Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Being a Sunday Times reader, I have just churned my way through the supposed apocalyptic "Disunited Kingdom" polls that are all over the media and Disinfo Ops was bumping his gums about last night,(with Marr and Politics Scotland on in the background). One of the main points is "Nearly 1 in 3 want referendum in Wales". So that translates as more than two thirds of the Welsh electorate don't even want a referendum. Unionists still hold a lead in Northern Ireland by 47 percent to the 42 percent who want a United Ireland. And finally us...52 percent for independence and 48 against when the don't knows are taken out. As Glen Campbell pointed out a few minutes ago on the BBC, a 6 percent drop since November and the don't knows will always be the key when polls are so close. All a bit meh, only thing that matters is the morning of May the 8th.....

Fat POM

Old-Salt
Being a Sunday Times reader, I have just churned my way through the supposed apocalyptic "Disunited Kingdom" polls that are all over the media and Disinfo Ops was bumping his gums about last night,(with Marr and Politics Scotland on in the background). One of the main points is "Nearly 1 in 3 want referendum in Wales". So that translates as more than two thirds of the Welsh electorate don't even want a referendum. Unionists still hold a lead in Northern Ireland by 47 percent to the 42 percent who want a United Ireland. And finally us...52 percent for independence and 48 against when the don't knows are taken out. As Glen Campbell pointed out a few minutes ago on the BBC, a 6 percent drop since November and the don't knows will always be the key when polls are so close. All a bit meh, only thing that matters is the morning of May the 8th.....
Ditto. The financial aspect is revealing?

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Ditto. The financial aspect is revealing?
Yup, hidden away in the bottom left hand corner of the two page spread, "England's great river of cash keeps nations afloat" and yet again, the financial side of Scottish independence taken to the cleaners.

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
No chance! Temp/Acting/Unpaid but that is as far as it will go.
My bad, it would go to Keith Broon, Minister for Marching, as deputy. BTW he is held in extremely low regard by every serving bootneck and ex-bootneck I know who live and work in Scotland. An ex-Marine who is actively campaigning to remove 43 and 45 Commando from Scotland.

shellbackmac

Old-Salt

Chris Musson, political editor of the Scottish Sun, seems to be waging a one man campaign against the SNP's competence and honesty at the moment. No wonder he gets a scowl from Queen Nicola every time he asks her a question at the daily PPB and its why he has been subject to the usual on-line pile on's by the cyber crowd.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Chris Musson, political editor of the Scottish Sun, seems to be waging a one man campaign against the SNP's competence and honesty at the moment. No wonder he gets a scowl from Queen Nicola every time he asks her a question at the daily PPB and its why he has been subject to the usual on-line pile on's by the cyber crowd.
Shows he is on the mark? :)

So, according to a sneering Sturgeon this morning, on the eve of Burns's birthday, Johnson is a wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim’rous beastie who's showing he's "frightened of democracy" by refusing her interminable demands for IndyRef 2. Even if that were true, it would be far better than being openly contemptuous of it, as she and her fellow-Anglophobes have been since the 'OIAG' referendum of 2014, and emphatically so since the Brexit result. The Shinners aside, it's hard to think of a more unpleasant leading politician in the UK today. Post-Corbyn Labour can still field a few good runners-up (Lammy, Khan etc.), but there's something peculiarly spiteful and driven about this wee bundle of hate that sends a chill down the spine. In another time and place, Himmler might well have been happy to take her on the books.

Last edited:

Anyone else pick this up ? My personnel thoughts on this is that the Unionist parties take no part in this whatsoever. Not a thing. Completely ignore the referendum other than repeated questions in the media and Holyrood about who's paying for it and that's it.

Which should create a substantial reduction in turn out and invalidates the whole thing.

Last edited:

Fat POM

Old-Salt

Anyone else pick this up ? My personnel thoughts on this is that the Unionist parties take no part in this whatsoever. Not a thing. Completely ignore the referendum other than repeated questions in the media and Holyrood about who's paying for it and that's it.

