Scottish Politics Thread

The waters are muddied by the principle that 'operational' decisions are reserved to the Chief Constable. The overt arming of officers, for example, could be construed as an operational decision, and within his right to implement, however, it was pretty naive, in my opinion, to start sending openly armed officers to routine incidents and not expect some sort of public reaction. The problem is that his management style is to offload those who he either thinks aren't up to it or who have challenged his views. That has left a command team loaded with either yes men (and women) or those too weak willed to speak up. In the past, national policing policy would be agreed by ACPO(Scotland) where each of the eight Chief Constables could offer an equal opinion and agree on national policy. Not now. What Steve says, goes. What must now happen is that he Scottish Parliament, via the justice committee, or by creation of a policing committee, be empowered to hold the Chief Constable to account on matters of policy. The problem of course, is how you square that with the operational independence of the Police.
So as it stands House is his own Boss?

Well, the Scottish Police Authority is supposed to exercise oversight, but I've seen little sign of that in the past couple of years. I'd rather see House in front of a parliamentary committee, on TV. I think the Home Affairs Select Committee has shown the way in holding public officials to account, albeit we can do without Keith Vaz, thanks.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, the Scottish Police Authority is supposed to exercise oversight, but I've seen little sign of that in the past couple of years. I'd rather see House in front of a parliamentary committee, on TV. I think the Home Affairs Select Committee has shown the way in holding public officials to account, albeit we can do without Keith Vaz, thanks.
Sorry stooriefit, but I have to agree with gizmo. You more or less agreed with him, but stuck in a couple of caveats. House sees himself as top dog with no body to rein him in and is acting on that power vacuum.

Sorry stooriefit, but I have to agree with gizmo. You more or less agreed with him, but stuck in a couple of caveats. House sees himself as top dog with no body to rein him in and is acting on that power vacuum.
I agree. The SPA is supposed to provide oversight, but the controversies over arming and stop and search show that it's toothless. House has just gone ahead on the basis that these are operational decisions and nothing to do with anyone else. As I say, I'd like to see him getting a grilling from a select committee of MSPs and justifying his decisions in public. His placeman, ACC Mawson, who he brought up from England, was grilled a few months ago in front of the Justice Committee and admitted that consensual stop and search of children was wrong, promising that it would cease. That it hasn't, should result in House being hauled in front of the same committee and his feet held to the fire.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Now we have dealt with the Scottish police, it is time to discuss the real matters affecting Scotland.

Nicola Sturgeon dictating to Westminster, letting them know that post GE she will be the person to come to - but it will cost.

But apart from that, will Rangers survive the season or will they go bust, again!

Now we have dealt with the Scottish police, it is time to discuss the real matters affecting Scotland.

Nicola Sturgeon dictating to Westminster, letting them know that post GE she will be the person to come to - but it will cost.

But apart from that, will Rangers survive the season or will they go bust, again!
Do we care what happens to a bunch of wendyballers? Rangers going bust, again, might be a good thing as some of those who claim they support them might lift their hand up high enough to stop them dragging behind them.

(You might have guessed that I am no fan of what the misty-eyed call "The Beautiful Game")

And, in one way, I hope the SNP don't make the inroads into the Labour vote in Scotland. After all the egomaniacal squealing from the SNP, it would be such a pleasure to see them stuck in a corner of the HoC with all of the rest of the UK minority parties, unable to do anything apart from the political equivalent of shouting at pigeons.

Salmond being told to go forth, etc, by the electorate would be the icing on the cake

What's £180bn between friends? :cool:
Apparently a perfectly legit arrangement of income and tax if it involves a certain Bank, a certain Political party and certain party donors, allegedly :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And, in one way, I hope the SNP don't make the inroads into the Labour vote in Scotland. After all the egomaniacal squealing from the SNP, it would be such a pleasure to see them stuck in a corner of the HoC with all of the rest of the UK minority parties, unable to do anything apart from the political equivalent of shouting at pigeons.

Salmond being told to go forth, etc, by the electorate would be the icing on the cake
Personally I'm looking forward to the schadenfreude of seeing the likes of Douglas and Danny Alexander losing their seats.

Do we care what happens to a bunch of wendyballers? Rangers going bust, again, might be a good thing as some of those who claim they support them might lift their hand up high enough to stop them dragging behind them.

(You might have guessed that I am no fan of what the misty-eyed call "The Beautiful Game")

You might be right, though Scotland being told to go forth, etc, by Westminster would more likely be the icing on the cake. I'm sure you can see how that might pan out with the electorate as well, better still shout it from the rooftops before the election :)

Personally I'm looking forward to the schadenfreude of seeing the likes of Douglas and Danny Alexander losing their seats.
There is that too. I'm sure we can all think of a few politicians that we would be very happy to see having their smug grins wiped off their faces

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd like to make a sensible contribution and comment on the media coverage of Sturgeon, the £180Bn spend of money we don't have and the stinking hypocrisy of her approach. Alas, I cannot remain calm as the demon witch makes my blood boil more than any politician I can remember including Bliar, Prescott and the rest of the Labour Party that broke the country - both financially and by pandering to nationalist sentiment....

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

1. And who is going to pay for it?
2. Who really cares?

Still look on the bright side, with the implementation of named folk looking after kids, who they have asked the kids to tell what their parents drinking habits etc are. There was me thinking the Stasi had been disbanded in Eastern Germany only to have moved to Scotland

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Personally I'm looking forward to the schadenfreude of seeing a whole bunch of Labour MPs losing their seats and wiping the smug Labour-runs-Scotland grins from their faces!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
1. And who is going to pay for it?
2. Who really cares?

Still look on the bright side, with the implementation of named folk looking after kids, who they have asked the kids to tell what their parents drinking habits etc are. There was me thinking the Stasi had been disbanded in Eastern Germany only to have moved to Scotland
The named person as under GIRFEC has been a huge success up here in Highland where it has been piloted. It makes things far easier in terms of Child Protection, I say this as somebody involved in several different ways.

Am not sure where you're getting the kids reporting parents drinking from, but not anything I've experienced.

The named person as under GIRFEC has been a huge success up here in Highland where it has been piloted. It makes things far easier in terms of Child Protection, I say this as somebody involved in several different ways.

Am not sure where you're getting the kids reporting parents drinking from, but not anything I've experienced.
Got it from a lady friends daughter last night, who's kids came home from school and told their mum what they did at school, as they do, and the question was asked of all the kids in the class.

Personally I'm looking forward to the schadenfreude of seeing a whole bunch of Labour MPs losing their seats and wiping the smug Labour-runs-Scotland grins from their faces!
I'm looking forward to inventing a time machine, going back to September last year and trying to convince the Scots to vote Yes for independence.

I'm looking forward to inventing a time machine, going back to September last year and trying to convince the Scots to vote Yes for independence.
Best rewind that chrono dial to just before Sir David sold RFC for a quid. The Yes vote is still a hot tattie

Latest Threads