Scottish Politics Thread

What I want to know is , IF, Scotland voted for independence , who is going to pay back the billions of pounds the UK has incurred in debt to see us through this pandemic
UK gov have been shovelling cash north of the border for months (a year) so we , as an independent nation will have a responsibility to repay in full our part of the debt

wont matter to the blue faced mongs , but it just adds to our defficit, and likely to make even more problems getting back into the EU
Might as well move to Greece if that happens , we're going to have the same financial problems , they at least have decent weather in the summer

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

F2556-Honey-Mustard-180g.jpg

Is rather tasty

I believe Boris has alrady stated that he will not

I fervently support the right to self determination to all people, anywhere. But Scotland has already had its once in a generation vote. Those who voted to stay in the Union were made a promise, a one shot deal.
Scotland made its mind up and it's settled.

Will that change in the future? Maybe, I hope not but as I said I do support the right to self determination.
Boris can give his assent to another Scottish independence vote and hold the SNP to their word by simply stating in parliament that the next Scottish independence vote will be on an exact date 30 years in the future.

What I want to know is , IF, Scotland voted for independence , who is going to pay back the billions of pounds the UK has incurred in debt to see us through this pandemic
UK gov have been shovelling cash north of the border for months (a year) so we , as an independent nation will have a responsibility to repay in full our part of the debt

wont matter to the blue faced mongs ,
but it just adds to our defficit, and likely to make even more problems getting back into the EU
Might as well move to Greece if that happens , we're going to have the same financial problems , they at least have decent weather in the summer
@flieslikeabeagle

You have raised an excellent point there.

I have a wide circle of what I'd describe as friends, ranging from brickies and landscape gardeners to surgeons, airline and North Sea helicopter pilots, and a retired Army 2*.

Nationalists exist across that cohort, and there's many things that bind them together:
  • Levels of economic illiteracy that would be shocking if they weren't so laughable.
  • Incoherent and naively optimistic (if I may be kind) outlook towards Defence. The same tired old mantras of "joint Services HQ at Faslane, fine Scottish Regiments, UN peacekeeping" etc etc etc.
    • One bloke, a retired SO1 with an OBE (a prizewinner at ACSC as well) vehemently maintains that we'd resource a military the size and capability of that of the nation of Denmark out of the receipts we'd get from renting out Lossiemouth and Faslane, I s**t you not. Therefore, iScot Defence comes free.
  • A common inability to understand / comprehend / tolerate any worldview that differs from their own. There's an unwritten mentality that if someone disagrees with the cult view, then the steps to be followed are mock>indignant comments >get personal>get angry>storm off. All of which backed up by a gradually increasing, but palpable, sense of violence never being far away.
  • Edited to add - the absolute catch all for anything they don't understand / can't logically argue / have been defeated by: MI5. By all accounts, MI5 are responsible for every anti-Nationalist event that has ever occurred. Indy Ref 2014 was spiked by MI5, Salmond's charges were trumped up by MI5, the current Sturgeon situation is engineered by MI5. One bloke even suggested that George Galloway is in the pay of MI5, that's why he's issuing anti-SNP tweets.
I've gradually come to the conclusion that iScotland is no place for me, and in the event of a "successful" referendum then I will be investigating heading elsewhere. If @Ravers fancies a farm labourer, send me a PM!!!

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
You sound like a soft, weak holland(aise) man
Boring dit

Feel free to skip over it...

Donkeys years ago I attended the Navy Staff Course. Every so often the then 3 staff colleges joined for "tri service" periods" During one of these we attended Camberley, but were accommodated in the Queens Hotel, Farnborough. One of the keynote speakers was the Defence Secretary who proceeded to announce wholesale changed to defence ( the cold war had just finished) and to everyone in the audience it was pretty poorly argued.

A fellow Army bod on the Navy course took exception to his glib style and took to his feet during the questions session. Normally he would not have said boo to a goose, but on this occasion he let fly with a withering salvo of well observed and brilliantly argued points all of which collectively ripped the Minister a second one. He pulled no punches, and the Minister knew that he had been seen off big time.

The place erupted into applause and the by now savaged minister sputtered a few platitudes before buggering off.

Later that night we were having dinner in the hotel when all of a sudden a voice piped up, summoning a waitress.

"This hollandaise sauce is rubbish" the hero of the moment from earlier in the day declared, he then demanded that it be taken back to the Chef who was then to do his fcuking job and make the sauce properly.

The waitress stood stunned

"And if you think that was rude" piped up one of the dark blue "you should have heard him rip the Secretary of State for defence a second arrsehole earlier"

Needless to say bar profits in the Queens hotel were greatly swelled over those few days.

The fact that a third of voters want Sturgeon to stay even if found guilty is probably the most damning statement about the Scottish voter!

Still, it may be difficult to carry out the duties of First Minister from HMP Edinburgh. I think she would go in the female wing, but not certain.
HMP Corton Vale would be closer to Bridge of Allan - handy for visitors ;):D......

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have we mentioned this yet?

fruit-pudding-slices-1.jpg

Latest Threads