Which should still a substantial reduction in turn out and invalidates the whole thing.
I have read recently that a referendum held under such circumstances, with unionists abstaining, would give about a 40% of the electorate registering a vote. Which does not a mandate give.

I will try to source the reference.

Which should still a substantial reduction in turn out and invalidates the whole thing.
2014 cost nearly £16m.

I have read recently that a referendum held under such circumstances, with unionists abstaining, would give about a 40% of the electorate registering a vote. Which does not a mandate give.

I will try to source the reference.

So if that figure hold true, and voting goes in a manner similar to that as expressed in the polls.

That would work out as somewhere around 20% of the total electorate supporting independence.

if those supporting independence vote at say 75% rather than an average 50% then that would be about 37.5% of the total electorate.

Someone in the SNP must be running the figures as anything less than 100% of any turn out of half or less of the electorate would be not good. Since the turn out in the 2014 referendum was 84.5% the figures get worse for the SNP as the margin for a unsanctioned independence referendum become thinner if the SNP want to avoid political disaster

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
So if that figure hold true, and voting goes in a manner similar to that as expressed in the polls.

That would work out as somewhere around 20% of the total electorate supporting independence.

if those supporting independence vote at say 75% rather than an average 50% then that would be about 37.5% of the total electorate.

Someone in the SNP must be running the figures as anything less than 100% of any turn out of half or less of the electorate would be not good. Since the turn out in the 2014 referendum was 84.5% the figures get worse for the SNP as the margin for a unsanctioned independence referendum become thinner if the SNP want to avoid political disaster
It will be interesting.... if they win a majority in Holyrood, there'll be no Section 30 in a month of Sundays, a Catalan style nationalist-run and Unionist boycotted referendum could then follow. As Marr asked Sturgeon this morning, has this plan B been forced on her by the NEC of the SNP being recently taken over by the "Indy at any cost" roasters? (My local MP being one of this group of RT/Sputnik loving headbangers)(See link below...) I'm sure that standing into danger and coming unstuck like the Catalonian nationalists have done was never in cautious Nicola's plan. (Every YES voter turned out in Catalonia 2017 but even so it was far less than half the electorate).

Last edited:
Well BoJo did, Nippy didn't, is that what you mean?...

Just askin'....

Or is that not what you meant?....

JB
The people are allowed to change their minds, that's how a democracy works. All they have to do is con the electorate once more. Wee Jimmy can argue that the Brexit deal is a substantive change in circumstances and this warrants a new referendum. Any refusal feeds the grievance train.

Once again, I'm a staunch Unionist. I don't want the Union to split but this needs much better politics than "You can't have another referendum and that's final"

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Not looking good for the Union. Really not a question of if but when they pull down their flag.

Mate, whatever became of these two?

Nicola.jpg

Last edited:

shellbackmac

Old-Salt

What a guy. From electrician at RNAD Beith to all round defence expert and now dictating to the UK Prime Minister that Scotland will become independent if 30 odd percent of the electorate vote SNP. Talk about rapid promotion!

Last edited:

homeworker

War Hero
Just had a look at St Nic’s (pbuh) interview with Andrew Marr. If the body language guys are to be believed then the high blink rate suggests that she is telling piggies to everyone.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just had a look at St Nic’s (pbuh) interview with Andrew Marr. If the body language guys are to be believed then the high blink rate suggests that she is telling piggies to everyone.
She had so much make up on it is surprising we could discern any emotion! Any more and her face would have been coming through the screen.

I watched Marr this morning specifically to see the Sturgeon interview (and I never watch Marr, he's a tit)

Sturgeon was very twitchy and lacked composure. She knows the 11 point roadmap is simply rubbish.
On top of that Scotgov is not performing very well in the vaccination game and she freely admitted that "her" government wasn't doing very well on drug deaths.
Then there was the bit about her telling porkies about the Salmond case.
She clearly didn't have a pleasant morning

After that she tried calling out Boris as a chicken for not agreeing to a referendum. It's all she has, bluff, bluster and lies.

Latest Threads