Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

When the £20 per week supplement goes, in March, try living on between £250 - £325 per calendar month. That's for everything except for rent - - that's if you're lucky enough to find a place that's less than your local average rent.
Good luck.
I'm a Tory and I'm ashamed of what decent people on hard times are put through if they're on UC.

In part I agree with you, but it doesn't account for those who make sitting on their arse a career choice.

One of my favourite phrases is that state welfare is supposed to be a safety net and not a hammock
Its really a question of how you seperate the needy from the lazy. Nobody seems to be able to find an effective way of doing that.

When the £20 per week supplement goes, in March, try living on between £250 - £325 per calendar month. That's for everything except for rent - - that's if you're lucky enough to find a place that's less than your local average rent.
Good luck.
I'm a Tory and I'm ashamed of what decent people on hard times are put through if they're on UC.
Yeah. Sounds terrible. I‘d hate to have to try and do it. That’s why I applied myself at school, got some qualifications and, since the age of 16 have pretty much not been out of work. Even managed to get some more qualifications while working.

Of course the only downside to all that is that I get the perk of paying into the pot for all the people struggling on UC. So I’m actually ok with it being a struggle because if you make it any easier then there is very little incentive to get off it. For me you should be able to live but have none of the niceties in life on UC. That seems to be where the issues come in. People living off the efforts of other people thinking they should be able to have the same standard of life as them. I know I don’t earn the same as Richard Branson so I realise I can’t have his lifestyle.

If you are on UC you have two options. Get off it or live within the means you are given.

When I finished my service I even had to move in order to ensure I found a decent job. How crazy an idea is that?

In part I agree with you, but it doesn't account for those who make sitting on their arse a career choice.

One of my favourite phrases is that state welfare is supposed to be a safety net and not a hammock
Its really a question of how you seperate the needy from the lazy. Nobody seems to be able to find an effective way of doing that.
That would be because as soon as any government tries to start doing it there are squeals from the usual suspects that they are targeting the left behind needy as if everyone on benefits is a saint who spends their every waking moment desperately searching for work. As ever in these things there is a middle ground. There are a percentage of benefit recipients who are looking to get out of the situation but there is equally a percentage who will languish on benefits forever if allowed. Not that the vocal objectors will ever agree and that is one of the problems in society. If we can’t agree that things are somewhere in the middle then how do we move onwards with solving the issues.

HCL

LE
Yeah. Sounds terrible. I‘d hate to have to try and do it. That’s why I applied myself at school, got some qualifications and, since the age of 16 have pretty much not been out of work. Even managed to get some more qualifications while working.

Of course the only downside to all that is that I get the perk of paying into the pot for all the people struggling on UC. So I’m actually ok with it being a struggle because if you make it any easier then there is very little incentive to get off it. For me you should be able to live but have none of the niceties in life on UC. That seems to be where the issues come in. People living off the efforts of other people thinking they should be able to have the same standard of life as them. I know I don’t earn the same as Richard Branson so I realise I can’t have his lifestyle.

If you are on UC you have two options. Get off it or live within the means you are given.

When I finished my service I even had to move in order to ensure I found a decent job. How crazy an idea is that?

You want people to be able to get jobs, decent paying ones it's very easy, send the immigrants back. It's that simple.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You want people to be able to get jobs, decent paying ones it's very easy, send the immigrants back. It's that simple.

You are aware internal UK migration is by far the biggest influx into Scotland?

You suggesting sending the English home again?
Perhaps to think again?

You are aware internal UK migration is by far the biggest influx into Scotland?

You suggesting sending the English home again?
Perhaps to think again?
Yes they did and looked what happened later. :)

As linked to elsewhere on Arrse (not by me) we have already seen a huge return of europeans to their own countries over the last year.
I believe it is more than a million people that have left the UK

Truxx

LE
It appears it's a very similar problem for meat as it is for fish.
Extraordinary that both consigners and consignees are doing the learning "in contact" as it were, rather than, as many have done, develop test and then train all their staff well in advance. As was pointed out to me a while ago, the need for checks and clearances was never not going to be there, and only tariffs and quota were going to alter as the true nature of the deal emerged.

