Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Haven't eaten that for many years. Probably why I'm still here.
Used to get it off the butchers van along with square sausage and black pudding. Fortunately it was only rarely when visiting my Grandparents in Banknock .

Had some at lunch the day, square sausage, black pudding and tattie scones.

Had some at lunch the day, square sausage, black pudding and tattie scones.
1614542689890.png

To be honest, I have never understood who the pollsters were asking in poll after poll where the majority allegedly wanted Independence. That is not the sentiment expressed in those around me and in actual fact the disdain for the SNPs Independence lies are very strong. However, it now appears that the polls have swung the other way and it is no surprise post brexit where the plague of locusts did not happen, the EU have been shown up to be completely incompetent feckwits and the UK has orchestrated a vaccination programme that the SNP would not have agreed to plus we have needed UK assistance to get our jab rates up when the SNP governance has been shown to be shambolic

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be honest, I have never understood who the pollsters were asking in poll after poll where the majority allegedly wanted Independence. That is not the sentiment expressed in those around me and in actual fact the disdain for the SNPs Independence lies are very strong. However, it now appears that the polls have swung the other way and it is no surprise post brexit where the plague of locusts did not happen, the EU have been shown up to be completely incompetent feckwits and the UK has orchestrated a vaccination programme that the SNP would not have agreed to plus we have needed UK assistance to get our jab rates up when the SNP governance has been shown to be shambolic

There's definitely evidence of multiple Yes voters in my locale.

Perhaps it's working in health.

An interesting read

Integrity yes, but what about accountability ?
The SNP is an ideological party and as such has no integrity, because it would never choose an option that benefits the union over scotland. The nationalist goal is the only thing that matters.

Up until this Salmond story, where was the Fourth Estate(Media) ? they're have generally avoided criticising holyrood and its works, because the media liked to use them and the scottish people as a stick to beat the tories.

For a short term headline, the media have created a monster.

Truxx

LE

Previous polls, particularly those quoted by the SNP, tend to anwser the question "should there be another referendum" Which is a very different question to the independence one. I can see a situation where unionists, fed up with the antics, might want an opportunity to kick the whole thing into the long grass.

It is also worth noting the polling figures pre the 2014 referendum, which put "yes" at 65% or more - and look what happened there. There is a good Ipso/MORI graph somewhere, and the last week or so has seen any perceived "overwhelming support" nosedive. In addition, as you rightly point out, many other issues have raised their heads many of which have holed the SNP narrative below the waterline. It would be a very brave man (or woman) who, in the current turbulent climate, based any strategic decision on a perceived small lead in a handful of opinion polls.

Mind you. That has not stopped them in the past.

Polls capture the mood and simply captured the hostile mood towards Boris. To then equate that to the guesstimate of the final result, is the complex bit and if your carrying any bias, then it will effect your sample.

Where people are starting to waver about a declared choice, its hard to gauge where they're will land and why the polling can be solid and stable for months and then start to deliver wildly different results as the waverers and secret waverers start to think about personal responsibility of voting the right way.

Polls are as much use as tits on a fish, no matter which way they read. It's on the day that counts, where the silent majority (or minority) that have never got involved with the "he says / she says" argument cast their votes.
May will tell us if Scotland has had enough or not. I'm not holding my breath though. If there's one thing the past few years has shown me, it's how utterly, ridiculously idiotic some Scots are when the word independence is uttered.

in my experience, the SNP support is in deprived council estates and the upper middle class who are comfortably off - the ones whose kids benefitted the most from free uni and are well enough off to be above or are below the 'squeezed' middle - the blue collar in my circle, at home and at work seem to be majority No but, we can only see what surrounds us and not outside our personal circle but thats what makes dodgy polls dangerous - it can create a narrative that may or may not exist.

I’m not holding my breath though. If there's one thing the past few years has shown me, it's how utterly, ridiculously idiotic some Scots are when the word independence is uttered.
Once the key word has been stated it is time to commit the ultimate act of self harm and press the self destruct button.

The Nation has been groomed in the same manner the sex monsters and fraudsters have been picking off juveniles and the vulnerable. Even after the evidence has been produced and explained the victims hang on to a thread of hope that the exploiters are good people really.

