Scottish Politics Thread

The Campbell MacDonald feud never really went away
Details are hazy now, but about thirty years ago I remember talking to a strikingly pretty Army captain called Campbell. She told me that she’d once been a guest at a (shooting?) weekend party in some grand country house in Scotland, taken there by her then boyfriend. The hosts, it turned out, were MacDonalds, and the chatelaine, upon discovering her surname, asked her to leave next morning. It was all done as civilly as possible, and the lady earnestly regretted the embarrassment caused to an innocent guest, but she explained that she simply could not tolerate the presence of a Campbell under her roof, a family tradition that she would respect at all costs. This would have been no earlier than the 1980s.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Latest Ipsos Mori polling, released yesterday.
  • 52% say they are likely to vote for the SNP in the constituency vote, while 23% will vote for the Scottish Conservatives and 15% for Scottish Labour;
  • 52% would vote Yes in an independence referendum, slipping slightly from 56% in November - while 48% would vote No;
  • Scottish independence is seen as the most important issue in helping people decide which party to vote for (44%), followed by education (32%), healthcare/ NHS (25%) and coronavirus (20%).
  • Over a third of Scots (36%) say the Holyrood inquiry into the Scottish Government’s handling of the accusations against Alex Salmond has made them less favourable towards the SNP, although most (58%) say it has made no difference to their view of the party

oldbaldy

LE
A few years back when the new Glencoe visitor centre opened the first manager was an Englishman called Campbell, I don’t know what upset the locals more, the name or the nationality.
The Clachaig Inn in Glencoe has a sign at reception: No Hawkers or Campbells

Latest Ipsos Mori polling, released yesterday.
  • 52% say they are likely to vote for the SNP in the constituency vote, while 23% will vote for the Scottish Conservatives and 15% for Scottish Labour;
  • 52% would vote Yes in an independence referendum, slipping slightly from 56% in November - while 48% would vote No;
  • Scottish independence is seen as the most important issue in helping people decide which party to vote for (44%), followed by education (32%), healthcare/ NHS (25%) and coronavirus (20%).
  • Over a third of Scots (36%) say the Holyrood inquiry into the Scottish Government’s handling of the accusations against Alex Salmond has made them less favourable towards the SNP, although most (58%) say it has made no difference to their view of the party
The SNP trend has been on a very shallow dip for the past month across the poll of polls, but this is the first significant dint(3 points, from Ipso/Mori originally having them on 55%).

I wouldn't at all be surprised that the SNP share of the vote drops to something like 46-48% come election day. Sturgeon and her clans for the first time have some serious questions to answer themselves, rather than water cooled belt fed abuse at the torrrrrrrrrrrrrrries all the time.

1614327863897.png

The Herald has went full SNatz

Dredd

LE
There's plenty evidence on social media of nats saying ignore it, get independence and sort it after. That is country over party.

I would suggest that there is a 3rd aspect to add to country and party and that is Ego.

Salmond and his acolytes want to be the ones to deliver Scotland to its future.

And that is the best argument to NOT vote for independence. So let them keep on saying it.

In the meantime, the practice session with the YesNP has been an excellent insight into how well they would likely run it if they had the chance and it becomes clearer that we have been saved by our Union or the effects could be much, much worse.

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
Prior to the 2014 referendum I went to a meeting in the village hall held by the 'Yes' side. The top table consisted of Riddoch, a Professor of History whose name escapes me and Mike Russell MSP. I went with an open mind to hear their side of the argument and each set out their vision, but I quickly noted she came over as a spiteful, bitter woman, something which has been confirmed on the odd occasion I find her ramblings in print.

And that is the best argument to NOT vote for independence. So let them keep on saying it.

In the meantime, the practice session with the YesNP has been an excellent insight into how well they would likely run it if they had the chance and it becomes clearer that we have been saved by our Union or the effects could be much, MUCH, much worse.
FOC, no need to thank me etc

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Luckily I've never bought the Herald and never will. That Jane Godley creature is vile. Mouth like a sewer and very quick to point the Cult at any targets she thinks deserves abuse, but pulls the "I'm being bullied" card when she gets it back.
I posted her first column a few days ago, but it's behind a firewall. Pure Barry White. "Whas like us" anti-Royal, anti-Tory bilge and about as humorous as a fire in an orphanage. If the charity shops were open her Xmas book that was piled next to the tills in Waterstones would now be piled next to the granny slippers in Oxfam.

Can I assume that anyone who does not vote the 'correct' way at THE election, will have to wear a UJ patch on their clothes/ tattooed on their forehead so the 'chosen ones' can pick them out in crowds, and spout more frothy rabid cr4p in their faces etc? As in we wun, we wun,, ehh but, now what do we do to save us 'from the road to hell?

Also, did I not read somewhere that no other footie team will play the SNP MSP team, as when the opposition comes close to scoring....... they move the 'gaelposts'! Mind you little Fatty would make a good keeper perhaps?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For those who want to see it.
Salmond being questioned by the Holyrood Committee on the Scottish Government Handling of Harassment Complaints is on today at 12.30 - scottishparliament.tv

Latest Threads