Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Politics Thread

I expect the Chinese would, probably in return for a couple of naval bases and airfields.

IMHO this is the deep strategic risk for Britain/ the west in Scotland going independent. Scotland will immediately become an economic basket case, so it'll have to either inveigle its into the EU as a net recipient of funds (against huge competition and a shrivelled EU budget), or go and find a wealthy benefactor who sees some value in Scotland's limited pool of quantifiable assets and real estate.

Might sound risible now, but we're probably not far off China moving to full global basing and pushing a few Cuba-style confrontations.
That or get a billionaire capitalist to buy it. :eek:

Dual carriageway stop at the Tore roundabout unless you count the overtaking sections at Nigg and Navisdale
It is a Scotland thing, I failed my first driving test in Castle Douglas because it was market day and the High Street was so full of tractors and sheep trailers we could only drive 1/2 mile.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It is a Scotland thing, I failed my first driving test in Castle Douglas because it was market day and the High Street was so full of tractors and sheep trailers we could only drive 1/2 mile.

The Lairg test centre is popular because you can sit a test safe in the knowledge that you will not face a roundabout, dual carriageway or any traffic lights.

The Lairg test centre is popular because you can sit a test safe in the knowledge that you will not face a roundabout, dual carriageway or any traffic lights.
But it was a bit of a shock coming down from KLB to discover that they didn’t have single track roads (with grass growing down he middle)

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
UK politics, just read an article in one of todays papers analysing the leader of The Oppositions first year in office. Great line that describes claims Keir Starmer is a better strategist than Jeremy Corbyn are like saying 'I'm a better juggler than Abu Hamza'.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To counter the Gaelic/English argument, I'll just throw this into the equation

There are a few more on you tube and there is Doric TV on the net

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

There are a few more on you tube and there is Doric TV on the net
Excellent, but try it with captions on. Hilarious as they try to interpret the soundtrack! :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The civil war within the SNP continues apace. Subtext seems to be that gropey Salmond and his supporter MacAskill didn't care as much about the victims of child abuse as the current saintly FM and her supporter Swinney.

Just out of interest for those of us who went to boarding school courtesy of the old BSA, the next phase of child abuse inquiry is dealing with boarding schools.

They are looking for folk willing to discuss their experience at boarding schools in the past.

mrboo

War Hero
Dingwall or Dungwall to the locals used to be a good place for a driving test as it had a one way system. And i believe Wick only has the roundabout for the driving test.

S-mise

War Hero
I sat all my lessons in Grantown and booked my test there. Due to unknown reasons my test was cancelled and moved to Inverness........

I needn’t have worried as it was pretty easy.....

My brother failed his because he spotted Robbie Coltrane walking on the pavement outside foxes and pointed him out to the examiner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember in the early years of leaving Scotland and talking to people from all over the UK, and them asking "Hang on, who's Ken?"
My scottish wing of the family complain they're can't understand a thing of my mackem/sunderland accent, or my sons posh geordie and the feelings are mutual... Oddly after a few pints, I find you do start to understand each other better and alcohol really is the great universal communicator.

Latest Threads