It is hard to admit wicked uncle Ernie was and is a kiddie fiddler or your new internet friend is temporarily financially strapped. The former never loved you and the latter will never pay you back. Such is the strength of grooming.

Anyway, back to the day job; time to sign off the birthday letters and write another letter to the EU about a sub.

Last edited:

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt

Tick, tock, tick, tock.... I suspect they may finally give in simply because they have no choice however but can they delay the inevitable so that, like many things, nothing comes out till after May?
Given the sh1tstorm that is happening it might be a good thing if NS does try to hold on until May - or at least a bit closer to election day - a lot of people who may want Indy might decide to tactically vote if she is still in post just to get her out..... Personality politics is very fickle and she has overplayed her hand in this game

Once the key word has been stated it is time to commit the ultimate act of self harm and press the self destruct button.

The Nation has been groomed in the same manner the sex monsters and fraudsters have been picking off juveniles and the vulnerable. Even after the evidence has been produced and explained the victims hang on to a thread of hope that the exploiters are good people really.

It is hard to admit wicked uncle Ernie was and is a kiddie fiddler or your new internet friend is temporarily financially strapped. The former never loved you and the latter will never pay you back. Such is the strength of grooming.

Anyway, back to the day job; time to sign off the birthday letters and write another letter to the EU about a sub.
I saw that interesting birthday card to a 16yo (I wonder if it was Deek's idea, what does he do for his pay these days and when will partei suspension turn into partei exclusion, how long does it take to have an enquiry?) what worried me more was the thought that the SNP are data mining the voter registration rolls to find anyone of that age, to groom them into the cult. Who paid for this; the cult or more likely my taxes?

edited to add: waits for @Fang_Farrier to come along and say it's only the Chief Mammy reaching out to Scottish youth and promising to be their special Named Person.

in my experience, the SNP support is in deprived council estates and the upper middle class who are comfortably off - the ones whose kids benefitted the most from free uni and are well enough off to be above or are below the 'squeezed' middle - the blue collar in my circle, at home and at work seem to be majority No but, we can only see what surrounds us and not outside our personal circle but thats what makes dodgy polls dangerous - it can create a narrative that may or may not exist.
The SNP adopted the 'all the worlds a stage' philosophy very quickly. They're were able to cast the union as parochial and old fashioned and that was generally loved by the sneery attitudes which can pervade in large parts of that upper middle class. So, capture the cultural heights and its a very powerful tool of propaganda for the masses to buy into the cool scotland (See: Blair and cool britannia)

Departure from the EU reinforced that outward looking attitude from the union and the SNP have ridden that wave for all its worth. One should however point out, what happened after Blair and the rise of UKIP during the time that we were all living the dream under Blair.

In Summary:-
In political terms the Boom of Cool, has to have a Bust at some point and many on those deprived estates may have noticed that public services have not improved and lives have not been made better under 'authentic' scottish rule.

Rab_C

LE
I saw that interesting birthday card to a 16yo (I wonder if it was Deek's idea, what does he do for his pay these days and when will partei suspension turn into partei exclusion, how long does it take to have an enquiry?) what worried me more was the thought that the SNP are data mining the voter registration rolls to find anyone of that age, to groom them into the cult. Who paid for this; the cult or more likely my taxes?

edited to add: waits for @Fang_Farrier to come along and say it's only the Chief Mammy reaching out to Scottish youth and promising to be their special Named Person.
I received 18th Birthday cards from all three main English parties, admittedly quite a while ago now. I thought it was common practice one you reached voting age.

My view (for what's its worth), coming from an upbringing in a typical Lanarkshire scheme, is that a sizeable number of those individuals who shout loudest about Freeeddoom, English bast.... etc, do so to be seen to conform/run with the team etc.

The reality is that once they go behind that curtain in the voting both (particularly if they are working), think f*** that, I'm not chancing my livelihood to a pipedream....

Anyone else noticed, Last week every day on the news (Engish and Scottish) Alex Salmond
move forward to this week , not much mention of Wee Krankie

well balanced reporting by the msm as usual