Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The civil war within the SNP continues apace. Subtext seems to be that gropey Salmond and his supporter MacAskill didn't care as much about the victims of child abuse as the current saintly FM and her supporter Swinney.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the child abuse inquiry but all about smearing Eck and trying to deflect from Sturgeon and Swinney hiding the evidence from Eck's own inquiry.

The SNP senior team really are scum.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My scottish wing of the family complain they're can't understand a thing of my mackem/sunderland accent, or my sons posh geordie and the feelings are mutual... Oddly after a few pints, I find you do start to understand each other better and alcohol really is the great universal communicator.
Something of an oxymoron!

This has absolutely nothing to do with the child abuse inquiry but all about smearing Eck and trying to deflect from Sturgeon and Swinney hiding the evidence from Eck's own inquiry.

To be Honest I think there is a bit of truth to this Salmond pre 2014 was cosying up to the Catholic church a fair bit ( see the below Quote from Cardinal Obrien) Salmond is/was an expert in the political two step and would not wish to upset powerful Allies.

In an interview with the University of St Andrews philosopher John Haldane, published in the Catholic Herald in October 2006, O'Brien stated that he would be "happy" if Scots voted for independence and predicted that independence is coming "before too long". He drew parallels with the independence of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland: "it is difficult to argue that ecclesiastical independence is acceptable but political independence is not".[102]

To counter the Gaelic/English argument, I'll just throw this into the equation

Very good article and I must say that speaking non-Gaelic Jockanese helped a lot when learning German. Apart from a few German words it helped not at all in the Slavic area of speech :)

To be Honest I think there is a bit of truth to this Salmond pre 2014 was cosying up to the Catholic church a fair bit ( see the below Quote from Cardinal Obrien) Salmond is/was an expert in the political two step and would not wish to upset powerful Allies.

In an interview with the University of St Andrews philosopher John Haldane, published in the Catholic Herald in October 2006, O'Brien stated that he would be "happy" if Scots voted for independence and predicted that independence is coming "before too long". He drew parallels with the independence of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland: "it is difficult to argue that ecclesiastical independence is acceptable but political independence is not".[102]
The 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum - Uneven and unequal political geographies - OpenLearn - Open University

" The results of Lord Ashcroft’s Referendum exit poll suggest that there is something of a relationship between religious affiliation and referendum voting patterns. 57% of Catholics voted YES while only 30.9% of Protestants voted likewise. The majority of Catholics, non-Christians, and those professing no religion all supported Scottish Independence. It was only the votes of the majority of Protestants which saved the union. Here the sense of Britishness is considerably higher than in other sections of the population, so once more this suggests that there are multiple factors at work."

No surprise there then. And before the howls of outrage I am the Worlds Worst Catholic. But I received my education via the excellent system in place in Scotland in the '50's and '60's.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

My take on it also when I watched the news.

I am no fan of Salmond but Swindley was trying to make out it was the current hierarchy that pushed for it as Eck dismissed it, inferring he didn’t care, when in fact, as Swindley quietly then had to mention, Salmond actually just wanted to know if spending money on an enquiry that would end up in not much more than an apology that nothing was done at the time was a proportionate way to spend government money.

As painful as it may have been for victims it’s something that needed to be put forward at that meeting.

Here we go again...... must be difficult trying to keep the party faithful from splintering whilst knowing your not going to get the U.K. government to agree.

#snpgrievancefest2021
For SNP conference, read independence rally. At the end of the conference it will be interesting to see if any actual policies have been voted on, you know like trying to improve health and education, that sort of thing.

The hardliners in the party are pushing and pushing, so Sturgeon is being forced to "cry freedom". They are going to get a mighty shock after the next Scottish election, when regardless of the outcome Westminster will not be allowing a referendum any time soon and certainly not next year.

I predict many tears. Meanwhile the long suffering people of Scotland will have to endure more failing schools and hospitals.

For SNP conference, read independence rally. At the end of the conference it will be interesting to see if any actual policies have been voted on, you know like trying to improve health and education, that sort of thing.

The hardliners in the party are pushing and pushing, so Sturgeon is being forced to "cry freedom". They are going to get a mighty shock after the next Scottish election, when regardless of the outcome Westminster will not be allowing a referendum any time soon and certainly not next year.

I predict many tears. Meanwhile the long suffering people of Scotland will have to endure more failing schools and hospitals.
Quite - I do think however that between this and their ‘speaking for the whole of Scotland’ regarding independence and of course Brexit may lose them a few seats, not enough I’d wager but maybe more than they bargained for.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wonder if any mention will be made of the unwillingness of the First Minister to supply information to the investigating committee on Salmond - or rather on how the First Minister and her coven dealt with the Salmond issue.

Quite - I do think however that between this and their ‘speaking for the whole of Scotland’ regarding independence and of course Brexit may lose them a few seats, not enough I’d wager but maybe more than they bargained for.
I'd like to think so too, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it. In the UK we are currently experiencing a large amount of Meh, except for those focussing on anything negative to bash the government (and Boris) with and specific issues that agitators are angling for.

When* the next independence referendum happens that's when the arguments and falling out will start for real, for the SNP/Greens supporters v the rest of the Nation and families and friends will be torn apart yet again.

* I say when but don't expect it imminently, many more things to take precedence over the seperatists

I wonder if any mention will be made of the unwillingness of the First Minister to supply information to the investigating committee on Salmond - or rather on how the First Minister and her coven dealt with the Salmond issue.
Not a chance, may result in inter faction fighting at the event, not a good look.

And here we go with more carrot from the SNP! I honestly dont understand how people in Scotland think all this "free" stuff will be paid for. Of course, "you'll only get this if the SNP win the next election!"

Absolute fecking creatures, the lot of them!

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
My gabber was well and truly flasted this morning watching BBC1 Breakfast. Rachel Burden actually took Kate Forbes to task. First time I have heard primetime BBC saying that Nicola Sturgeon has 'got away with' her poor performance dealing with COVID and that she isn't any better cop than anyone else, and, that Scotland's death rate is worse than other similar sized countries. Cue much blinking and fluster from the Wee Free attendee. Chris Musson at the Scottish Currant Bun seems to be the only non-Daily Wail or Sexpress scribe who is holding the Chief Mammy by the short and curlies at the moment (apologies for painting that particular horrible picture at lunchtime folks).

Last edited:

Latest Threads