Scottish Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fang_Farrier, Feb 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can you show they haven't? I can't be bothered searching, such details are likely to be hidden from us mere mortals, but it was to be used as an example of how "rules" may have been bent.

There is all sorts of things in place for refugees, including FE, so unless the SG says that these "special cases" are NOT being treated differently then the assumption is that they are treated differently.

And if that is the case, the SG does deserve all it gets over this.

2. So you prefer to moan about something that you have no idea if it happened or not just to have a go at the SG?

Come on, you'll be telling us you're Jeremy Corbyn next

3. Busy day for Nic the morrow...

4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Up here anyway, the Syrians had their support workers cut back quite quickly including translation services, the theory being that it would encourage integration.

No access to special care health services unless referred by the GP.

I did think that they would be seen by the Public Dental Service but we were told that they were to just go find a high street dentist.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Fang_Farrier

My current routine appointments are April.
    Though I have space every day set aside for emergency patients.

6. Must be wonderful when you can't see how there could be a valid example of where what you say is completely wrong.

7. What do they get re: further education, as that is what this is about re: Afghan translators NOT being given the status they are given elsewhere.

8. Fang_Farrier

No knowledge of any Afghans up here, just aware that the Syrians are getting no special treatment.
    All the ones I've knowledge of have been families with young kids so not at the FE stage.
    A period of intense support when they arrived and then left to get on with it (with social work oversight) .
    Though the ones on the western Isles were complaining of a lack of job opportunities!

9. Fang_Farrier

We haven't taken "minutes" at meetings for years.
    It's a dying art.
    There are however notes and the current trend is Action Plans.
    (a list of agreed activities with an assigned name or group)

Perhaps the right question wasn't asked!

10. The way it should be then, which does make a change (and I don't mean only Scotland there)

As far as FE goes, this is from 2008. Will have to see if it is still valid or not.

Helping You Meet the Cost of Learning: Asylum Seekers, Refugees, Migrant Workers and Non-UK EU Nationals: A Guide to Funding 2008-09 - for Practitioners Giving Advice

These Afghans will be more likely to fall into the "Other form of Leave to Remain" category if they have not been granted Refugee Status. That means the 3 year minimum does not count.

I'm sure @dun_n_dusted can find something that is updated, if there has been such an update to the above.

11. Semantics.

12. Fang_Farrier

Not at all, just a technicality.
    Minutes, the truest sense, are a line by line record of who said what. Such highly detailed records have long disappeared, replaced by other means.

reporter asked are their minutes of the meeting
    Minister replied I'll check
    Civil servant answered minutes, no minutes.
    Minister relays no minutes were taken
    Reporter drops minister in it
    Civil servant suddenly reminds Minister that results of meeting were circulated

No minutes of meeting on Gormley's future
    "A spokesman for the Scottish government later confirmed to BBC Scotland that no minutes had been taken - meaning there was no official record of what was said during the meeting.

He said: "No minute of the meeting was produced. However, senior officials were present and communicated the conclusions of the meeting to relevant colleagues." "

13. Fang_Farrier

Two-tier system 'leaves refugees destitute'
    from 2017.highlights differences between refugees and resettled.

14. The problem of senior officials communicating is the opaqueness over the lack of minutes...
    Scottish Politics Thread

15. Fang_Farrier

I have lost count of the number of times when I have emailed about something a manager has offered to discuss over the phone rather than put anything in writing