Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

This updated article gets better, the SNP are terrified of not being able to control the fact that U.K. government will be able to stamp their name on projects and infact will result in direct funding to local authorities undermining their total control but undoubtedly putting money where it is needed and often denied due to their party politics.

I’m sure all that clarity that Ms Forbes ‘requires’ will be that the SNP will no longer be able to claim all the ‘success stories’ and will have to put ‘Part of a U.K. Government Project’ on their fancy blue signs.

‘These were recently passed into law under the Internal Market Act, which was criticised for paving the way to bypass devolved administrations.
The Scotland Secretary, Alister Jack, previously hinted that much of the spending in Scotland could be through local authorities.
Along with city region growth deals, that gives the UK government the opportunity to flag up its commitment to projects of political value to it. However, it also creates a new area for friction with Holyrood, going into the spring election campaign.
The letter from Mr Barclay was in answer to a request from Ms Forbes for a Scottish share of the Covid contingency fund.
Most of the letter, sent on Friday, set out the ways in which the UK government is supporting Scotland directly, in health and economic funding, from furlough payments to shipbuilding contracts.
It said the contingency fund was mainly aimed at testing and vaccination, which are funded from UK central government.

New powers​

Mr Barclay wrote to the Scottish finance secretary: "While I recognise the devolved Scottish government has an important role to play, the overwhelming majority of Covid support to businesses and people across the UK is and will continue to be delivered through the UK Treasury.
"It is disappointing that your letter and your public comments generally fail to mention the depth of support that has been available and continues to be provided".
It went on: "The UK Shared Prosperity Fund will help to level up and create opportunity across the UK in places most in need.
It will operate UK-wide, using the new financial assistance powers in the UK Internal Market Act.
"We will ramp up funding so that total domestic UK-wide funding will at least match EU receipts on average reaching around £1.5bn a year.
In a statement, Ms Forbes said the change confirmed what the Scottish government had feared following the UK's exit from the EU.
"We need urgent reassurance that there will be a full replacement of all lost EU funds. Scotland must receive at least £1.283bn for a replacement seven-year programme for 2021-2027.
"It is also vital that control over any new arrangements remains in Scotland. Otherwise this threatens to be a significant power grab over Scotland's powers to target investment and to make decisions based on what's best for the people, businesses and communities of Scotland.
"I urge the Chancellor to provide clarity ahead of the Scottish Budget on 28 January."’

This will not come as a surprise to many meanwhile the regular Army in Scotland stand ready to assist in a vaccination program but the Nats would rather privatise it wonder who got the Kick Backs

mrboo

War Hero
This will not come as a surprise to many meanwhile the regular Army in Scotland stand ready to assist in a vaccination program but the Nats would rather privatise it wonder who got the Kick Backs

I believe the Scottish government has now asked has now asked for MOD help with the roll out. Only a week late

Johned

Old-Salt
"Management and Advisory wtf?" There is a strange aroma emanating from this so called deal which may not be in the best interests of the Scottish taxpayers lol!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I believe the Scottish government has now asked has now asked for MOD help with the roll out. Only a week late

We've had more than enough NHS staff to administer the amount of vaccine received.

And are mobilising and redeploying more.

Am not sure what capacity they would be needed for.

Unless we are suddenly going to be given huge amounts of the stuff.

mrboo

War Hero
We've had more than enough NHS staff to administer the amount of vaccine received.

And are mobilising and redeploying more.

Am not sure what capacity they would be needed for.

Unless we are suddenly going to be given huge amounts of the stuff.
Also not sure what use the army would be . But i believe the offer was given over a week ago to help with the distribution of the 331,800 vaccines Scotland had at that point.

had a look at the scotgov covid site today and was very disappointed to see that only about 220K vaccinations had been done to date - 3000 have received both doses. Unfortunately most of those numbers happened before xmas so something has clearly gone wrong either on the supply side or the deployment of it. I fully expected a better number after the first vaccine was cleared around a month ago.

Also not sure what use the army would be . But i believe the offer was given over a week ago to help with the distribution of the 331,800 vaccines Scotland had at that point.
Logistics, same as the rest of UK. Army teams have been invaluable in getting stuff sent to the right place at the right time.

had a look at the scotgov covid site today and was very disappointed to see that only about 220K vaccinations had been done to date - 3000 have received both doses. Unfortunately most of those numbers happened before xmas so something has clearly gone wrong either on the supply side or the deployment of it. I fully expected a better number after the first vaccine was cleared around a month ago.
My parents (late 80's) in Aberdeen got letter on Friday to go for Jag this Thursday at Dr's surgery.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Logistics, same as the rest of UK. Army teams have been invaluable in getting stuff sent to the right place at the right time.

I know that there was mention of them moving the Pfizer vaccine to hospitals but onward transport to the vaccine teams is NHS.

AZ vaccine is being transferred by NHS from hospital to GPs.

Up here anyway.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

The numbers given recently have been increasing rapidly.

In my experience prior to Xmas only a few NHS colleagues had received it.
Since then we are really getting into care homes and the over 80s via GPs.

Latest Threads