Scottish Politics Thread

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting. I thought the revolution was a wholly Russian affair and thus the 1919 end date is given because those who died in mine-clearance and ordnance disposal mishaps and the like were counted as war casualties, thus effectively extending the period deemed to be war service into that fifth year.

The scuttling of the German High Sea Fleet in Scapa Flow was 21st June 1919.
Information was being deliberately with held from the Germans. They knew that the peace treaty was due to be signed and suspected that part of the deal would involve the surrender and handing over the vessels.
As such Admiral Von Reuter decided on his own accord that scuttling would be preferable to surrender.

Obviously we responded very well and machine gunned unarmed German sailors in their life boats.

9 killed and 16 wounded.

Scotland is well on the way to becoming a tartan-clad version of Albania.
I drove through parts of Albania during Op Agricola. The roads were mostly piss-poor (sometimes disappearing altogether into fields), but at least they were open. I’ve lost count of the road closures I’ve encountered in southern Scotland in recent years.

Union Jack

Old-Salt
That, or recognition that the war did not formally end until the signing at Versailles, in June 1919. You could even (really) stretch a point and claim that the UK was still technically at war with Germany till January 1920 and with Turkey till August 1924.
During the Baltic Campaign in th summer of 1919, no fewer than three Victoria Crosses were won by the Royal Navy in Coastal Motor Boat actions as well as seven DSOs, three bars to the DSO, nine DSCs, and several other decorations for gallantry.

Jack

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
I drove through parts of Albania during Op Agricola. The roads were mostly piss-poor (sometimes disappearing altogether into fields), but at least they were open. I’ve lost count of the road closures I’ve encountered in southern Scotland in recent years.
Not just southern Scotland. The A83 at the Rest and be Thankful stands out as being the biggest transportation disaster for quite a number of years with no permanent solution in sight. The SNP seem quite oblivious to the major problems despite all sorts of pressure being brought to bear, but that would appear to be their modus operandi with everything these days. They've spent millions on 'chicken wire' catch fences, catch pits, Hesco Bastion baskets, resurfacing the Old Military Road and are now going to plant the slopes with trees.

Not just southern Scotland. The A83 at the Rest and be Thankful stands out as being the biggest transportation disaster for quite a number of years with no permanent solution in sight. The SNP seem quite oblivious to the major problems despite all sorts of pressure being brought to bear, but that would appear to be their modus operandi with everything these days. They've spent millions on 'chicken wire' catch fences, catch pits, Hesco Bastion baskets, resurfacing the Old Military Road and are now going to plant the slopes with trees.
The problem is that its not in the central belt. If it was then money wouldn't be a problem.

and its only specific places in the central belt where the cult live in large numbers - normally the high poverty areas with the highest benefit dependency
In my experience of these areas, the general population are at best indifferent to the EU and mostly ignorant of it. They would be better served by a Scottish government who did not waste time and money on a flag waving excercise purely designed to create yet more division.
Having said that, if the whole EU flag con is sold to them as an anti English policy, they would mostly be all for it!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I hope Councils not run by the perfidious GNats will do the complete opposite and fly the UJ, including on Remembrance Day.

4(T)

LE
The scuttling of the German High Sea Fleet in Scapa Flow was 21st June 1919.
Information was being deliberately with held from the Germans. They knew that the peace treaty was due to be signed and suspected that part of the deal would involve the surrender and handing over the vessels.
As such Admiral Von Reuter decided on his own accord that scuttling would be preferable to surrender.

Obviously we responded very well and machine gunned unarmed German sailors in their life boats.

9 killed and 16 wounded.

The scuttling was a de facto resumption of hostilities under the terms of the Armistice. If slotting one of the scuttling parties deterred the other crews and thereby averted a potential restart of WW1, then so be it. If the scuttling hadn't been synchronised and a fait accompli achieved, then the other ships would likely have been boarded and the crews shot out of hand. It was a very grave situation.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Care home vaccine programme on hold till next week due to a lack of vaccine.
We are still well on track to complete 2nd doses within the 12 week guidance period.

Care home vaccine programme on hold till next week due to a lack of vaccine.
We are still well on track to complete 2nd doses within the 12 week guidance period.
Could be worse, if we were still in the EU we would be really struggling to get them.

ETA we could of course get the stuff that is going to France and Germany as they are not using theirs

Latest Threads