Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

I think it's hard to differentiate within the NHS exactly who worked directly with Covid because potentially all patient fronting staff did.

Many of us may well have been in contact with Covid + without realising it.

Many staff volunteered to work with Covid + in the various accessory ICUs and Nightingale Hospitals but were never needed

The risks to NHS is actually low due to the PPE, in fact it should be nil if the PPE us worn correctly.

But yes, it is a political gesture, it is not necessary and it does leave many others who worked on equally throughout the pandemic unrewarded.
Everyone always forgets about the lab staff :(

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I know I have been praying for her to be found out for years but, this time, for the first time, she has started to be aggressively challenged by the media and within the party and wider cult - its just a race to see if she gets toppled before taking Scotland even further down the pan with her
By May next year, we could be back to some kind of normal. Then the task of paying back all the money we have borrowed will begin. All the Westminster govt. has to do is keep asking the question.
How will you pay for it and using what currency?
In the white paper of 2014 the SNP said they would inherit their share of the UK debt, that has just gone through the roof.
I think the that the SNP will probably have the most seats at the next election, but if it is reduced even by a few then they will have to find someone other than the Greens to share power with, or make up a multi-party administration. Is there any other party that wants independence apart from the Greens and the SNP?

The first minister obviously wants to go French on this one.......

Of course if you freeze wages in the public sector but introduce a four day week I’m sure they will paint it up as a wage increase.
Amazing all these nice things that are being "looked at" / promised / handed out / given at the moment. Anyone would think there's something happening in May.

While nurses will be cherished as angels
Dentists will never be forgotten for classics
Like driller killer or marathon man ;)

Not forgetting St Peter of the hammer, for his unorthodox methods of dentistry

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Everyone always forgets about the lab staff :(

My apologies, I didn't realise that you were lab.

I was obviously misled when you said you had a window you could see ambulances out of!

My apologies, I didn't realise that you were lab.

I was obviously misled when you said you had a window you could see ambulances out of!
Unfortunately for me, my office window looks directly out onto the Ambulance unloading bay. Happy to see the line waiting for drop off a bit less than it's been the past few weeks!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Good news everybody, in line with arrival of vaccine, dentists are among the staff groups being lined up to administer them.

As such I have spent the last two days doing online vaccine training.

12 modules, each an hour long.

I am now fully training in the theory of many childhood vaccines, the history of them, the time scales for delivering them etc.

What the Online training did not mention during all those hours, at any point, was Covid, Covid vaccinations, storage of covid vaccinations at -70'C, etc.

But I know all about MMR and many others, which I will not be administering.

Last edited:
Good news everybody, in line with arrival of vaccine, dentists are among the staff groups being lined up to administer them.

I am now fully training in the theory of many childhood vaccines, the history of them, the time scales for delivering them etc.

What the Online training did not mention during all those hours, at any point, was Covid, Covid vaccinations, storage of covid vaccinations at -70'C, etc.

But if an H&S issue occurs the NHS are properly arse-covered it can be shown that you have the requisite level of training. This will in turn prevent boring the population to death with "Lessons have been learned etc ........."

In Engerland the Royal Voluntary Service and NHS Volunteer Responders have just been invited (got email an hour ago) to assist in giving the vaccine. You can choose to be:
  • Volunteer Vaccinator - Under the supervision of healthcare professionals, Volunteer Vaccinators will be trained to deliver a vaccination to a patient. They will also be ready to act if a patient has an adverse reaction.
  • Vaccination Care Volunteer - This role will support patients all the way through, from arrival to discharge. They will help patients get to the right place to receive their vaccination and provide first aid if anyone has a medical emergency.
  • Volunteer Patient Advocate - This role will concentrate entirely on the welfare of patients, potentially looking after people and small groups all the way through the vaccination centres. If anyone has a medical emergency, a Volunteer Patient Advocate will be able to recognise it and get help quickly.
These roles are managed by St John Ambulance and can be done alongside your existing role as an NHS Volunteer Responder. A further role as a venue steward will be available to NHS Volunteer Responders soon.

I volunteered to be a vaccinator, always fancied giving people the jag :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In Engerland the Royal Voluntary Service and NHS Volunteer Responders have just been invited (got email an hour ago) to assist in giving the vaccine. You can choose to be:
  • Volunteer Vaccinator - Under the supervision of healthcare professionals, Volunteer Vaccinators will be trained to deliver a vaccination to a patient. They will also be ready to act if a patient has an adverse reaction.
  • Vaccination Care Volunteer - This role will support patients all the way through, from arrival to discharge. They will help patients get to the right place to receive their vaccination and provide first aid if anyone has a medical emergency.
  • Volunteer Patient Advocate - This role will concentrate entirely on the welfare of patients, potentially looking after people and small groups all the way through the vaccination centres. If anyone has a medical emergency, a Volunteer Patient Advocate will be able to recognise it and get help quickly.
These roles are managed by St John Ambulance and can be done alongside your existing role as an NHS Volunteer Responder. A further role as a venue steward will be available to NHS Volunteer Responders soon.

I volunteered to be a vaccinator, always fancied giving people the jag :)

Whilst it does not apply to myself, those general high street dentists who "volunteer" to give vaccinations will get £230 a session

Gabion Groyne

Old-Salt
Saw this elsewhere and copied it straight from there

Funnily enough I’ve just heard a report tonight of negotiations earlier this week between an overseas company looking at basing its European operations in Scotland and the Scottish Government.

They were apparently stunned at the lack of professionalism from the SG side and their inability to answer basic questions. It got to the stage where the FM turned up at the meeting to try and rescue it but couldn’t give any assurances on basic issues like tax, government support or post independence scenarios. They have gone home.
That's what happens when you try and negotiate with Toon Cooncillors and I must admit, I'm not surprised.

A friend of mine who used to work for a world respected operation in the West of Scotland told me a similar story about a very large Far Eastern company who wanted to develop a project using their expertise and facilities. A joint agreement was proposed between the SG and the *** Government but it quickly went t*ts-up and they pulled out. Basically, they hadn't a clue.

giatttt

Old-Salt
What happens when the modified RNA vaccine gets above -70? Does it stop working (die) or are we talking about a rather grotesque Dr Who style ending for the recipients?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What happens when the modified RNA vaccine gets above -70? Does it stop working (die) or are we talking about a rather grotesque Dr Who style ending for the recipients?

No idea, as I said, no element of Covid was mentioned during the online training!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Does your blood need to be -70 degrees for the vaccine to work? :rolleyes:

The scientist said it needs to be stored and transported at -70 but when ready for use can go in to a normal fridge and be okay for several days. Not sure how long but no doubt planners will be working that out. It ain't rocket science :)

giatttt

Old-Salt
That's what happens when you try and negotiate with Toon Cooncillors and I must admit, I'm not surprised.

A friend of mine who used to work for a world respected operation in the West of Scotland told me a similar story about a very large Far Eastern company who wanted to develop a project using their expertise and facilities. A joint agreement was proposed between the SG and the *** Government but it quickly went t*ts-up and they pulled out. Basically, they hadn't a clue.
To be fair there have been a few inward investment "opportunities" that have been thinly disguised efforts to trouser large sums of SG cash. Lite On was always a bit suspect, but the good news is that they do go and claw back the money if the jobs have not appeared. Others like the Vestas plant in Campletown reek of government incompetence - IIRC they went ahead on the agreement that the council/government would upgrade the port, that didn't happen and eventually they threw in the towel after a few years of taking blades to the docks in Glasgow by road.

Latest Threads