Scottish Politics Thread

The biggest problem we have in Scotland is that the oposition to the SNP are totally disorganised, underfunded and working seperately without any co-ordination or cohesion.

Sturgeon is undoubtedly a liar, cheat and fundamentally incompetent whose ego surpasses that of her mentor. Salmond is an able but nasty little man with a colossal ego determined that the temple will come down if he is not allowed to be the Messiah. It is working because it is the only possible opportunity for the opposition in Scotland to do any damage and is fantastic fun and mischief for the press. In reality it is an item of absolutely no interest or significance to any sane and sensible person who leads the SNP. The only thing of interest is how to get them out of power.

Having said all that, it is interesting is it not, and we are all guilty, that we are enraged by the transgressions, be they ever so minor, of those of whom we do not approve but effortlessly rationalise and forgive those, be they ever so major, of whom we do. My working assumption is that almost all politicians are lying to us almost all of the time but where the line lies with which you are prepared to live is how we all kid ourselves. I do not believe that there is a member of the Westminster cabinet that has not broken the ministerial code, some of them are repeat offenders and most of the offences are self-evident and documented. If you think they are doing an adequate job you will not care or consider them anything out of the ordinary. If you are not happy with their efforts in office you will be incensed that they are getting away with it and there is ‘One rule for them and quite another for us’.

Life continues to remain unfair. Now that is a reliable fact!! Hallelujah!

So - does the whole system, Westminster and Holyrood need a thorough weeding out and the current incumbents replaced by people with integrity and at least some semblance of honesty?
That will not/cannot happen, ever. We are left, I'm afraid, with the least bad/worse of the bunch (old or new) to choose from, in order to be controlled in our mundane existence, I honestly don't believe there is, or ever will be, an escape from this situation.

The biggest problem we have in Scotland is that the oposition to the SNP are totally disorganised, underfunded and working seperately without any co-ordination or cohesion.

Sturgeon is undoubtedly a liar, cheat and fundamentally incompetent whose ego surpasses that of her mentor. Salmond is an able but nasty little man with a colossal ego determined that the temple will come down if he is not allowed to be the Messiah. It is working because it is the only possible opportunity for the opposition in Scotland to do any damage and is fantastic fun and mischief for the press. In reality it is an item of absolutely no interest or significance to any sane and sensible person who leads the SNP. The only thing of interest is how to get them out of power.

Having said all that, it is interesting is it not, and we are all guilty, that we are enraged by the transgressions, be they ever so minor, of those of whom we do not approve but effortlessly rationalise and forgive those, be they ever so major, of whom we do. My working assumption is that almost all politicians are lying to us almost all of the time but where the line lies with which you are prepared to live is how we all kid ourselves. I do not believe that there is a member of the Westminster cabinet that has not broken the ministerial code, some of them are repeat offenders and most of the offences are self-evident and documented. If you think they are doing an adequate job you will not care or consider them anything out of the ordinary. If you are not happy with their efforts in office you will be incensed that they are getting away with it and there is ‘One rule for them and quite another for us’.

Life continues to remain unfair. Now that is a reliable fact!! Hallelujah!

So - does the whole system, Westminster and Holyrood need a thorough weeding out and the current incumbents replaced by people with integrity and at least some semblance of honesty?
Well stated, unfortunately Animal Farm comes to mind.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

giatttt

War Hero

That way leads to military coups as we see in Burma today. However the thing that (IMHO) keept it in check was the unelected house of lords (minus the religious element) Holyrood does not have a revising chamber which is not really surprising as it was envisaged as a regional assembly on steroids.

However the stories in the press today of MPs sexually assaulting junior members of staff can only be the tip* of the iceberg, so there is obviously a need for an independent standards body that can initiate, prosecute, and eject failing members.

*timing is a bot convenient to discover some historical abuse.

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt
That way leads to military coups as we see in Burma today. However the thing that (IMHO) keept it in check was the unelected house of lords (minus the religious element) Holyrood does not have a revising chamber which is not really surprising as it was envisaged as a regional assembly on steroids.

However the stories in the press today of MPs sexually assaulting junior members of staff can only be the tip* of the iceberg, so there is obviously a need for an independent standards body that can initiate, prosecute, and eject failing members.

*timing is a bot convenient to discover some historical abuse.
I couldn't agree more. Unelected house has its faults but better than the political patronage system we have now...