For at least the last 12 months businesses have been told to prepare, with "no deal" being a likely scenario. But organisations and companies, particularly in haulage, sat on their hands at best or hinged at the willing media at worst.

And now they have been caught napping. Like so many things before from post foot and mouth vet checks to driver CPC the default setting for many is to adopt a "it will be all right on the night" approach.

Those companies that have got their sh1t together are steaming ahead of the pack. Expect another week or so of bollox and then it will be business as usual.

Last edited:
On last night's Reporting Scotland a Tarbert fisherman* suggested fishing boats weren't going out as a result of the delays to deliveries. Today AIS Shipping showed around eight in Loch Fyne and Kilbrannan Sound while the fish farms, which are serviced by Norwegian ships, were busy as well.

*not a b****y 'fisher'!

the wee town of Tarbert is alway worth visiting

Extraordinary that both consifners and consigned are doing the learning "in contact" as it were, rather than, as many have done, develop test and then train all their staff well in advance. As was pointed out to me a while ago, the need for checks and clearances was never not going to be there, and only tariffs and quota were going to alter as the true nature of the deal emerged.

For at least the last 12 months businesses have been told to prepare, with "no deal" being a likely scenario. But organisations and companies, particularly in haulage, sat on their hands at best or hinged at the willing media at worst.

And now they have been caught napping. Like so many things before from post foot and mouth vet checks to driver CPC the default setting for many is to adopt a "it will be all right on the night" approach.

Those companies that have got their sh1t together are steaming ahead of the pack. Expect another week or so of bollox and then it will be business as usual.
I also wonder how much of the large bundles of cash that UK Government sent to Scotland to assist businesses with the transition has been dished out by Scotlands mammy to businesses in need?

Truxx

LE
I also wonder how much of the large bundles of cash that UK Government sent to Scotland to assist businesses with the transition has been dished out by Scotlands mammy to businesses in need?
About a quarter I think.

And they are not alone. I can think of a number of industry bodies who have utterly failed to grasp the nettle and come up with a proper plan beyond bitching to the press.

I doubt even The Treasury in Whitehall know that.

Wings over Bath is having a good rant. It's actually quite an interesting article. What's telling is the moonhowlers in the comments. It brings joy to my frozen heart to see the infighting within the SNP and it's support getting more frenzied. Long may it continue.

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
Wings over Bath is having a good rant. It's actually quite an interesting article. What's telling is the moonhowlers in the comments. It brings joy to my frozen heart to see the infighting within the SNP and it's support getting more frenzied. Long may it continue.
I'm sorry but I lost the will to live reading that and my 'give-a-fck-ometer' stopped working. It just makes me think that if Scotland got independence we'd be the Zimbabwe of Europe, but without the weather.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Republic of Ireland was born out of violence, corruption, gangsterism and cronyism. Over a hundred years later it hasn’t managed to shake them off.

We are not there yet but there is a whiff of it coming from the Scottish government.

There are plenty of other European candidates for the Zim tag.

I totally agree he was - right up until Teresa May called an election and put forward the worst policies in human history, coupled with zero personality and completely lost her majority leaving the country in an absolute quagmire and for good measure let the EU walk all over her, agreed to pay an exorbitant ransom we had no need to do and attempted to force through the very worst deal in human history! compared to her, Brown wasn't as much of a useless cnut as I first thought:)
Massive difference between being a personality free PM as May was and being a completely inept, spiteful and dogma driven PM like Brown.

Old one eye is Scotland and Labours saviour!
It is ironic indeed that Brown is warning Sturgeon about pensions, after what he did to final salary pensions when he was chancellor!

The Republic of Ireland was born out of violence, corruption, gangsterism and cronyism. Over a hundred years later it hasn’t managed to shake them off.

We are not there yet but there is a whiff of it coming from the Scottish government.

There are plenty of other European candidates for the Zim tag.
I disagree over the corruption part the Irish legal system was quite reputable..

Latest Threads