Scottish Politics Thread

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Didn't ask them? Did you miss the Big Conversation and all the crap that went with it? I clearly recall being asked my opinion and cementing my answer with a cross in a box.
How long should that be binding for? Until everyone who voted is dead? Should every law that is enacted be binding forever? In a democracy people can change their minds.

Dredd

LE
I don't really care what the SNP said. Its a political party I don't support and don't agree with. Its a principle of British Democracy that no parliament can bind future parliaments. That is to say that parliament can always change the law if it wants to.

The same principle extends to any democracy. If it's clear that the 2014 vote is no longer supported by the majority then it ceases to be valid. Telling me that I'm not allowed to vote on an issue in 2021 because people voted on it in 2014 is dictatorship.

So just because the Wee Hoosie is called a Parliament, it can decide unilaterally to rip free from whatever formally constituted State it belongs to, because it cannot be bound by it?

You are mixing your concepts here. A Parliament cannot bind a future executive OF THE SAME PARLIAMENT, but it has the legal right to bind one that is beholden to it. The Scottish Parliament is only there because of an Act of UK Parliament - it can just as easily be removed or curtailed, should a majority of the Parliament decide to do so. It won't, for what should be obvious reasons, but it can.

Dredd

LE
I’m not really sure what your point is. If you are trying to say that people are voting g for the SNP but they don’t really want a referendum then you’ve lost the plot.

There are flaws in all democratic systems but basically if the punters don’t like the government that elected they can vote for someone else.

Perhaps you would like a system with more referenda.

I didn't say that. And you know it.

Dredd

LE
How long should that be binding for? Until everyone who voted is dead? Should every law that is enacted be binding forever? In a democracy people can change their minds.

Yeah, you are just stirring it now.

In one post you accuse me of wishing for persistent referenda, like the Swiss model, then accuse me of the exact opposite.

And NOT to publish any reports on;

Education (so you can judge me on it)
Hospital design (they might open some time)
Bi Fab (who?)
Prestwick (where?)
Glen Sannox (and other assorted Ferries I'm launching)
My very best friend (The Lord Advocate/or the French Connection)
Highland Steel Plants (I mean it is only £600M)
Indyref dosh (I mean it is only £500K)
AS (Feck how did I balls that one up?)
iScotland the plan (I haven't found the back of an envelope to write it on yet)

add your own please

I’m not really sure what your point is. If you are trying to say that people are voting g for the SNP but they don’t really want a referendum then you’ve lost the plot.

There are flaws in all democratic systems but basically if the punters don’t like the government that elected they can vote for someone else.

Perhaps you would like a system with more referenda.

If SNP voters genuinely wanted independence they would demand it was a UK wide vote, thus ensuring a resounding yes to independence

But it won't happen because they just want to be able to walt as Scousers be eternal whinger turtles, and not take the responsibility of actually having independence

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry for the Daily Fail.. But look at meeeeeee

Moderna is only going to mass vaccine centres in Glasgow, Grampian and Lothian.

Us lesser mortals will not get issued with it.

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
There is one advantage to that approach. People would get a fair idea of what they are voting for in a referendum.

The reality rather than the fantasy might cause more people to vote with sensible head.

As an earlier poster mentioned leaving the EU was relatively easy despite the attempts at sabotage and the wailing of project fear. Leaving the union will not be easy at all even if the London government are willing to play nice.
It plays into the "independence yesterday!" crowds hands but as lego head has stated today it will also turn off soft NO voters. Doesn't take away the fact the man is an arrogant, egotistical bawheid who I hope passes a hedgehog as his next movement.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is that due to stock control for current vaccines or just the age numbers in the populated areas

multi dose vials that don't like to be transported, so easier to use in the biggest locations nearest the distribution point.

Have had the training in it, just in case.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With regards to manifestos, no party has released theirs yet.

giatttt

War Hero
And NOT to publish any reports on;

Education (so you can judge me on it)
Hospital design (they might open some time)
Bi Fab (who?)
Prestwick (where?)
Glen Sannox (and other assorted Ferries I'm launching)
My very best friend (The Lord Advocate/or the French Connection)
Highland Steel Plants (I mean it is only £600M)
Indyref dosh (I mean it is only £500K)
AS (Feck how did I balls that one up?)
iScotland the plan (I haven't found the back of an envelope to write it on yet)

add your own please
How about the costs of setting up, and then maintaining Scottish versions of the following:

HMRC
DVLA
PNC
GCHQ
MI5/6
Foreign Office
Home Office
MOD
Coastguard
CAA
Openreach
Transco
ONR (things nuclear)

You might be tempted to think "why would I even want to do that?".

I liken the emotion of the separatists and their rhetoric that once they have independence they can sort out the details, to the occasion when my three year old offspring was found standing in the hallway with a bag containing his teddy declaring that he was leaving us as we would not comply with his demands.

How about the costs of setting up, and then maintaining Scottish versions of the following:

HMRC
DVLA
PNC
GCHQ
MI5/6
Foreign Office
Home Office
MOD
Coastguard
CAA
Openreach
Transco
ONR (things nuclear)

I liken the emotion of the separatists and their rhetoric that once they have independence they can sort out the details, to the occasion when my three year old offspring was found standing in the hallway with a bag containing his teddy declaring that he was leaving us as we would not comply with his demands.

Not forgetting needing their own Border Force and a Berlin style wall to stop the proletariat from leaving the People's Democratic Republic of Scotland to richer lands where people aren't forced to eat their pets to survive unlike under the benevolent regime of Queen Nicola

HMRC
DVLA
PNC
GCHQ
MI5/6
Foreign Office
Home Office
MOD
Coastguard
CAA
Openreach
Transco
ONR (things nuclear)

The SNP have probably not even considered setting those up.

Also, their armed forces.
So worth repeating on this thread, that pre-referendum a friend & his colleagues at HQ Land were tasked with valuing SCOTS DG because Scotland in the event of gaining independence would have to pay for them.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
So just because the Wee Hoosie is called a Parliament, it can decide unilaterally to rip free from whatever formally constituted State it belongs to, because it cannot be bound by it?

You are mixing your concepts here. A Parliament cannot bind a future executive OF THE SAME PARLIAMENT, but it has the legal right to bind one that is beholden to it. The Scottish Parliament is only there because of an Act of UK Parliament - it can just as easily be removed or curtailed, should a majority of the Parliament decide to do so. It won't, for what should be obvious reasons, but it can.
Not forgetting needing their own Border Force and a Berlin style wall to stop the proletariat from leaving the People's Democratic Republic of Scotland to richer lands where people aren't forced to eat their pets to survive unlike under the benevolent regime of Queen Nicola
The EU will require Scotland to have a hard physical border. I suspect the English will require one too. Scotland will become a backdoor to illegal immigration into England. It could end up being like the US Mexican border. That may also backfire on Scots who may find their access to England restricted.

Latest Threads