bought when prices are low are stored in them until the price rises again.

The advantage over warmer climes are proximity to European markets and a complete lack of pirates.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very rough calculation on cost of free dentistry. An additional 520 million a year.

Current costs approx 430 million. Which is broken down into 130 million for the government share of the patient fee and 300 million for every thing else (PDS, superannuation, capitation, grants, rate relief etc)

Therefore that 300 million would need to be paid. And 650 million in patient fees.
Making a total of 950 million a year.

However that is based upon the same level of NHS care being provided.

Who is going to opt for private care when they can get it free on NHS? The demand will increase.

Last edited:
There's various factions at play.

The Scottish Dental Association seems to be gaining the ear of the Chief Dental Officer but as previously posted, he told them very recently that there would be "conversations" before changes.

The Scottish Dental Practice Owners group have been assured that they will be listened to.

The SDA and the SDPO seem to hate each other for some reason.

But the only official recognised union type body for such negotiations is the British Dental Association.

It would appear therefore that not one of those 3 were consulted.

And given the CDO's remarks the other week, it is unclear if he was even consulted.

The first group to be entitled to free treatment is 18-26 year olds who have been in care.
However I am pretty sure that that had already been announced.
It's a very small group.

To work out the potential cost is slightly complex, and don't have time today but it will be substantial given that most people currently pay 80% of the fee.

There was meant to have been a new model of care and thus payment system but covid has completely knackered that.

When lockdown 2 came into force, the minimum work load was removed from the entitlement to NHS monies. It will shortly be reinstated at 20% of pre Covid output.

That's about the capacity under current NHS regulations. This is why many dentists are increasingly doing private work.
This is all seeming very familiar to me. In my field only a select few (very few) seem to have SCOTGOVS ear and they're now riding roughshod over the profession. This is despite the overwhelming majority screaming from the rooftops "BAD IDEA, REALLY F**KING BAD IDEA".

The former may not be much in the greater scheme of things but the timing in the run up to the election when Ross is trying to exert some authority is unfortunate.
It all just adds into the narrative that Scotland is not a priority for the PM.
Why would Scotland be a priority for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

I can accept him having a keen interest and not wishing to involve himself in the affairs of a UK constituent but how, in all honesty, can he prioritise one part over another?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why would Scotland be a priority for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

I can accept him having a keen interest and not wishing to involve himself in the affairs of a UK constituent but how, in all honesty, can he prioritise one part over another?

Because there is an election very soon.
Much of which is being campaigned upon whether the United Kingdom should continue as such.

Because there is an election very soon.
Much of which is being campaigned upon whether the United Kingdom should continue as such.
And then he gets accused of interfering in the local elections in Scotland. It is not for the UK PM to lead the fight against independence in Scotland at this time, it is for the Unionist politicians (I.E. SCUP) and for the PM during General Elections which involve all UK constituent parts.

The PM can comment on questions put to him regarding Scottish independence but during a local election he has to avoid doing so at all costs.

shellbackmac

War Hero
Tactical voting coming into play in my neck of the woods in Fife. The father in law has told me of a massive bust up between an elderly couple (originally from Derby but been here for well over 50 years) with the wife, a staunch Tory, absolutely refusing to vote for the SLAB candidate having voted Conservative for 60 years, no amount of explanation on the need for tactical voting will change her view! Different news from Tory neighbours who are all apparently holding their nose and putting an X next to Julie MacDougall, the Labour girl from Burntisland in the Constituency vote. Probably make no difference but Dunfermline (and Cowdengelly) have a Labour history that is hopefully still bubbling under (like the "nearly" moment in the 2017 GE when the SNP lost a 10,000 majority in Dunfermline and West Fife and Lesley Laird won Cowdenbeath). I live in forlorn hope....

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yesterday's lot.

A personal letter from LibDems
16186855664694152254447295402022.jpg

And a couple from minor parties
16186856247891378528940534218546.jpg

16186856943524669981533288767950.jpg

Today we have more LibDems personally addressed
16186857774805812247728699053551.jpg

and one from the fringe element

16186858618347550080627962636236.jpg

All heading the same way, to the fire.

The LibDems are really pushing their candidate, emphasising her localness, but she's from Easter Ross so is foreign to those from Sutherland and may as well be an alien to those in Caithness!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And then he gets accused of interfering in the local elections in Scotland. It is not for the UK PM to lead the fight against independence in Scotland at this time, it is for the Unionist politicians (I.E. SCUP) and for the PM during General Elections which involve all UK constituent parts.

The PM can comment on questions put to him regarding Scottish independence but during a local election he has to avoid doing so at all costs.

My issue is that as you pointed out, he is PM of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. But the most important part of that up here is the Scotland bit.

In his time as PM, he has pretty much avoided anything to do with Scotland. A couple of official trips over the years.
He has made a rod for his own back.

Dredd

LE
Nothing subtle about it...by now Scotland should have been done and dusted ???

Am I reading you correctly? You think one part of the UK should be completely vaccinated before any other part of the UK, rather than being done at roughly the same rate as everywhere else? One half of the population has received a first dose, around 10% have received a second (which makes around 20% of those already vaccinated).

I wonder if anyone else saw Sarah Smith interviewing Willie Rennie yesterday on the beeb

And the two pigs shagging behind them

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The National, everyone’s favourite heavyweight journalistic tome, doesn’t see fit to publish a single thing about HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

Latest Threads