Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Quite - I do think however that between this and their ‘speaking for the whole of Scotland’ regarding independence and of course Brexit may lose them a few seats, not enough I’d wager but maybe more than they bargained for.
Was talking to a work colleague and we both came to the conclusion that holding our noses and voting Labour in the Scottish Parliament Elections is about the only realistic way to send a message. It may not result in the SNP losing power totally but if they lose sufficient seats they may get the idea that independence is not popular. Voting Tory is a wasted vote as you cannot convince enough people to do the same and just results in a split opposition vote.
It’s fairly safe as the worst that could happen is Scottish Labour running Scotland for a few years. It won’t get Labour into power at Westminster like at a General Election.
Hopefully, as the SNP are making noise about another effing referendum, it should be possible to make the election about sending a message that it’s not wanted.

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Was talking to a work colleague and we both came to the conclusion that holding our noses and voting Labour in the Scottish Parliament Elections is about the only realistic way to send a message. It may not result in the SNP losing power totally but if they lose sufficient seats they may get the idea that independence is not popular. Voting Tory is a wasted vote as you cannot convince enough people to do the same and just results in a split opposition vote.
It’s fairly safe as the worst that could happen is Scottish Labour running Scotland for a few years. It won’t get Labour into power at Westminster like at a General Election.
Hopefully, as the SNP are making noise about another effing referendum, it should be possible to make the election about sending a message that it’s not wanted.
Held my nose and voted Labour a few times in Dunfermline in both GE's and Scottish elections. Very nearly came off in 2017 when our very own useless SNP MP Douglas Chapman held on by about 900 votes from Labour's Cara Hilton, down from a 10,000 majority in 2015. Unfortunately the chimp got a sizeable majority again in 2019! My folks do the same in Helensburgh which helped Jackie Baillie at the last Scottish Parliament elections. It remains to be seen if the SNP can get a semi-serious kick in the stones like they did in 2017 if enough of the electorate are motivated against a manifesto promise of another referendum.

Held my nose and voted Labour a few times in Dunfermline in both GE's and Scottish elections. Very nearly came off in 2017 when our very own useless SNP MP Douglas Chapman held on by about 900 votes from Labour's Cara Hilton, down from a 10,000 majority in 2015. Unfortunately the chimp got a sizeable majority again in 2019! My folks do the same in Helensburgh which helped Jackie Baillie at the last Scottish Parliament elections. It remains to be seen if the SNP can get a semi-serious kick in the stones like they did in 2017 if enough of the electorate are motivated against a manifesto promise of another referendum.
Well given the rhetoric from the SNP, of a referendum being needed in 2021, the opposition unionist parties need to make the Scottish Parliament Elections into a mini referendum on having a referendum. Much like the 2019 U.K. General Election turned into a referendum on having a people’s vote on Brexit. They might get enough people’s attention if they do.

At what point is it unreasonable to expect that parents should actually feed their own children breakfast and lunch, including during school holidays, instead of it costing £230m a year?

Get a grip Mick

If they cannot afford fanny pads sanitary products, what makes you think they could afford to feed their own children ;) ;)

Get a grip Mick

If they cannot afford fanny pads sanitary products, what makes you think they could afford to feed their own children ;) ;)
I forgot.... I’ll just go and give my head a wobble.

I suppose they will interview someone who says it’ll be great and totally necessary like the Eastern European woman filmed in Glasgow who was saying she was so happy to get free sanitary goods as she struggled.

Perhaps if the interview hadn’t been done socially distanced on the doorstep of her new terraced house showing a new looking Nissan Duke on the driveway it would have been slightly more palatable........

I am starting to dispair( a bit more than usual)
I make an analogy independence is like Two teenagers , whose parents have gone on hollidy , and have left them in charge of the house with strict orders, NO PARTY!. Except they have decided to have a couple of mates around , and they have decided to invite a couple of their mates et all. Eventually the house is full to bursting with unrully young people, who have no respect for other people or their property , and eventually the house gets badly trashed , and the two kids look at it when they awake from a drunken night before and see the damage that has been done, WTF are we going to tell Mum and Dad tomorrow when they get home , we are in deep shit... Mum and Dad get home and after the sparks have all settled , they get the house sorted out back to what it was, using their insurance policy to pay for any structural damage......... Now imagine the same scenario, but this time it isn't your parents house, it's your own house, and you've allowed this party to happen..... this is now getting serious, it no longer is a football or rugby match between Scotland and England (come on Scotland !) this is the future of our nation when the sheep eventually vote this incompetent shower back in and then vote for independence , and Babcocks at Rosyth and on the Clyde don't get any MOD contracts , and the Nukes out of Scotland Brigade get their way and Faslane and holy loch close down annd the yanks go home , and we aren't in the EU because we have a massive deficit, and don't meet the required entry levels (and anyway, Spain is going to Veto our entrance because of the Catalan problem, and our SNP government supporting them) at least ten years without the UK treasury to fall back on and no help from EU . Maybe this next referendum UK needs to take the gloves off, there's your share of the oil , Banett stops supplying cash to Scotland ( but not the other devolved UK nations), and tariffs get imposed on non UK members destroying our trade with England, wont make much difference to me , I'm now in my twilight years and probably wont be around when the shit really hits the fan....some of you will unfortunately

Bit of a Barny developing around cherry
Thanks I just perused twtter, I may need to cleanse my mind soul and eyes with enough whisky to make @jockparamedic check my liver later

B3CB434D-9F53-4CD0-8DBA-2937B5404D6C.jpeg

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Have been working throughout in the Urgent Dental Care Centres and visited numerous different care homes, hospitals and patients in their own homes.

Every time I have asked my management should I not be tested, the answer has always been no.

homeworker

War Hero

Have been working throughout in the Urgent Dental Care Centres and visited numerous different care homes, hospitals and patients in their own homes.

Every time I have asked my management should I not be tested, the answer has always been no.
Not unlike me, I work for the ambulance service and I have never been tested.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Maybe you are asking the wrong question. Try "Why am I not being tested?". The answer will probably be that they don't have the test kits.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Maybe you are asking the wrong question. Try "Why am I not being tested?". The answer will probably be that they don't have the test kits.

Already ahead of you. I am not in a staff group to be tested. I suspect that the folk in charge forget that some dentists visit care homes. Often several in the same day.

There is a degree of anxiety that, although highly unlikely, if asymptomatic then could cause serious harm.

Latest Threads