Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Dredd

LE
Wee Nic is trying to buy the next election: free school breakfast and lunch, £200 to 'poor families' , £500 bonus to all doctors and nurses. Just where is this "extra" money coming from?

No doubt as the fact the SNP have virtually no policy and virtually no Bills passed in the Wee Goose will be ignored in the run up. Each time an SNP person is asked about this or about the f*CK up that is the Salmond inquiry we will just hear "but we have given money to....."

Now I know that this is not new and government's from all Parties have done this over the years, but this is not even subtle. No doubt that if Westminster refuses to waive the tax on the NHS bonus then that will be all we hear about for months/years/decades/eons!

Westminster should NOT refuse!!!!

It should just ignore her, as if she isn't there.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wee Nic is trying to buy the next election: free school breakfast and lunch, £200 to 'poor families' , £500 bonus to all doctors and nurses. Just where is this "extra" money coming from?

No doubt as the fact the SNP have virtually no policy and virtually no Bills passed in the Wee Goose will be ignored in the run up. Each time an SNP person is asked about this or about the f*CK up that is the Salmond inquiry we will just hear "but we have given money to....."

Now I know that this is not new and government's from all Parties have done this over the years, but this is not even subtle. No doubt that if Westminster refuses to waive the tax on the NHS bonus then that will be all we hear about for months/years/decades/eons!
They are now blaming the Tories and Westminster as these bonuses are going to be hit by Income Tax

It's a blatant bit of rabble rousing and electioneering, all tax revenues raised in Scotland go straight to the Scottish Government, it's within their powers to negate this by either raising the threshold or providing a rebate.

IMG_20201130_235146.jpg

They get to cast themselves as the nice compassionate ones (awarding a bonus to our NHS hero) and Westminster has evil (stealing it from our heroes in tax). This will play well with the party faithful and majority ignorance of current taxation arrangements. As Andrew Wilson said the Perception that the SNP are more competent and nicer than Westminster is more important than the reality.

They are now blaming the Tories and Westminster as these bonuses are going to be hit by Income Tax

It's a blatant bit of rabble rousing and electioneering, all tax revenues raised in Scotland go straight to the Scottish Government, it's within their powers to negate this by either raising the threshold or providing a rebate.

View attachment 525215

They get to cast themselves as the nice compassionate ones (awarding a bonus to our NHS hero) and Westminster has evil (stealing it from our heroes in tax). This will play well with the party faithful and majority ignorance of current taxation arrangements. As Andrew Wilson said the Perception that the SNP are more competent and nicer than Westminster is more important than the reality.
Couple of papers making the point today:
The Treasury said any income tax levied on the £500 bonus would be collected by the Scottish government, so Sturgeon could increase the bonus to cover the tax lost, and then eventually recoup that via increased tax revenues.
“The income tax on these payments is paid to Scotland, not Westminster – and the Scottish government has the powers and funding to cover the tax owed on the payment if it wishes,” a spokesman said.

A cynical move that seems to have drawn favour going by the social media response on the STV news link of this announcement yesterday evening. PBUH :smile:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As much as it pains me to say it again, the only way to put a dent in their stranglehold in May is for everyone who is against them and their ideology to vote for one party. At the moment the anti SNP vote is diluted by spreading it between a few parties. The only reasonable solution is to vote for Labour, and it makes me feel ill to say that. There is no way to convince certain of the voters to vote Conservative so we must vote Scottish Labour in May to get the message across that the SNP do not speak for the whole of Scotland. Nowhere near.

Sir may I direct you to post #3 On this thread.

Dredd

LE
On Faceache last night, there was an ad for Yougov Chat, where it asked if Chief Mammy was being seen to do better in managing the 'crisis' or not. Some of the responses were heartening, as the intial responses (probably because cyberNats inform each other of places to troll) started on how wonderful she was - but many of the replies were the exact opposite.

The message may just be getting through.

Wish I had taken a screenshot now though - just looked at their page and this one seems to have been pulled. Ominous. I am going to send a message asking what happened to it.

On Faceache last night, there was an ad for Yougov Chat, where it asked if Chief Mammy was being seen to do better in managing the 'crisis' or not. Some of the responses were heartening, as the intial responses (probably because cyberNats inform each other of places to troll) started on how wonderful she was - but many of the replies were the exact opposite.

The message may just be getting through.

