Scottish Politics Thread

I said awhile ago, that I felt the SNP had politicially peaked too early.. The first poll in a fortnight has been released and from week ending the 21st Feb(Ipso Mori): The SNP are down 3 points to 52%..

Whilst I appreciate many people don't like polling, its a nice way to determine the trend of something and clearly the SNP are now politically a negative trend. If the election was next week, nobody would care buts it suggest the anti-Boris trend that the SNP have ridden since January 2019 has ended and a gradual decline seems highly likely.

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt
I said awhile ago, that I felt the SNP had politicially peaked too early.. The first poll in a fortnight has been released and from week ending the 21st Feb(Ipso Mori): The SNP are down 3 points to 52%..

Whilst I appreciate many people don't like polling, its a nice way to determine the trend of something and clearly the SNP are now politically a negative trend. If the election was next week, nobody would care buts it suggest the anti-Boris trend that the SNP have ridden since January 2019 has ended and a gradual decline seems highly likely.
It's heading in the right direction - from where I am standing - but Boris will undoubtedly f*** up again and it will head back the other way. So far he has been the best ally the Nats could have.

His new Union unit in No10 really need to start to put out more positive messages in words that the average jock can understand rather than all the negatives that have been puked out by them in the past in words most people need to look up.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's heading in the right direction - from where I am standing - but Boris will undoubtedly f*** up again and it will head back the other way. So far he has been the best ally the Nats could have.

His new Union unit in No10 really need to start to put out more positive messages in words that the average jock can understand rather than all the negatives that have been puked out by them in the past in words most people need to look up.

According to Alistair Jack this morning on Radio Scotland the Union unit is no more.
Upgraded to a Ministerial Committee.
But not been able to find a link on line

1614261966201.png

1614262506527.png

1614262138136.png

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think you will find they prefer country before party. Particular a party that has presided over so much failure while claiming success.

There's plenty evidence on social media of nats saying ignore it, get independence and sort it after. That is country over party.

I would suggest that there is a 3rd aspect to add to country and party and that is Ego.

Salmond and his acolytes want to be the ones to deliver Scotland to its future.

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt
I think you will find they prefer country before party. Particular a party that has presided over so much failure while claiming success.
That is however the key to getting votes - clam success even if it is failure - and unless they are challenged by the press or the opposition parties everyone continues to believe that it is a success..... Fantastic political game playing as the opposition is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard

Old and Grumpy

Old-Salt
There's plenty evidence on social media of nats saying ignore it, get independence and sort it after. That is country over party.

I would suggest that there is a 3rd aspect to add to country and party and that is Ego.

I think NS wants to go down in history as the one who broke up the union much more than Salmond does. She makes it clear and has stated many times that she is a "conviction politician". Sounds awfully like another diminutive politicians rhetoric in the 1930s....

I am at a loss to highlight any genuine successes that Sturgeon, or the SNP have had for Scotland, except irritate english people to the point, that a sizable minority would vote to get rid of scotland. One assumes the new union unit will be more pro-active in creating the conditions, to show up the contrast between a successful england and failing scotland.

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
Trouble is, what happens when Sturgeon goes? Chances are it'll be someone on the Braveheart side of the party to mobilise the extremists who are just waiting to follow whoever promises 'Independence now!', but going by the content of The Destroyers above, they'll need to have very deep pockets indeed because, as it makes clear, these campaigns don't fund themselves.

Lardboy possibly, or Cherry, of whom I don't know much, or Salmond riding (pun not intended) on the crest of a wave?

Personally I find one of the more distasteful elements of the current mess is that it leaves me feeling like I have an implied support for Salmond.
I don't, he's a five star tosser.

It would be easy to appear to support him unintentionally

HCL

LE

That's how civil wars start.

No one on politics could be described as a shrinking violet, Shirley?

Personally I find one of the more distasteful elements of the current mess is that it leaves me feeling like I have an implied support for Salmond.
I don't, he's a five star tosser.

It would be easy to appear to support him unintentionally
The American Sensible/Trump Paradox.

Trouble is, what happens when Sturgeon goes? Chances are it'll be someone on the Braveheart side of the party to mobilise the extremists who are just waiting to follow whoever promises 'Independence now!', but going by the content of The Destroyers above, they'll need to have very deep pockets indeed because, as it makes clear, these campaigns don't fund themselves.

Lardboy possibly, or Cherry, of whom I don't know much, or Salmond riding (pun not intended) on the crest of a wave?
Blackpudding is a Sturgeonite, I think we would see more of the true independentisters. If you have time read about CWG and their growing influence:

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
Blackpudding is a Sturgeonite, I think we would see more of the true independentisters. If you have time read about CWG and their growing influence:

That's interesting and confirms my thinking. Blurring threads, I wonder how much this strays into 'Grey Area' territory and potential funding from external sources for CWG?

Latest Threads