Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Okay. Let's give it a go. The best stock-picking company in the world (Baillie Gifford) seem to thrive in Edinburgh without any cultural cringe. SLI are doing a fair bit on the small companies front. We have unrivalled tidal energy. We have an astonishing level of natural resources. The food and drink sector is unmatched.

Why don't you now explain to me why our country is shit? Probably best if you cringe whilst doing so.
It’s not sh*t. It’s the politicians in Holyrood who are sh*t.

We have unrivalled tidal energy potential. As do other country’s with a coastline. But if your member last time Salmond was claiming that rUK would have to fund it on our behalf and then by the end product off is . I.e give us free cash(You also seem to have forgotten about the other tidal power initiatives such as the one in the Bristol Channel.

When you talk about our food and drink sector. Is this the did and drink sector that’s levied a 15% import tax in America because of the EUs subsidies to Airbus?

But thanks for once again pushing the SNPs agricultural based future.

For some reason nationalists always seem to have a hard on for tilling the land. It was the same in Germany in the 30s with their love of blood and soil.

Sorry to break it to you @Sixty. Most of the Scottish workforce don’t work in agriculture. Those that do will be seeing the unnecessary bullsh*t that the EU promotes in order or protect French farmers and wouldn’t what that reciprocated with what would be our largest potential export market which is currently a ‘domestic market.’

Spartak1st

Old-Salt

Attachments

• C7850603-DDBF-4FF5-B3B8-C0A481A0FEEB.jpeg
    C7850603-DDBF-4FF5-B3B8-C0A481A0FEEB.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
Kilts, bagpipes and curling stones?
I was thinking more of the service sector. Ever so reliant on have the Bank of England as the lender of last resort.

Of course, we could go down the SNPs argument of ‘we can use what ever currency we want to’ again. But it’s somewhat difficult to sell the idea of independence when the independence you’re selling consists of trying to subvert yourself to an unelected bureaucracy in Brussels and having no say over your economy because it’s controlled by another country’s central bank which you’ve decided to longer be a part of.

I’m looking forward to the new lines now. We can use Bitcoin.

I’m happy where we are thank you. I gave my answer in the last ‘once in a generation referendum.’ I acknowledged the result.

Please do carry on with your day jobs and stop promoting another couple of years of uncertainty to the Scottish economy. We’ve had enough.

Okay. Let's give it a go. The best stock-picking company in the world (Baillie Gifford) seem to thrive in Edinburgh without any cultural cringe. SLI are doing a fair bit on the small companies front. We have unrivalled tidal energy. We have an astonishing level of natural resources. The food and drink sector is unmatched.

1. Would Baillie Gifford thrive in an Independent Scotland is really the question that you should be asking yourself - Or would they relocate to London along with the rest of the big boys of that particular genre ?

2. SLI are doing a fair bit - In comparison to what ?

3. Would inward investment flow in to tap into that unrivalled tidal energy in an Independent Scotland ?

4. For all those astonishing natural resources that you espouse, Scotland is currently ( and has been for years ) running a deficit of £ Billions - How can this be ?

5. The food and drinks sector is nowhere near enough to hang your hat on.

Anyway - Since you are on a roll, and apparently wish to engage in serious discussion / debate.

How about an answer to my question from yesterday ?

Q. Can you explain how jumping out of one Union ( Westminster Grrrr ) straight into another Union* ( Brussels Grrrr ) equates to Independence ?

* Ignoring the issue of whether Scotland would / would not be allowed to join the EU.

Why don't you now explain to me why our country is shit? Probably best if you cringe whilst doing so.

I'm beginning to see your major malfunction.

1. You believe that a vote for the SNP in a National Election equates to a vote for Independence.

2. It appears ( judging by your comment above ) that you believe anyone who does not wish to vote for Independence thinks that Scotland is shit.

Allow me to let a little bit of enlightenment into your life.

1. It is entirely feasible to believe in an Independent Scotland - That means being Independent and not jumping into bed with the EU.

2. I will vote for Independence - When someone comes along with an honest, open, realistic and achievable plan for going forward as an Independent Country.

As an example.

The SNP's whole mantra in my lifetime has been Independence.

Have they got around to writing this yet ?

The right to a free education could be enshrined in the written constitution of an independent Scotland, First Minister Alex Salmond has said.

Dreaming of Independence for over 70 years and still not produced a written constitution yet. That the SNP cannot write a constitution in 70 years does not bode well for an Independent Scotland.

That written Constitution would / should be Front & Centre of any Independence Campaign and shouted Loudly & Proudly.

Yet all I hear is white noise ( to drown out / stifle debate ) or the sound of silence when they haven't got a scoobie.

methilman

War Hero
At the risk of being slated for not reading through nigh on 3000 pages of this thread, I am one proud Scotsman who is absolutely sick of seeing people being taken in by Kim Jong Sturgeon and her cronies. In a time that demands unity and strength they have done their best to create division and hatred in pursuit of their republican agenda. IF they are successful and we do become independent there will be lots of disappointed people when the taxes are hiked up no end and the promised land is a bit different to the dream portrayed by Nippy and her gang.

I'm beginning to see your major malfunction.

1. You believe that a vote for the SNP in a National Election equates to a vote for Independence.

2. It appears ( judging by your comment above ) that you believe anyone who does not wish to vote for Independence thinks that Scotland is shit.

Allow me to let a little bit of enlightenment into your life.

1. It is entirely feasible to believe in an Independent Scotland - That means being Independent and not jumping into bed with the EU.

2. I will vote for Independence - When someone comes along with an honest, open, realistic and achievable plan for going forward as an Independent Country.

As an example.

The SNP's whole mantra in my lifetime has been Independence.

Have they got around to writing this yet ?

Dreaming of Independence for over 70 years and still not produced a written constitution yet. That the SNP cannot write a constitution in 70 years does not bode well for an Independent Scotland.

That written Constitution would / should be Front & Centre of any Independence Campaign and shouted Loudly & Proudly.

Yet all I hear is white noise ( to drown out / stifle debate ) or the sound of silence when they haven't got a scoobie.
Well put. I said at the time of the first one, all the SNP had to do to get my vote was convince me that my life and the life of my family would be better in an independent Scotland. They failed to do so and the antics of them and their more dogmatic supporters (as so aptly demonstrated by one of the resident mods) continue to push me further away from them. I've never known this country to be so divided and bitter towards each other, the blame for which lies squarely with the SNP.

As things stand, I want nothing whatsoever to do with an independent Scotland, it's on the road to financial ruin and I can only see the anger and division getting worse, that's not somewhere I want my children growing up.

nothing will come of this but its good to put it on record and to let the public know this govt is a shambles

Can't see that going anywhere or achieving much other than driving some of the SNP supporters into a frothing rage.

Would that be the unrivalled tidal energy that would have been supported by machines from BiFab? You know? BiFab? That Fife based firm that was saved with public money, the one that produced wind and tidal turbines, that once saved with public money didn't get any business because all the business was given to other cheaper companies to build so had to close again?
So will the independent Scottish government re-open BiFab in iScotland, or give the business of this unrivalled tidal energy to firms outside iScotland again?
You come out with as much drivel as the SNP to be fair.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It is nice to start the morning with a bit of humour, and the SNP are good at supplying this. I like especially the claim of 'due diligance' :)

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. Every poll since last June points to a yes vote.

Probably best if you reconcile yourself with it now.
God I hope so.
Brexit and getting rid of the financial sheet anchor Scotland, in my lifetime is something to be celebrated.

Latest Threads