Holyrood does not have a revising chamber which is not really surprising as it was envisaged as a regional assembly on steroids.
Instead of a second house/chamber the Scottish Parliament (SP) has committees. The latter are designed to keep the Scottish Government (SG) in check. “The Scottish Parliament is a unicameral, committee-based legislature”. Committees scrutinise the work of the SG, ministers from the SG cannot be a member of a committee, but can be called forward for questioning.
The public have recently been able to watch a committee at work where ex First Minister (FM) Alex Salmond and FM Nicola Sturgeon were called forward for questioning. The committee: an SNP Chair, 3 SNP, 2 SC&U, one SL, one LD and one Independent (ex Green who in general side with the SNP). Already tipped 5 to 4 in favour of the SNP the work of the committee was disrupted by the SNP SG withholding vital evidence. Evidence that the SP had instructed the SG to hand over. In effect the SG obstructed and some say defied the ‘will of the people’. A phrase often bandied about by the SNP when dealing with Westminster and a future Scottish Referendum. The final work of this committee has yet to be completed, but is weighted in favour of the SNP SG. IMHO the public have been duped, this committee, whilst appearing to be transparent, has been rigged to fail, at best the SG will get its wrist slapped. It follows that the single chamber, committee-based legislature that is the Scottish Parliament will also fail. The people cannot honestly hold its Government to account. Hail FM, Hail FM, Hail FM - give us more false hope and sweeties!
PS - I hope I’m proved wrong in my prediction.

A clear message that we’re I. The middle of a pandemic and spreading disease and encouraging other to do so is not acceptable.

The more people break the rules the longer it will take to break the chain of transmission.

Do you live in the real world? - the Scottish lockdown effectively finished 2 weeks ago with the good weather, I walk every day and there are now huge gangs of kids out and about on their bikes, playing football and hanging around in the woods etc. There are also swathes of people/familys out walking etc The Rangers win was a significant event for fans who have not seen success for a decade and emotion and joy won out. Draconian punishment of the nature you suggest would only stir hatred and anger and produce diddly squat - and for the record I dont follow football so there is no partisan bias.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Do you live in the real world? - the Scottish lockdown effectively finished 2 weeks ago with the good weather, I walk every day and there are now huge gangs of kids out and about on their bikes, playing football and hanging around in the woods etc. There are also swathes of people/familys out walking etc The Rangers win was a significant event for fans who have not seen success for a decade and emotion and joy won out. Draconian punishment of the nature you suggest would only stir hatred and anger and produce diddly squat - and for the record I dont follow football so there is no partisan bias.
This is exactly why we have a continued problem. Too many people think it doesn't apply to them. The virus doesn't spread by magic. It won't be defeated by magic.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately both these links are shit (te he).
Anyway do you know what form the tests take is it:
Shit on a stick (bowel cancer style)
Tickle the back of the balls (MRSA style)
Full insertion (they don’t like it up ‘em, Dad’s Army style)
FB_IMG_1615271772303.jpg

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Concur, our village has been packed for weeks, no matter what the weather, with all three cafes/pubs that are open for takeaway having queues down the street. Everyone is generally sensible with distancing and behaviour but Legohead must exist in an alternative reality if she doesn't realise that her great news on meeting outdoors next week has been going on regardless of rules, and the cold, since xmas.

A very polite 'Stop f**king lying' letter from Rangers to Wee Krankie.

I actually hope she's stupid enough to double down as I would love to watch Ranger sue her for slander

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

A very polite 'Stop f**king lying' letter from Rangers to Wee Krankie.

I actually hope she's stupid enough to double down as I would love to watch Ranger sue her for slander
Well, she got stuck into Rangers in the Wee Hoose today and although she did mention the letter she said the blame sits firmly on Rangers - not exactly those words but that was the intent. Very strong hints that she may stop Scottish football if the game doesn't get its act together. Spent quite a long time talking about this.

Well, she got stuck into Rangers in the Wee Hoose today and although she did mention the letter she said the blame sits firmly on Rangers - not exactly those words but that was the intent. Very strong hints that she may stop Scottish football if the game doesn't get its act together. Spent quite a long time talking about this.

Thankfully I missed that, I think I was washing my bald spot.

Did she veer into legally actionable speech ?

Latest Threads