Wish I had taken a screenshot now though - just looked at their page and this one seems to have been pulled. Ominous. I am going to send a message asking what happened to it.
Just looking at the posts on the SNP FB page, nowadays there seems to be many more posts questioning them instead of the blind adulation with a couple of trolls. I definitely think the worm is beginning to turn. Whether this will be fast enough before May 2021 remains to be seen.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Couple of papers making the point today:
The Treasury said any income tax levied on the £500 bonus would be collected by the Scottish government, so Sturgeon could increase the bonus to cover the tax lost, and then eventually recoup that via increased tax revenues.
“The income tax on these payments is paid to Scotland, not Westminster – and the Scottish government has the powers and funding to cover the tax owed on the payment if it wishes,” a spokesman said.
This makes it look like the First Minister does not even know how the tax system worked, a basic skill for the job one would think. If she really had wanted to score points then she could have announced a £400 bonus and the ScotGov would pick up the tax by paying £500!

As it is she has just come out as petty with the bleating about tax.

I have no problems with giving NHS staff a bonus as they have stood up to the mark when this struck. Just pissed off with politicising it by blaming Westminster for something that had not happened and was not their issue anyway!

This makes it look like the First Minister does not even know how the tax system worked, a basic skill for the job one would think. If she really had wanted to score points then she could have announced a £400 bonus and the ScotGov would pick up the tax by paying £500!

I have no problems with giving NHS staff a bonus as they have stood up to the mark when this struck. Just pissed off with politicising it by blaming Westminster for something that had not happened and was not their issue anyway!
I said similar elsewhere, alongside the quotes from the tweet further up and also the treasury spokesman's reply and there are still a couple of nats saying it is unfair and they - "the English" - should be doing something about it :roll:

It's the SNP way, always blame Westmonster and make headlines look as if everything bad is Westmonsters fault but everything good (look, free money everyone!) is down to the SNP.

Run away when any hard questions get asked.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fraser Allander Institute on the bonus stooshie

Politics
As if the SNP wanted any facts and common sense to come in to the debate. It is quite simple, SNP - good and giving money (which is taxpayers' money anyway) and Westminster - bad as they want to tax it (in fact they don't as tax collection is now a Holyrood issue)

So please continue the SNP mantra of Westmonster bad if you please.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As you might expect been hearing a bit about the £500 the day at work.

It appears that the term NHS workers will also cover those who provide NHS services whilst not actually NHS employees.

So as stated before, I work direct for local Health Board, salaried, so I will get it.

However it looks like that those High Street Dentists and their staff will get it.

As will opticians and pharmacists. Not sure how that will work out for the likes of Boots but letter I saw definitely mentioned both those groups. Unfortunately I was just shown it on a dentists phone rather than sent a copy I can quote.

GPs and their staff, again not direct NHS employees will also get the money

As you might expect been hearing a bit about the £500 the day at work.

It appears that the term NHS workers will also cover those who provide NHS services whilst not actually NHS employees.

So as stated before, I work direct for local Health Board, salaried, so I will get it.

However it looks like that those High Street Dentists and their staff will get it.

As will opticians and pharmacists. Not sure how that will work out for the likes of Boots but letter I saw definitely mentioned both those groups. Unfortunately I was just shown it on a dentists phone rather than sent a copy I can quote.

GPs and their staff, again not direct NHS employees will also get the money
Scotlands mammy is just the best! If only she had more powers just think how great Scotland would be!
No idea where the money would come from though....

Not NHS Scotland, but the NHS in general are heroes to a (wo)man.

I saw first hand today the front line trenches in which they're fighting the good fight.

I presented myself to a very busy orthopaedic dept to see a consultant and went to the reception desk to check in, where I had to wait a considerable time for her to finish a phone call, fair enough.

What piqued my interest in the meantime was the other two receptionists sat alongside Ms Busy Bee, who were engaged in making Christmas decorations.

Now, I'm all for a bit of seasonal cheer as much as the next patient, but FFS, priorities people!

I do hope this cash bonus extends to the angels I saw today, bless them.

Not NHS Scotland, but the NHS in general are heroes to a (wo)man.

I saw first hand today the front line trenches in which they're fighting the good fight.

I presented myself to a very busy orthopaedic dept to see a consultant and went to the reception desk to check in, where I had to wait a considerable time for her to finish a phone call, fair enough.

What piqued my interest in the meantime was the other two receptionists sat alongside Ms Busy Bee, who were engaged in making Christmas decorations.

Now, I'm all for a bit of seasonal cheer as much as the next patient, but FFS, priorities people!

I do hope this cash bonus extends to the angels I saw today, bless them.
You were fortunate to get past the front door.

Latest Threads