Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Watched the Charles Kennedy documentary on Alba. Rather bland and uninspiring, I thought. His career, his drink problem, then a few minutes of “people were mean online” with no further embellishments. Hardly investigative.
Same... more than a little disappointing, particularly as I typically only watch a couple of hours TV per month and generally look forward to whatever has piqued my interest.

Last edited:
And one of the care homes I vaccinated on Friday was a facility for adults with learning disabilities.

We could not go earlier because of a covid outbreak.

8 of them died.

So @Werewolf you can shove your disagree up your arse

And no doubt the cure for cancer died with them.

Take your empathy and compassion and insert them forcefully into the orifice of your own choosing. Sans lubricant.

Have a nice day.

Watched the Charles Kennedy documentary on Alba. Rather bland and uninspiring, I thought. His career, his drink problem, then a few minutes of “people were mean online” with no further embellishments. Hardly investigative.
I can understand your comment, it had a lot of Highland or Scottish stuff which meant quite a lot to me but hardly universal, and not much about the wicked campaign against him by some folk in the 2015 election which (as stated in the programme) he was probably going to lose anyway. I may return to this tomorrow. I think the programme is going to be repeated on Sunday.

DSJ

LE
I can understand your comment, it had a lot of Highland or Scottish stuff which meant quite a lot to me but hardly universal, and not much about the wicked campaign against him by some folk in the 2015 election which (as stated in the programme) he was probably going to lose anyway. I may return to this tomorrow. I think the programme is going to be repeated on Sunday.

What disappointed me was the fact that they glossed over, for the most part, just how vile and personal the attacks were.

Irrespective of agreeing with his political leanings or not, he was an admirable man who deserved to be treated far better. I think the documentary missed a trick.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
FB_IMG_1614144757798.jpg

Any takers?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What disappointed me was the fact that they glossed over, for the most part, just how vile and personal the attacks were.

Irrespective of agreeing with his political leanings or not, he was an admirable man who deserved to be treated far better. I think the documentary missed a trick.
Apologies for the long quotes.

"Brian Wilson, a journalist and former Labour MP, said: “He had someone full-time deleting the abuse towards him on social media.
“Charlie was grieving the death of his parents, the loss of his best friend, and trying to hold a family together. Nobody could have been well equipped to deal with that. It was beyond belief the things that were being said and done.
What Charles was subjected to had nothing to do with his politics, had no respect for what he’d done in politics or in public life, and had no respect for his personal circumstances. It was naked abuse and denigration of the worst kind. I think what was done to him was cruel beyond words.” "

"His close friend and former brother-in-law James Gurling reveals that Charles had anonymous very aggressive notes left on his car and put through his letterbox.
He said: “The level of anger and vociferous nature of the campaign surprised and really worried him. You begin to wonder what’s in those people’s minds that they think that is an appropriate way of doing things.
“All politicians get shouted down in meetings and get called all sorts but generally speaking that’s in a public view that the community can judge is fair or not. This was something quite different.” "

Polyester

War Hero
I would echo what @hackle has pointed out about the Scottish and highland element holding its appeal for a lot of us but I also felt that the programme didn't go far enough into the 2015 campaign and the effects of the campaign against him. I thought for a horrible moment that the programme creator was going to focus purely on the alcohol issue and cast aside all the great things about the man. Thankfully it was a bit more balanced than that.

Changed nothing for me in any event. I think he was a great bloke.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Unfortunate juxtaposition on the BBC

20210224_071201.jpg

Apologies for the long quotes.

"Brian Wilson, a journalist and former Labour MP, said: “He had someone full-time deleting the abuse towards him on social media.
“Charlie was grieving the death of his parents, the loss of his best friend, and trying to hold a family together. Nobody could have been well equipped to deal with that. It was beyond belief the things that were being said and done.
What Charles was subjected to had nothing to do with his politics, had no respect for what he’d done in politics or in public life, and had no respect for his personal circumstances. It was naked abuse and denigration of the worst kind. I think what was done to him was cruel beyond words.” "

"His close friend and former brother-in-law James Gurling reveals that Charles had anonymous very aggressive notes left on his car and put through his letterbox.
He said: “The level of anger and vociferous nature of the campaign surprised and really worried him. You begin to wonder what’s in those people’s minds that they think that is an appropriate way of doing things.
“All politicians get shouted down in meetings and get called all sorts but generally speaking that’s in a public view that the community can judge is fair or not. This was something quite different.” "

People who are ideogically possessed, are capable of anything. Because the persons own identity becomes wrapped up in the campaign and so Kennedy and anyone else, who is felt to be attacking that persons identity is in danger.

If you were on Boris or Salmond's security detail, a visit to Scotland these days is a walk on the wild side, because your can't be sure that some lone nut hasn't took the braveheart stuff one step too far.

With all restrictions hopefully ending in England on June 21st. How can Nicola :pukel: make them more Scottishy? :-D

She'll lift all Scottish restrictions on 24th of June - the second and final day of the the Battle of Bannockburn - to celebrate the SNP's heroic victory over the Evil English Virus. There will be outdoor screenings of Braveheart in all city centres. Attendance will be mandatory, but free Irn Bru, Buckfast and Deep-Fried Haggis will be provided.

Show Parade at 1900 for asking such a rookie question, young man. ;)

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You would have thought that printing that in Gaelic would have been better.
Pretty much all Gaelic speakers speak English.

However there are those who do not speak Gaelic who would like to sing it.

Look at the success of bands like Capercallie and Runrig

She'll lift all Scottish restrictions on 24th of June - the second and final day of the the Battle of Bannockburn - to celebrate the SNP's heroic victory over the Evil English Virus. There will be outdoor screenings of Braveheart in all city centres. Attendance will be mandatory, but free Irn Bru, Buckfast and Deep-Fried Haggis will be provided.

Show Parade at 1900 for asking such an obvious question, young man. ;)

why would they be serving English tonic wine?

Truxx

LE

So successful I have never heard of them. But then I do live 50 miles south of the border.

Oh and you need to get your wah shield looked at. I think It might be overdue its PRE

oldbaldy

LE

When I joined the army back in the 60s the lad in next bedspace was from South Uist, told me he didn't learn English till he went to school & his grandmother couldn't speak English. Going further back I have distance cousins who were transported for sheep stealing, near Greenock, the court documents are a hoot as they were all non English speakers, coming from Jura, so a Gaelic speaking plod had to translate their statements.
How things change.