Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Up here it's old folk in care homes before health care professionals.

Been told don't need a vaccine if I wear the correct PPE
That rings a bell.........I remember being told that it would be ok to spread my section of ten men out for about a kilometer on the West side of the Weser and wait for the anticipated Russian assault before engaging them and making a rapid withdrawal to an RV where we would dig in. The 18 inches of topsoil and sheet of wriggly tin would protect us even if a nuke fell about 1000 metres away........we'd be fine...............'they said'.

Get your jab my friend..................even if you have to dress up and smell like a 75 year old homeless druggy

ETA Training brochure attached
Joel Goodman Credit.jpg

Last edited:

NSP

LE
You get a like for being honest.
I've made no secret of my lack of military service on here. Apparently it is one of my redeeming features within this hallowed community (being open about it, not the lack of it, obviously). I chose instead to bin an uninteresting engineering career and run away to sea. Getting on for quarter of a century before the mast now. Or, rather, beneath it!!

NSP

LE
If you are fit and well, it's the same guidance across all 4nations.
The JCVI is UK wide.
What if you're not so fit and well? Got an underlying condition - asthma, say? Do you then get on ze list...?

NSP

LE
That'll involve travelling beyond his local area and break lockdown, though, so DIck's Dynamic Denizens will be all over him with an FPN for £10k - mainly because he's a) white, b) on his own or with a small group, c) not likely to go tonto in a way that fills YouTube with scenes of Plod bravely running away making a tactical withdrawal.

I've made no secret of my lack of military service on here. Apparently it is one of my redeeming features within this hallowed community (being open about it, not the lack of it, obviously). I chose instead to bin an uninteresting engineering career and run away to sea. Getting on for quarter of a century before the mast now. Or, rather, beneath it!!
Rum sodomy and the lash - I would never make a sailor, though the rum would be ok. I have a good friend with an impressive military background whose son had planned on the military via Welbeck. For whatever reason he went off to a seafaring college in Scotland and is now an experienced ships officer and enjoying both the job and the travel. He too will have tales to tell, much broader I suspect than the narrow span available to a foot soldier

NSP

LE
I would never make a sailor
Me, neither! I just ride the damn things; I don't know how to drive them.

Mind you, neither would Mr. Sulu these days...

Havila Jupiter14.jpg

Havila Jupiter16.jpg

Havila Jupiter17.jpg

Havila Jupiter18.jpg

And that's ten-year old technology...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What if you're not so fit and well? Got an underlying condition - asthma, say? Do you then get on ze list...?

Priority group 6.
  1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
  7. all those 60 years of age and over
  8. all those 55 years of age and over
  9. all those 50 years of age and over

We're still on groups 1&2.

It seems to be a common complaint.
Firstly, it seems that the French (quelle surprise) are being difficult which begs the question as to why the U.K. don’t reciprocate. The fish war will be drawn out by the French for the foreseeable I reckon.

Secondly, it was no shock that this paperwork was going to be required so what preparation was put in place before 31 December 2020?

Anyone would have thought that you would have been doing practice runs for weeks if not months before that date I’m preparation, you know like getting more vets (which I believe there is a shortage of) employed to do relevant checks etc.

While this is a failure at National government level the Scottish Government can’t dodge the ball completely, although as usual they are using the grievance card.

The SG were given a shit load of money to prepare companies for Brexit and don’t seem to have actually spent it, so why not and where is the cash being spent.

Common sense would dictate that you would prepare for worst case scenario albeit I do understand that there were issues with computer systems and why they weren’t running months before for the reason highlighted I don’t know.

I’m sure other countries import shellfish to the EU (thinking Africa/Far East), I’d have started by asking them.

Truxx

LE
Firstly, it seems that the French (quelle surprise) are being difficult which begs the question as to why the U.K. don’t reciprocate. The fish war will be drawn out by the French for the foreseeable I reckon.

Secondly, it was no shock that this paperwork was going to be required so what preparation was put in place before 31 December 2020?

Anyone would have thought that you would have been doing practice runs for weeks if not months before that date I’m preparation, you know like getting more vets (which I believe there is a shortage of) employed to do relevant checks etc.

While this is a failure at National government level the Scottish Government can’t dodge the ball completely, although as usual they are using the grievance card.

The SG were given a shit load of money to prepare companies for Brexit and don’t seem to have actually spent it, so why not and where is the cash being spent.

Common sense would dictate that you would prepare for worst case scenario albeit I do understand that there were issues with computer systems and why they weren’t running months before for the reason highlighted I don’t know.

I’m sure other countries import shellfish to the EU (thinking Africa/Far East), I’d have started by asking them.
No question, the French in particular are being cocks. No- one was able to test the IT system prior to midnight 31st December because they did not switch it on till 1130.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

From conversations with fisher folk, the issues were widespread and pretty much all laid at the foot of UK Gov
, lack of information/guidance, contradictory information/guidance, lack of dissemination of what paperwork would be, etc

Most of this can be put down to the fact that the actual deal was not struck until the last minute and that the terms around fishing were the last major sticking point.

Yes firms have put in preparations, For instance was speaking to someone who has set up a company in France. Nothing more than a shell office but it is now technically a French company landing fish in Scotland.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know it is the ‘daily hate’ but they do seem to have ‘found’ St Nic (pbuh) - Scottish civil servants spent £55,000 'preparing' for Salmond inquiry
A huge amount of taxpayer's money has been spent by the Scottish Government protecting themselves against the nasty Mr Salmond! What is particularly galling is this is basically an internal Party power struggle which we, instead of the SNP, are paying for!

The whole country is bring conned by the ScotGov.

A huge amount of taxpayer's money has been spent by the Scottish Government protecting themselves against the nasty Mr Salmond! What is particularly galling is this is basically an internal Party power struggle which we, instead of the SNP, are paying for!

The whole country is bring conned by the ScotGov.
What concerns me is that the Scottish Government has become an extension of the SNP. The civil service is there to facilitate and enact policy not spout the party line. Example below.

Questions have been asked;

Michael Gove calls on SNP Government to outline how it has spent Brexit money
15th December 2020

Responding, Mr Gove said: "It is the case that the money that the UK Government has supplied to the Scottish Government for Brexit preparation is, as you say, around £200m – just shy of it I think.

"But the key thing is that there has to be accountability for how that money is spent."

Latest Threads