Scottish Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fang_Farrier, Feb 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What? Of course it does. Are you really claiming that a bridge is no more effective a transport method than a ferry? Have you started drinking early?

2. Makes no difference, in severe weather there will be no option to get to/from Skye, unlike crossing the Tay, Forth, Dornoch Firth, etc.

That means it is nothing like the mainland.

3. It doesn't stop an island being an island, no matter what you or a numpty thinks

4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It was radio, the context was the physical bedding in of the roadway on the bridge itself.
    Not the public getting used to the new layout and signage

5. Out of curiosity, what is the road surface made from? Asphalt or concrete?

The reason is simple, asphalt "leaks" oils out so the road surface does not have the same "grip" and, obviously, braking distances are increased because of that lower friction.

That can also be another reason for keeping speeds down, until that process is complete.

An example of what I mean is seen regularly in Holland where signs are put up warning people that the road surface is new and that braking distances WILL be increased because of the oils from the asphalt.

6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The bridge itself is a series of concrete blocks bolted together with "concrete welds" to create a continuous surface with no expansion joints. The roadway was then laid on top of it.

7. Right, so the surface isn't concrete (I ain't been there to see it, and I can think of better things to do than go look at a bridge) so, and looking at the pic below, oils from the asphalt could also be a reason for limited speed, alongside the unfinished works.

[​IMG]

8. Personally, I always thought the clue was in the name.....

9. Capture.PNG

:lol:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  10. As I say, in the logic of the Numpty, Great Britain cannot be an island as it has a train tunnel to France.

Do you think he would say that?

11. Is there a cycle path or are they integrated with the heavy traffic?

12. Good. Because there is nothing to say.

I despaired at how this was reported - total over-exaggeration and completely missing the point he was making. It just demonstrated how poor our journalistic standards have fallen, pandering to a lowest common denominator for the sake of sh1ts and giggles rather than debate the real issue.

13. But it does if you are going to designate one area for special provisions or financial assistance and not another. Until recent times the Isle of Skye was only connected to the mainland by a regular ferry service but now it has a permanent link to the mainland. In theory, you can get in your car in Portree and not get back out (barring rest stops) until you get to Portsmouth and never once get on a boat. You cannot say the same for Tarbert. Or Kirkwall. So why does Portree, or Dunvegan, or Armadale, deserve special assistance when Wick, or Ullapool, or Campbeltown, do not?

14. Don't know/.Looking at the picture above, I think it looks as if they have to go along with everyone else.

15. Please sir I know!! It's all the fault of those b@stards in Westmonster!

• Funny Funny x 2